* [Bug] Abstract block prematurely ended by asterisk
@ 2010-12-16  7:51 Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-16  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Title says it all. The following code does not export correctly.
(Reproduced from memory can anyone else confirm?)

#+BEGIN_ABSTRACT
*Bold Text.* This is a sentence.
#+END_ABSTRACT

The LaTeX code produced is (in full)

#+BEGIN_SRC latex
\begin{ABSTRACT}
*Bold
#+END_SRC

Note the lack of a closing environment and the truncated content. I
remember pdflatex complaining that "ABSTRACT" is an invalid
environment, but don't recall whether that was related to the asterisk
issue.

Using org-mode 7.4 in emacs 23.2.

Jeff
--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: [Bug] Abstract block prematurely ended by asterisk
@ 2010-12-16  8:13 ` Oscar Carlsson
From: Oscar Carlsson @ 2010-12-16  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> Title says it all. The following code does not export correctly.
> (Reproduced from memory can anyone else confirm?)
>
> #+BEGIN_ABSTRACT
> *Bold Text.* This is a sentence.
> #+END_ABSTRACT
>
> The LaTeX code produced is (in full)
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC latex
> \begin{ABSTRACT}
> *Bold
> #+END_SRC
>
> Note the lack of a closing environment and the truncated content. I
> remember pdflatex complaining that "ABSTRACT" is an invalid
> environment, but don't recall whether that was related to the asterisk
> issue.
>
> Using org-mode 7.4 in emacs 23.2.
>
> Jeff

I'm using 6.33x, but I can partly reproduce it when exporting to LaTeX
(HTML works, tho):

#+BEGIN_SRC latex
\textbf{Bold Text.\} This is a sentence.
#+END_SRC

I guess I should upgrade...

Oscar

* Re: [Bug] Abstract block prematurely ended by asterisk
@ 2011-01-09 11:08 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2011-01-09 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org-mode ml

At Thu, 16 Dec 2010 02:51:32 -0500,
Jeff Horn wrote:

> Title says it all. The following code does not export correctly.
> (Reproduced from memory can anyone else confirm?)
>
> #+BEGIN_ABSTRACT
> *Bold Text.* This is a sentence.
> #+END_ABSTRACT
>
> The LaTeX code produced is (in full)
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC latex
> \begin{ABSTRACT}
> *Bold
> #+END_SRC
>
> Note the lack of a closing environment and the truncated content. I
> remember pdflatex complaining that "ABSTRACT" is an invalid
> environment, but don't recall whether that was related to the asterisk
> issue.
>
> Using org-mode 7.4 in emacs 23.2.

Where is the ABSTRACT block defined?  No such block seems to be known
by Org 7.4 running with emacs -Q.

Maybe there is something wrong with the LaTeX customization, if any?

Best,
 -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: [Bug] Abstract block prematurely ended by asterisk
@ 2011-01-09 12:19   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-01-09 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Jeff Horn, Org-mode ml

On 1/9/11 12:08 PM, David Maus wrote:
> At Thu, 16 Dec 2010 02:51:32 -0500,
> Jeff Horn wrote:
>>
>> Title says it all. The following code does not export correctly.
>> (Reproduced from memory can anyone else confirm?)
>>
>> #+BEGIN_ABSTRACT
>> *Bold Text.* This is a sentence.
>> #+END_ABSTRACT
>>
>> The LaTeX code produced is (in full)
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>> \begin{ABSTRACT}
>> *Bold
>> #+END_SRC

I cannot confirm this. I get the expected output:

\begin{ABSTRACT}
\textbf{Bold Text.} This is a sentence.
\end{ABSTRACT}

>> Note the lack of a closing environment and the truncated content. I
>> remember pdflatex complaining that "ABSTRACT" is an invalid
>> environment, but don't recall whether that was related to the asterisk
>> issue.

Try it lower case:
#+begin_abstract

Org isn't sensitive about case in special block types, but LaTeX is.

>> Using org-mode 7.4 in emacs 23.2.
>
> Where is the ABSTRACT block defined?  No such block seems to be known
> by Org 7.4 running with emacs -Q.

Arbitrary block types are provided by org-special-blocks, a contrib
(slated for inclusion into the next core Org, if I remember Bastien's
announcement correctly).

HTH,
Christian

* Re: [Bug] Abstract block prematurely ended by asterisk
@ 2011-01-09 14:57     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: David Maus, Org-mode ml

I can no longer reproduce this on my own system. Thanks for the follow
up, everyone. I don't know what change fixed the issue between then
and now, but I haven't worked on that project since I sent my original
post.

Thanks, again!

--
Jeffrey Horn