* Looking for help linking to an org document on mac os x
@ 2011-01-12 15:05 Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2011-01-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi everyone,

I'd like to be able to link to an org document from other
applications, and especially to a particular line or search term in a
document. The idea is that I could, for example, put a link into an
iCal entry, and when I click it, emacs would show the file and move
the point to the correct location.

Basically, I'm trying to make something like a URL, but for org, that
the OS would dispatch correctly. Something like org://path/to/some/
file:*search-term.

I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't figure out an easy way to
do this. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

   -Anthony

* Re: Looking for help linking to an org document on mac os x
@ 2011-01-12 15:49 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Anthony Lander
<anthonylander@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to be able to link to an org document from other applications, and
> especially to a particular line or search term in a document. The idea is
> that I could, for example, put a link into an iCal entry, and when I click
> it, emacs would show the file and move the point to the correct location.
>
> Basically, I'm trying to make something like a URL, but for org, that the OS
> would dispatch correctly. Something like
> org://path/to/some/file:*search-term.
>
> I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't figure out an easy way to do
> this. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Hi, Anthony. Try this:

1) Right click on an org file in Finder.
2) Select "Get Info"
3) Change the default "Open with" application to Aquamacs (or Cocoa
Emacs, whatever you use)
4) Click the "Change All" button. Confirm.
5) When you want to add a link, use the following syntax.

    file://localhost/path/to/some/file.org

HTH,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Looking for help linking to an org document on mac os x
@ 2011-01-12 17:07   ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2011-01-12 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On 11-Jan-12, at 10:49 AM, Jeff Horn wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Anthony Lander
> <anthonylander@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to be able to link to an org document from other
>> applications, and
>> especially to a particular line or search term in a document. The
>> idea is
>> that I could, for example, put a link into an iCal entry, and when
>> I click
>> it, emacs would show the file and move the point to the correct
>> location.
>>
>> Basically, I'm trying to make something like a URL, but for org,
>> that the OS
>> would dispatch correctly. Something like
>> org://path/to/some/file:*search-term.
>>
>> I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't figure out an easy way
>> to do
>> this. Does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Hi, Anthony. Try this:
>
> 1) Right click on an org file in Finder.
> 2) Select "Get Info"
> 3) Change the default "Open with" application to Aquamacs (or Cocoa
> Emacs, whatever you use)
> 4) Click the "Change All" button. Confirm.
> 5) When you want to add a link, use the following syntax.
>
>    file://localhost/path/to/some/file.org

Thanks Jeff. That works really well! Any suggestions on how to
incorporate a bit of logic (probably in emacs) to do an org headline
search? I'm guessing it means making a new file type, and then doing
some processing on the passed in url.

   -Anthony

@ 2011-01-12 18:53     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Anthony Lander
<anthonylander@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff. That works really well! Any suggestions on how to incorporate a
> bit of logic (probably in emacs) to do an org headline search? I'm guessing
> it means making a new file type, and then doing some processing on the
> passed in url.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You mean having a CGI-like
url, with some search escape in it, that takes you directly to a
headline when you click on a file url?

C-s is so quick, it's how I navigate really large files. I think there
are built-in org functions for jumping around headlines (see
speedkeys), and I also make heavy use of org-cycle (the tab key) to
navigate outlines. This makes the extra work you mention seem like
over-engineering, but maybe I've misunderstood what you meant.

Maybe someone else will have something more constructive to say?

Best wishes,
Jeff