* Simple Literate Programming Example
@ 2010-05-27 23:43 w t
From: w t @ 2010-05-27 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I put the "Simple Literate Programming Example" from the Org-Babel
Introduction in a file hello.org, namely,

==================hello.org===========================
#+srcname: hello-world-prefix
#+begin_src sh  :exports none
  echo "/-----------------------------------------------------------\\"
#+end_src

#+srcname: hello-world-postfix
#+begin_src sh :exports none
  echo "\-----------------------------------------------------------/"
#+end_src

#+srcname: hello-world
#+begin_src sh :tangle hello :exports none
   # <<hello-world-prefix>>
  echo "|                       hello world                         |"
   # <<hello-world-postfix>>
#+end_src
==================end=hello.org===========================

Then I do "M-x org-babel-tangle", and this generates the file hello:

=================begin=hello============================
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# [[file:~/ORG/hello.org][hello-world]]

 # <<hello-world-prefix>>
echo "|                       hello world                         |"
 # <<hello-world-postfix>>
# hello-world ends here
==================end=hello=============================

which does not seem to jive with the Introduction, which, among other
things, says the <<*>>'s should expand.  I've seen other examples
where the #'s are removed from before the <<*>>'s, but this does not
seem to matter. Any ideas on what  I'm missing?  My .emacs file is

==============begin=.emacs=============================
     (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
     (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
     (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
     (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

(setq load-path (cons "/tmp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))

(setq load-path (cons "/tmp/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-babel-init)
(require 'org-babel-sh)
(org-babel-load-library-of-babel)
=============end=.emacs=================================

and the "/tmp/org-mode/" is a Git directory from today.

* Re: Simple Literate Programming Example
@ 2010-05-27 23:59 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-27 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: w t; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 27, 2010, at 1:43 PM, w t wrote:

> I put the "Simple Literate Programming Example" from the Org-Babel
> Introduction in a file hello.org, namely,
>
> ==================hello.org===========================
> #+srcname: hello-world-prefix
> #+begin_src sh  :exports none
>  echo "/-----------------------------------------------------------\\"
> #+end_src
>
> #+srcname: hello-world-postfix
> #+begin_src sh :exports none
>  echo "\-----------------------------------------------------------/"
> #+end_src
>
> #+srcname: hello-world
> #+begin_src sh :tangle hello :exports none
>   # <<hello-world-prefix>>
>  echo "|                       hello world                         |"
>   # <<hello-world-postfix>>
> #+end_src
> ==================end=hello.org===========================
>
> Then I do "M-x org-babel-tangle", and this generates the file hello:
>
> =================begin=hello============================
> #!/usr/bin/env sh
>
> # [[file:~/ORG/hello.org][hello-world]]
>
> # <<hello-world-prefix>>
> echo "|                       hello world                         |"
> # <<hello-world-postfix>>
> # hello-world ends here
> ==================end=hello=============================
>
> which does not seem to jive with the Introduction, which, among other
> things, says the <<*>>'s should expand.  I've seen other examples
> where the #'s are removed from before the <<*>>'s, but this does not
> seem to matter. Any ideas on what  I'm missing?  My .emacs file is
>
> ==============begin=.emacs=============================
>     (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
>     (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
>     (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
>     (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
>
> (setq load-path (cons "/tmp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
>
> (setq load-path (cons "/tmp/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
> (require 'org-babel-init)
> (require 'org-babel-sh)
> (org-babel-load-library-of-babel)
> =============end=.emacs=================================
>
> and the "/tmp/org-mode/" is a Git directory from today.

Hi w t,

Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe you'll need to add the :noweb yes header argument to code
blocks that include <<>> to be expanded.

I'll update the example on Worg to reflect this newer feature of Org-
babel.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Simple Literate Programming Example
@ 2010-05-28  3:32   ` w t
From: w t @ 2010-05-28  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 5/27/10, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> I believe you'll need to add the :noweb yes header argument to code
> blocks that include <<>> to be expanded.
>
> I'll update the example on Worg to reflect this newer feature of Org-
> babel.
>
> All the best,
> Tom

Thank you, things now work.