* How to export the ampersand (&) symbol correctly for both LaTeX and HTML documents?
@ 2010-12-23 16:02 Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim
From: Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim @ 2010-12-23 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

This may be a FAQ, but I couldn't find it mentioned either in the Manual or
in the mailing list.

To use the ampersand symbol ('&') in HTML export, I use "\amp" per the
manual and the "Publishing Org-mode files to HTML" tutorial at Worg site.
Later, however, I found that the "\amp" is exported to "$\amp$" in LaTeX,
which causes a compile error (i.e., "undefined control sequence"); it should
be "\&" in a normal TeX/LaTeX document.

I'm currently using 6.33x version of Org-mode with GNU Emacs 23.2.1 on
Windows 7.

Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
K. S. (Joseph)

* Re: How to export the ampersand (&) symbol correctly for both LaTeX and HTML documents?
@ 2010-12-23 17:35 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim" <kyeongsoo.kim@gmail.com> writes:

> This may be a FAQ, but I couldn't find it mentioned either in the Manual or in the mailing list.
>
> To use the ampersand symbol ('&') in HTML export, I use "\amp" per the manual and the "Publishing
> Org-mode files to HTML" tutorial at Worg site. Later, however, I found that the "\amp" is exported
> to "$\amp$" in LaTeX, which causes a compile error (i.e., "undefined control sequence"); it should
> be "\&" in a normal TeX/LaTeX document.
>
> I'm currently using 6.33x version of Org-mode with GNU Emacs 23.2.1 on Windows 7.
>
> Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Guidance: Upgrade your version of org-mode.

Exporting the following subtree to HTML works for me

,----[ test.org ]
`----

,----[ test.html ]
| <h1 class="title">Export test for ampersand</h1>

| This &amp; that.
`----

My version of org-mode is Org-mode version 7.4
(release_7.4.89.g4ed00.dirty)

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: How to export the ampersand (&) symbol correctly for both LaTeX and HTML documents?
@ 2010-12-23 21:39   ` Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim
From: Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim @ 2010-12-23 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I will try to upgrade and test it soon.
Many thank.

By the way, I wonder whether you have tested it with LaTeX export or not.
The HTML export works perfectly in my case, too, but LaTeX export does not
as said.

Regards,
Joseph

@ 2010-12-24  3:21     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-24  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim" <kyeongsoo.kim@gmail.com> writes:

> I will try to upgrade and test it soon.
> Many thank.
>
> By the way, I wonder whether you have tested it with LaTeX export or not.
> The HTML export works perfectly in my case, too, but LaTeX export does not as said.

Sorry I misread your original posting.  I get the following in Latex for
the same input source

\title{Export test for ampersand}
\author{Bernt Hansen}
\date{23 December 2010}
\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\vspace*{1cm}
This \& that is cool.
This \& that.

@ 2010-12-24  3:23     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-24  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim" <kyeongsoo.kim@gmail.com> writes:

> I will try to upgrade and test it soon.
> Many thank.
>
> By the way, I wonder whether you have tested it with LaTeX export or not.
> The HTML export works perfectly in my case, too, but LaTeX export does not as said.

Sorry I misread your original post.

I get the following for latex export using the same test.org

,----
| \title{Export test for ampersand}
| \author{Bernt Hansen}
| \date{23 December 2010}