* cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-08-31 17:28 Joseph Buchignani
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2010-08-31 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Org-mode,

I've read all the mailing lists and manuals and still can't get my org-habit
module working.

I presume there ought to be some sort of entry in my agenda, or the "k" key
should do something. I get nothing. Here is my setup:

   - org-mode 7.01h
   - emacs file included below.

The relevant portion is (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit), which I have
enabled in my .emacs, to no avail.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
JB

my .emacs file:
;; Org-mode settings
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
;;;; Org mode upgrade settings
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
;; (setq load-path (cons "/usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/org/" load-path))
(require 'org-install)
;; org mode agenda enabling
(setq org-agenda-files (list
"~/Desktop/Dropbox/6repos/ubu/Repository/org-mode/agenda.org"))
;; making org pretty
;; (setq org-startup-indented t)

;; make logbook in drawer
(setq org-log-into-drawer "LOGBOOK")

;; Enable habit tracking
;;(require 'org-habit)
(add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit)

;; better pasting between programs
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(x-select-enable-clipboard t)
 '(x-select-enable-primary nil))

(setq global-visual-line-mode 1)

(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/dunpeel/freex/")
   (load "freex-conf.el")

--
Ignore the following. It is a nonsense sentence that disables Google ads
from displaying next to my emails by triggering sensitive keywords.

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a
messy bloodbath.

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-01  6:34 ` Noorul Islam K M
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTi=6h8+txvmRUVEBDd@mail.gmail.com>
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-09-01  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Buchignani; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Org-mode,
>
> I've read all the mailing lists and manuals and still can't get my org-habit
> module working.
>
> I presume there ought to be some sort of entry in my agenda, or the "k" key
> should do something. I get nothing. Here is my setup:
>

>    - org-mode 7.01h
>    - emacs file included below.
>
> The relevant portion is (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit), which I have
> enabled in my .emacs, to no avail.
>
> What am I missing?

In the org-file do you have the property STYLE set has `habit' for the
TODO Item?

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-01  6:51   ` Joseph Buchignani
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTi=6h8+txvmRUVEBDd@mail.gmail.com>
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2010-09-01  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Yes, here is how it looks:

** TODO [#A] eat fat daily
SCHEDULED: <2010-09-02 Thu .+1d>
:LOGBOOK:
- State "CANCELLED"  from "TODO"       [2010-09-01 Wed 01:33]
- State "CANCELLED"  from "TODO"       [2010-09-01 Wed 01:33]
- State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-09-01 Wed 01:02]
:END:
:PROPERTIES:
:LAST_REPEAT: [2010-09-01 Wed 01:33]
:STYLE: habit
:END:

--

@ 2010-09-02  3:07     ` Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-09-02  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, here is how it looks:

Hi Joseph
The following item has been working fine for me. However I can't see any glaring
differences wrt to your example item.

** TODO Add MCQs
   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-03 Fri .+1d/4d>
   - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-09-02 Thu 07:51]
   - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-08-25 Wed 15:52]
  :PROPERTIES:
  :STYLE: habit
  :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-09-02 Thu 07:51]
  :END:

Rather than use 'modules' I just have
(require 'org-habit)
in my .emacs -- maybe that is worth trying.

Paul

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-02  6:48       ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-09-02  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> writes:

> Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, here is how it looks:
>
> Hi Joseph
> The following item has been working fine for me. However I can't see any glaring
> differences wrt to your example item.
>

> ** TODO Add MCQs
>    SCHEDULED: <2010-09-03 Fri .+1d/4d>
>    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-09-02 Thu 07:51]
>    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-08-25 Wed 15:52]
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :STYLE: habit
>   :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-09-02 Thu 07:51]
>   :END:
>

> Rather than use 'modules' I just have
> (require 'org-habit)
> in my .emacs -- maybe that is worth trying.

For me, Joseph's example works if I use (require 'org-habit). I have not
tried with modules

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-02 14:40 ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTi=3_wpcFVKOu9sVQLCqit4-NQoj4Jx-G=eABuzG@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Buchignani; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani@gmail.com> writes:

> I presume there ought to be some sort of entry in my agenda, or the "k" key
> should do something. I get nothing. Here is my setup:
>
>   * org-mode 7.01h
>   * emacs file included below.
>
> The relevant portion is (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit), which I have
> enabled in my .emacs, to no avail.
>
> What am I missing?

Are you logging your DONE state?

From the manual:

  6. You must also have state logging for the `DONE' state enabled, in
     order for historical data to be represented in the consistency
     graph.  If it's not enabled it's not an error, but the consistency
     graphs will be largely meaningless.

--
 Bastien

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-02 16:49   ` Julien Fantin
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTi=3_wpcFVKOu9sVQLCqit4-NQoj4Jx-G=eABuzG@mail.gmail.com>
From: Julien Fantin @ 2010-09-02 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode, Joseph Buchignani

I'm watching this as I wasn't able to enable this module either.

I have state logging enable with :
  (setq org-todo-keywords
        (quote
         ((sequence "TODO(t!)" "NEXT(n!)" "|" "DONE(d!)")
          (sequence "WAIT(w@/!)" "SOMEDAY(s@/!)" "|" "CANCELLED(c@/!)"))))

And org-habit is configured with :
 (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit)

Which doesn't seems to work either...

If I try o (require 'org-habit) though, I'll get an error when
building the agenda with C-c a a :
org-habit-duration-to-days: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
> Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I presume there ought to be some sort of entry in my agenda, or the "k" key
>> should do something. I get nothing. Here is my setup:
>>
>>   * org-mode 7.01h
>>   * emacs file included below.
>>
>> The relevant portion is (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit), which I have
>> enabled in my .emacs, to no avail.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> Are you logging your DONE state?
>
> From the manual:
>
>  6. You must also have state logging for the `DONE' state enabled, in
>     order for historical data to be represented in the consistency
>     graph.  If it's not enabled it's not an error, but the consistency
>     graphs will be largely meaningless.
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-02 17:17     ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-09-02 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: Joseph Buchignani, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Bastien

On Thursday, September 2, 2010, Julien Fantin <julien.fantin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm watching this as I wasn't able to enable this module either.
>
> I have state logging enable with :
>   (setq org-todo-keywords
>         (quote
>          ((sequence "TODO(t!)" "NEXT(n!)" "|" "DONE(d!)")
>           (sequence "WAIT(w@/!)" "SOMEDAY(s@/!)" "|" "CANCELLED(c@/!)"))))
>
> And org-habit is configured with :
>  (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit)
>
> Which doesn't seems to work either...
>
> If I try o (require 'org-habit) though, I'll get an error when
> building the agenda with C-c a a :
> org-habit-duration-to-days: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

If you pull the latest version from git repo, you won't get this
error, instead a meaningful error message will be displayed.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-02 17:26       ` Julien Fantin
From: Julien Fantin @ 2010-09-02 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam; +Cc: Joseph Buchignani, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Bastien

Thanks Noorul, this helped me fix the error, and I now have it working !
I should mention that I do need to (require 'org-habit) after it's
been added to the modules list, in order to actually activate it.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 2, 2010, Julien Fantin <julien.fantin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm watching this as I wasn't able to enable this module either.
>>
>> I have state logging enable with :
>>   (setq org-todo-keywords
>>         (quote
>>          ((sequence "TODO(t!)" "NEXT(n!)" "|" "DONE(d!)")
>>           (sequence "WAIT(w@/!)" "SOMEDAY(s@/!)" "|" "CANCELLED(c@/!)"))))
>>
>> And org-habit is configured with :
>>  (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit)
>>
>> Which doesn't seems to work either...
>>
>> If I try o (require 'org-habit) though, I'll get an error when
>> building the agenda with C-c a a :
>> org-habit-duration-to-days: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>>

> If you pull the latest version from git repo, you won't get this
> error, instead a meaningful error message will be displayed.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Noorul

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-02 18:04         ` Joseph Buchignani
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2010-09-02 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Noorul Islam, Bastien

Julien, it sounds like you're doing something different than what's in the
manual.

Could you paste exactly the code you used in your .emacs to include
org-habit in the modules list and then activate it? I guess it would be two
separate lines?

Thanks,
JB

--

       [not found]     ` <8739trwrtj.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2010-09-03  9:33       ` Joseph Buchignani
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2010-09-03  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Emacs-orgmode

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was looking for habit tracking in
the wrong place. It shows up after the command C-a a a, not C-a a.

All I had to do to enable org mode was put (require 'org-habit) in my
.emacs. I didn't need to add it to the modules list. I didn't need to alter
my properties for the entry.

The only way I know to test whether org-habit is working is to look for a
frequency bar on the schedule of your agenda generated by C-a a a. In order
for this to show up, you have to have a habit that's scheduled for today.
The bar just looks like colored background text on the rest of the line
after the todo item. It will show your history with *'s and !'s. It uses the
colors grey, purple, green, yellow and red.

I will reread the manual and learn more about using the module.

Thanks for the help!
JB

I'm using Org-mode 7.01h with the latest Emacs snapshot in Ubuntu Lucid
10.04.

--

@ 2010-09-03  9:38         ` Joseph Buchignani
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2010-09-03  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Scratch that, there is an easier way to test whether org-habit is activated.
The reason K (uppercase) wasn't working for me was I thought the screen
activated by C-a a beginning "Press key for agenda command" was the "agenda
buffer". It is not. The agenda buffer shows your weekly schedule. Press K
there. You should get a message that habits have been disabled/enabled. If
not, org-habit is not working.

--

@ 2010-09-03 13:01         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-03 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Buchignani; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Glad you sorted this out.

Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani@gmail.com> writes:

> I will reread the manual and learn more about using the module.

If you see any way to improve the manual about org-habit, please
feel free to share thoughts and patches!

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-03 13:09           ` Julien Fantin
From: Julien Fantin @ 2010-09-03 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Buchignani; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Noorul Islam, Bastien

Joseph, it's already all here, but for the sake of clarity :

;; Enable state logging enable for the TODO state i.e. the "!" part
 (setq org-todo-keywords
       (quote
        ((sequence "TODO(t!)" "NEXT(n!)" "|" "DONE(d!)")
         (sequence "WAIT(w@/!)" "SOMEDAY(s@/!)" "|" "CANCELLED(c@/!)"))))

;; Add it to the list of modules
(add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit)

;; And finally require it
(require 'org-habit)

Happy habit monitoring :)
Cheers

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Joseph Buchignani
<joseph.buchignani@gmail.com> wrote:
> Julien, it sounds like you're doing something different than what's in the
> manual.
>
> Could you paste exactly the code you used in your .emacs to include
> org-habit in the modules list and then activate it? I guess it would be two
> separate lines?
>
> Thanks,
> JB
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Julien Fantin <julien.fantin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Noorul, this helped me fix the error, and I now have it working !
>> I should mention that I do need to (require 'org-habit) after it's
>> been added to the modules list, in order to actually activate it.
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Noorul Islam <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:

>> > If you pull the latest version from git repo, you won't get this
>> > error, instead a meaningful error message will be displayed.
>> >
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> > Noorul
>> >

> --
> Ignore the following. It is a nonsense sentence that disables Google ads
> from displaying next to my emails by triggering sensitive keywords.
>
> I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a
> messy bloodbath.

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-03 17:09             ` Joseph Buchignani
From: Joseph Buchignani @ 2010-09-03 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Fantin; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Noorul Islam, Bastien

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 5242 bytes --]

Thanks Julien. Bastien, here is my update to this section of the org-mode
manual. I'm not sure how one goes about submitting an update, hope this will
do.

Thanks,
JB

5.3.3 Tracking your habits

Org has the ability to track the consistency of a special category of TODOs,
called “habits”. In order for habits to work, you must meet the following
requirements:

   1. You have enabled the habits module by customizing the variable
   org-modules. Earlier versions of Org-Mode require two lines added to your
   .emacs: "(add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-habit)" and "(require 'org-habit)".
   Org-mode version 7.01h and later only require the second line, "(require
   'org-habit)".
   2. The habit is a TODO, with a TODO keyword representing an open state.
   3. The property STYLE is set to the value habit.
   4. The TODO has a scheduled date, with a .+ style repeat interval.
   5. The TODO may also have minimum and maximum ranges specified by using
   the syntax ‘.+2d/3d’, which says that you want to do the task at least
   every three days, but at most every two days.
   6. You must also have state logging for the DONE state enabled, in order
   for historical data to be represented in the consistency graph. If it's not
   enabled it's not an error, but the consistency graphs will be largely
   meaningless.

How can you tell that a habit is configured correctly? There are two tests.
First, make sure that org-habit is activated. Within org-mode, type "C-a a
a" to bring up your agenda. Then press uppercase "K". You should see a
message in the minibuffer saying "Habits disabled/enabled". If you don't see
this message, it means org-habit is not loaded. The problem may be that you
haven't restarted, that your .emacs file isn't configured correctly, or that
you have the wrong version of org-mode or a bad installation.

Once you've confirmed that org-habit is loaded, you can test whether your
habit entry is working. Create a habit that looks like the entry below, and
schedule it for the current day. Open your agenda with C-a a a. The habit
should display on your agenda as a TODO item with a colored bar after it.
The colored bar is the frequency graph. If you see this, then you've
configured the habit entry correctly.

To give you an idea of what the above rules look like in action, here's an
actual habit with some history, and how it would look on your agenda:

     ** TODO Shave
        SCHEDULED: <2009-10-17 Sat .+2d/4d>
        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-10-15 Thu]

        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-10-12 Mon]
        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-10-10 Sat]
        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-10-04 Sun]

        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-10-02 Fri]
        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-09-29 Tue]
        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-09-25 Fri]

        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-09-19 Sat]
        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-09-16 Wed]
        - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-09-12 Sat]

        :PROPERTIES:
        :STYLE:    habit
        :LAST_REPEAT: [2009-10-19 Mon 00:36]
        :END:

[image: org-habit-agenda.png]

What this habit says is: I want to shave at most every 2 days (given by the
SCHEDULED date and repeat interval) and at least every 4 days. If today is
the 15th, then the habit first appears in the agenda on Oct 17, after the
minimum of 2 days has elapsed, and will appear overdue on Oct 19, after four
days have elapsed.

What's really useful about habits is that they are displayed along with a
consistency graph, to show how consistent you've been at getting that task
done in the past. This graph shows every day that the task was done over the
past three weeks, with colors for each day. The colors used are:
BlueIf the task wasn't to be done yet on that day.
GreenIf the task could have been done on that day.
YellowIf the task was going to be overdue the next day.
RedIf the task was overdue on that day.

In addition to coloring each day, the day is also marked with an asterisk if
the task was actually done that day, and an exclamation mark to show where
the current day falls in the graph.

There are several configuration variables that can be used to change the way
habits are displayed in the agenda.
org-habit-graph-columnThe buffer column at which the consistency graph
should be drawn. This will overwrite any text in that column, so it's a good
idea to keep your habits' titles brief and to the point.
org-habit-preceding-daysThe amount of history, in days before today, to
appear in consistency graphs.
org-habit-following-daysThe number of days after today that will appear in
consistency graphs.
org-habit-show-habits-only-for-todayIf non-nil, only show habits in today's
agenda view. This is set to true by default.

Lastly, pressing K in the agenda buffer will cause habits to temporarily be
disabled and they won't appear at all. Press K again to bring them back.
They are also subject to tag filtering, if you have habits which should only
be done in certain contexts, for example.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 6450 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: org-habit-agenda.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 33796 bytes --]

* Re: cannot enable org-habit
@ 2010-09-04 19:03               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-04 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Buchignani; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Noorul Islam, Julien Fantin

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Buchignani <joseph.buchignani@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Julien. Bastien, here is my update to this section of the org-mode
> manual. I'm not sure how one goes about submitting an update, hope this will
> do.

Thanks for your update.  Can you submit it as a patch?

Are you using git?

If so, just create a new branch (e.g. git branch org-habit-update),
edit the "Tracking habit" section of the manual, commit your changes,
then prepare a patch to send to the list (using git-format-patch).

If you need further directions, this process is documented here:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-git-advanced.php#sec-2

Thanks in advance, that would help a lot.

--
 Bastien