* org-freemind.el and rx
@ 2010-10-14 10:57 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-14 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Lennart,

I am trying to keep org-mode also workable with XEmacs.  One problem
here is that XEmacs does not have rx.  Would you object if I replace
the rx macro calls with the string representations of the regular
expressions in org-freemind.el?

Michael, an alternative would be to get rx ported to and included into
XEmacs.  Is anything like this in the works, or would you like to look
into this?

Cheers

- Carsten

* Re: org-freemind.el and rx
@ 2010-10-14 11:31 ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-10-14 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi Lennart,
>
> I am trying to keep org-mode also workable with XEmacs.  One problem
> here is that XEmacs does not have rx.  Would you object if I replace
> the rx macro calls with the string representations of the regular
> expressions in org-freemind.el?
>
> Michael, an alternative would be to get rx ported to and included into
> XEmacs.  Is anything like this in the works, or would you like to look
> into this?

I think the solution is to do rx (I sure hate textual regexps) - which
is on my list, but will likely be a while.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: org-freemind.el and rx
@ 2010-10-14 13:00   ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2010-10-14 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I think the solution is to do rx (I sure hate textual regexps) - which
> is on my list, but will likely be a while.

Here is an initial attempt at porting rx to xemacs:
http://www.broadinstitute.org/~ilya/rx.el

Not fully tested so please test it.

ilya

* Re: org-freemind.el and rx
@ 2010-10-14 13:08   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2010-10-14 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Sperber <sperber@deinprogramm.de> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Lennart,
>>
>> I am trying to keep org-mode also workable with XEmacs.  One problem
>> here is that XEmacs does not have rx.  Would you object if I replace
>> the rx macro calls with the string representations of the regular
>> expressions in org-freemind.el?
>>
>> Michael, an alternative would be to get rx ported to and included into
>> XEmacs.  Is anything like this in the works, or would you like to look
>> into this?
>
> I think the solution is to do rx (I sure hate textual regexps) - which
> is on my list, but will likely be a while.

I took a quick look, and it's failing byte-compilation because in
rx-any-condense-range:

(defun rx-any-condense-range (args)
  "Condense by side effect ARGS as range for Rx `any'."
  (let (str
	l)
    ;; set STR list of all strings
    ;; set L list of all ranges
    (mapc (lambda (e) (cond ((stringp e) (push e str))
			    ((numberp e) (push (cons e e) l))
			    (t (push e l))))
	  args)
    ;; condense overlapped ranges in L
    (let ((tail (setq l (sort l #'car-less-than-car)))
	  d)

'car-less-than-car is signalling
  apply(debug error (wrong-type-argument listp ?\[))

l is (?\" ?\[) at this point, and I don't think you can call #'car on
either of those 2 elements. Either this code meant to use #'<, or the (t
(push e l)) is wrong, or we've discovered another difference between GNU
Emacs and XEmacs :)

Regards

Robert

* Re: org-freemind.el and rx
@ 2010-10-14 13:16     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-10-14 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 , Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

   >> I think the solution is to do rx (I sure hate textual regexps) - which
   >> is on my list, but will likely be a while.

   > Here is an initial attempt at porting rx to xemacs:
   > http://www.broadinstitute.org/~ilya/rx.el

Thanks for the port!!!
   > Not fully tested so please test it.

I tested it under Xemacs 21.4,

    -  good news it compiles fine, since delete-dups is now
       defined.

    -  bad news org-freemind does not compile when
    (require 'rx) is used, error message is attached.

Looks serious maybe Mike can say something.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: free-bug --]

* Re: org-freemind.el and rx
@ 2010-10-14 15:03 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-10-14 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> I am trying to keep org-mode also workable with XEmacs.  One problem here is
> that XEmacs does not have rx.  Would you object if I replace the rx macro
> calls with the string representations of the regular expressions in
> org-freemind.el?

If you do, please keep the rx code as comments so we can get back to it later.

> Michael, an alternative would be to get rx ported to and included into
> XEmacs.  Is anything like this in the works, or would you like to look into
> this?
>

> Cheers
>
> - Carsten

* Re: org-freemind.el and rx
@ 2010-10-15  6:52       ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2010-10-15  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>     -  bad news org-freemind does not compile when
>     (require 'rx) is used, error message is attached.

I've made some more changes to rx.el for xemacs compatibility.
Please try the new version: http://broadinstitute.org/~ilya/rx.el .

Also, org-freemind.el uses delete-trailing-whitespace, which is present
in Emacs but not in xemacs -- needs to be brought over.

ilya