* properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-18  3:28 Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2010-08-18  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Why is CATEGORY the only property that can be included in
org-agenda-prefix-format?

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-18  6:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-18  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 18, 2010, at 5:28 AM, Skip Collins wrote:

> Why is CATEGORY the only property that can be included in org-agenda-
> prefix-format?

Because this is the exact purpose of the CATEGORY property.

- Carsten

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-18  9:39 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-18  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> writes:

> Why is CATEGORY the only property that can be included in
> org-agenda-prefix-format?

What property would you find useful to have and why?

--
 Bastien

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-18 12:03   ` Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2010-08-18 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> What property would you find useful to have and why?

CUSTOM_ID could be handy right away. If arbitrary properties were
accessible in agenda prefix, it would enable very flexible agenda
constructs. Consider a setup in which headlines are given a tracking
number that can be used as a reference number outside of org. The
reference number would naturally be a property, not a tag. To get a
nice list that includes the reference number, it must be assigned to
CATEGORY.

Consider also a group agenda in which items are flagged in the prefix
with the names of their owners. Again, the names must now be assigned
to CATEGORY.

As a design goal, I think would it make sense for agenda and column
modes to have some overlapping features and syntax, including the
ability to access properties.

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-18 14:43     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> writes:

>> What property would you find useful to have and why?
>
> CUSTOM_ID could be handy right away. If arbitrary properties were
> accessible in agenda prefix, it would enable very flexible agenda
> constructs. Consider a setup in which headlines are given a tracking
> number that can be used as a reference number outside of org. The
> reference number would naturally be a property, not a tag. To get a
> nice list that includes the reference number, it must be assigned to
> CATEGORY.
>
> Consider also a group agenda in which items are flagged in the prefix
> with the names of their owners. Again, the names must now be assigned
> to CATEGORY.

Yes, I agree `org-agenda-prefix-format' could use a more general syntax,
e.g. allow user-defined properties.

> As a design goal, I think would it make sense for agenda and column
> modes to have some overlapping features and syntax, including the
> ability to access properties.

I grasp the general idea but a more concrete use-case would help here
again...  thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-18 22:45       ` Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2010-08-18 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
> I grasp the general idea but a more concrete use-case would help here
> again...  thanks!

Perhaps I am trying to use agenda in a way that was never intended, to
export printable lists in tabular form. Using agenda mode, I can
generate an html list that has one line per item, albeit with limited
formatting and without property information. This does not work easily
with column mode, which is not printable, or org-mode export, which is
not tabular.

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-18 23:15         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-08-18 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Skip Collins <skip.collins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
> > I grasp the general idea but a more concrete use-case would help here
> > again...  thanks!
>
> Perhaps I am trying to use agenda in a way that was never intended, to
> export printable lists in tabular form. Using agenda mode, I can
> generate an html list that has one line per item, albeit with limited
> formatting and without property information. This does not work easily
> with column mode, which is not printable, or org-mode export, which is
> not tabular.

Does org-write-agenda (C-x C-w in the agenda buffer) do what you want?

Nick

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-19  6:46         ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-08-19  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Collins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Bastien

On 08/19/2010 12:45 AM, Skip Collins wrote:
> This does not work easily
> with column mode, which is not printable, or org-mode export, which is
> not tabular.

Look at "7.5.3 Capturing column view" in the manual, it provides a
solution to the "column view is not printable" problem.

If you do not need the agenda's sophisticated filtering abilities, this
may already work for you.

HTH, Jan

* Re: properties in agenda prefix
@ 2010-08-24 18:32           ` Skip Collins
From: Skip Collins @ 2010-08-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> wrote:
> Look at "7.5.3 Capturing column view" in the manual, it provides a
> solution to the "column view is not printable" problem.

I can use column mode in the agenda, which is very useful because it
can display properties. I know I can capture columns in a dynamic
block within my org file. But is it possible to similarly capture
columns for a filtered agenda? If so, I don't know how. This would
solve my problem.

> If you do not need the agenda's sophisticated filtering abilities, this
> may already work for you.

I would prefer an agenda mode that allowed both filtering on
properties and display of those properties, just as tags work. If I
have a list that has a color property, I can make an agenda that only
displays red and green items. But nowhere in the list (apart from
column mode) can I display which items are red and which are green.