* Hyperlink to a string in an external text file
@ 2011-01-17 22:12 Steve Hafner
From: Steve Hafner @ 2011-01-17 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

According to the Org manual a link to an external org file can have
the form "file:projects.org::some words" to allow a hyper jump to the
first occurrence of "some words" within another org file. But why
restrict this to org files? It seems this should work with any text
file; and when I try the same thing with a LaTeX file, for example,
"file:file.tex::\label{theorem-B}" where "file.tex" contains
"\label{theorem-B}", it seems to work in the same way as for an
external org file. Is this a feature I can rely on for any arbitrary
text file?

-steve

* Re: Hyperlink to a string in an external text file
@ 2011-01-17 22:35 ` Steve Hafner
From: Steve Hafner @ 2011-01-17 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ok, I see that "4.7 Search options in file links" generalizes the info
in "4.3 External links" and includes my case, sorry for the noise.

* Re: Hyperlink to a string in an external text file
@ 2011-01-17 22:36 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-01-17 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Hafner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

A good way to determin this is using capture from the file you want
and look at the link it creates.

I support WPI: http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/index.html -- PLEASE DONATE
===
I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MLV paper.

* Re: Hyperlink to a string in an external text file
@ 2011-01-17 23:11   ` Steve Hafner
From: Steve Hafner @ 2011-01-17 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> A good way to determin this is using capture from the file you want
> and look at the link it creates.
>
> --
> The Kafka Pandemic: http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com
> I support WPI: http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/index.html -- PLEASE DONATE
> ===
> I want to see the original (pre-hold) Lo et al. 2010 NIH/FDA/Harvard MLV paper.

I assume you are referring to org-store-link, and yes this is helpful.