* orgmode as a reference system: Storing private/sensitive information and syncing across devices.
@ 2010-09-20 21:25 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-20 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

What I like about orgmode is that you know where the information is
going. Can't beat plain text files in terms of simplicity.

That being said, I store all my sensitive information in a huge
reference.org file that is added to the agenda. I sync this (among
other org files) to MobileOrg through a HTTPS-secured WebDav server.

I know I'm pretty secure with that configuration, and that it is
unlikely that someone will ever break into my credentials and other
private information, unless somone has physical access to my iPod, for
example. I also know that there are meny cloud services nowadays that
do just that: Manage your sensitive information, and that's pretty
much very secure.

Well, I'd love to know what you think about it (storing / syncing
private information across different devices, SSL-secure, of course)
--  I know some will be more "neurotic" than others, and often enough
reason -- how you store your private/sensitive information and any
insights that you'd like to share are welcome ;)

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: orgmode as a reference system: Storing private/sensitive information and syncing across devices.
@ 2010-09-20 22:13 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> What I like about orgmode is that you know where the information is
> going. Can't beat plain text files in terms of simplicity.
>
> That being said, I store all my sensitive information in a huge
> reference.org file that is added to the agenda. I sync this (among
> other org files) to MobileOrg through a HTTPS-secured WebDav server.
>
> I know I'm pretty secure with that configuration, and that it is
> unlikely that someone will ever break into my credentials and other
> private information, unless somone has physical access to my iPod, for
> example. I also know that there are meny cloud services nowadays that
> do just that: Manage your sensitive information, and that's pretty
> much very secure.
>
> Well, I'd love to know what you think about it (storing / syncing
> private information across different devices, SSL-secure, of course)
> --  I know some will be more "neurotic" than others, and often enough
> reason -- how you store your private/sensitive information and any
> insights that you'd like to share are welcome ;)

What about encrypting your really private headlines with org-crypt?  Too much
to encrypt?  Too much work?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: orgmode as a reference system: Storing private/sensitive information and syncing across devices.
@ 2010-09-20 22:33   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-20 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmm, never heard about it :)

But I assume that -- at least in terms of network security -- having
the WebDav server below a HTTPS layer is enough. This would at least
put a layer of security for when I'm syncing between devices (in this
case OSX<->WebDav<->MobileOrg). I know, however, there might be other
holes or someone might even me able to just sit in front of my
computer and fiddle through the org text files, so that might be a
good use-case for org-crypt.

Marcelo.

@ 2010-09-20 23:15     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-20 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
> Hmm, never heard about it :)
>
> But I assume that -- at least in terms of network security -- having
> the WebDav server below a HTTPS layer is enough. This would at least
> put a layer of security for when I'm syncing between devices (in this
> case OSX<->WebDav<->MobileOrg). I know, however, there might be other
> holes or someone might even me able to just sit in front of my
> computer and fiddle through the org text files, so that might be a
> good use-case for org-crypt.

Hi Marcelo,

unencrypted data is _not_ secure.

Encrypt your data and you'll have a chance to lock your bank account
card just in time, once your iPod gets lost (or stolen).

(Is it necessary to carry sensitive data around on your iPod??? Can't
believe it...)

As you might have guessed, I'm one of those "more neurotic" persons.
And more and more people join us --- to late in many cases.  Encryption
is cheep.  Unencrypted data can be expensive.

   Sebastian

* Re: Re: orgmode as a reference system: Storing private/sensitive information and syncing across devices.
@ 2010-09-20 23:41       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-20 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

Well, org adds it because reference.org is part of agenda-file array.
Not sure how I can exclude it from org-mobile even if it is added to
the agenda view, any hints?

As for encryption. I will do as you suggested.

I wonder what you guys think about other note-taking software, such as
Evernote, that operate in the cloud. I know many people that keep
their sensitive data on Evernote and sync with different computers and
devices.

Marcelo.

@ 2010-09-21  8:45         ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-09-21  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:41:19 -0500
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder what you guys think about other note-taking software, such as
> Evernote, that operate in the cloud. I know many people that keep
> their sensitive data on Evernote and sync with different computers and
> devices.

Those who store _really_ sensitive data unencrypted in the cloud are
too lazy to think about it for a moment. Or just plain crazy. Or so
bored they are eagerly awaiting some trouble.

my 2 cents.

Detlef

@ 2010-09-21 17:17           ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Those who store _really_ sensitive data unencrypted in the cloud are
> too lazy to think about it for a moment. Or just plain crazy. Or so
> bored they are eagerly awaiting some trouble.

Yeah, you are right. Even if the transport protocol is encrypted,
storing in plaintext doesn't sound like a good idea. Maybe we could
have a series of tutorials or guidelines written on how to use org "on
the cloud" securely, since I see many people are using it as their
main personal-information-manager and also are using mobile-org to
sync stuff across devices.

Marcelo.

@ 2010-09-24  3:55             ` Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-09-24  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Check out: http://ccrypt.sourceforge.net/

There is an emacs package provided, ps-ccrypt.el,  which provides seamless
file for several months with no problems.

Paul

}

@ 2010-09-24  9:51               ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-24  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> writes:
> Check out: http://ccrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> There is an emacs package provided, ps-ccrypt.el,  which provides seamless
> file for several months with no problems.
>
> Paul

Emacs comes with everything you need. See the epa package in Emacs for
seamless encryption.

M-x customize-group RET epa RET

  Sebastian

* Re: orgmode as a reference system: Storing private/sensitive information and syncing across devices.
@ 2010-09-25  0:18 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-09-25  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

  That being said, I store all my sensitive information in a huge
  reference.org file that is added to the agenda. I sync this (among
  other org files) to MobileOrg through a HTTPS-secured WebDav server.

I do this, but I use my own server, not dropbox.

It would be nice if there were some interoperable crypto between
MobileOrg and org, so that the server files were encrypted.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: orgmode as a reference system: Storing private/sensitive information and syncing across devices.
@ 2010-09-25 13:34   ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-25 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Greg,

Carsten has already added support on his end for encrypting and decrypting the files that go into the MobileOrg staging area.

I've just started to pick this back up, so I plan to have it included in the next update of MobileOrg.

Thanks,
Richard

@ 2010-09-27 18:22     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-09-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)