* exporting as latex sections
@ 2010-12-04  2:26 suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-04  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi org-mode users,

I have been collaborating on a big (many contributors) paper. For all
my various contributions to the paper I need to provide the latex
source as a section of a latex document. Is there some way I can
export to latex without all the preamble and header information from
the org-mode file? Or just exporting to latex and manually removing
all that is the only way to do it?

While we are at it if I were to attempt to write my own version of
latex export function which does this instead, where should I be
looking? I'm not very good at lisp, so some suggestions would be
really helpful if I need to take this route.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

--
Suvayu

* Re: exporting as latex sections
@ 2010-12-05  1:51 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-12-05  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha Suvayu,

On Dec 3, 2010, at 4:26 PM, suvayu ali wrote:

> Hi org-mode users,
>
> I have been collaborating on a big (many contributors) paper. For all
> my various contributions to the paper I need to provide the latex
> source as a section of a latex document. Is there some way I can
> export to latex without all the preamble and header information from
> the org-mode file? Or just exporting to latex and manually removing
> all that is the only way to do it?
>
> While we are at it if I were to attempt to write my own version of
> latex export function which does this instead, where should I be
> looking? I'm not very good at lisp, so some suggestions would be
> really helpful if I need to take this route.
>
> Thanks for any help/suggestions.
>
> --
> Suvayu

I don't know any way to do this with the Org-mode LaTeX exporter
(though there may be some way I don't know yet).

This might not be an option you want to follow, or something you have
already thought about, but you could achieve your result using LaTeX
source code blocks and then tangle, rather than export, your
contribution.  This has the advantage that it is relatively simple to
tangle different chunks, in case you are contributing to different
parts of the paper.

#+source: chunk1
#+begin_src latex :tangle chunk1.tex
   This is chunk 1.
#+end_src

#+source: chunk2
#+begin_src latex :tangle chunk2.tex
   This is chunk 2.
#+end_src

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: exporting as latex sections
@ 2010-12-05  3:38   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-05  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Aloha Suvayu,
>
> On Dec 3, 2010, at 4:26 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>
>> Hi org-mode users,
>>
>> I have been collaborating on a big (many contributors) paper. For all
>> my various contributions to the paper I need to provide the latex
>> source as a section of a latex document. Is there some way I can
>> export to latex without all the preamble and header information from
>> the org-mode file? Or just exporting to latex and manually removing
>> all that is the only way to do it?
>>
>> While we are at it if I were to attempt to write my own version of
>> latex export function which does this instead, where should I be
>> looking? I'm not very good at lisp, so some suggestions would be
>> really helpful if I need to take this route.
>>
>> Thanks for any help/suggestions.
>>
>> -- Suvayu
>
> I don't know any way to do this with the Org-mode LaTeX exporter (though
> there may be some way I don't know yet).
>
> This might not be an option you want to follow, or something you have
> already thought about, but you could achieve your result using LaTeX source
> code blocks and then tangle, rather than export, your contribution.  This
> has the advantage that it is relatively simple to tangle different chunks,
> in case you are contributing to different parts of the paper.
>
> #+source: chunk1
> #+begin_src latex :tangle chunk1.tex
>  This is chunk 1.
> #+end_src
>
> #+source: chunk2
> #+begin_src latex :tangle chunk2.tex
>  This is chunk 2.
> #+end_src

I hadn't thought of org-babel! Thanks a lot, this makes much more sense. :)

--
Suvayu