* [BABEL] help adding a language, please?
@ 2010-07-22 20:13 scrawler
From: scrawler @ 2010-07-22 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi guys,

Org-mode newbie, here.  I'd like to add newlisp to the list
of languages that babel supports.  I got ob-template.el and
replaced all  occurrences of "template" with "newlisp."

When I try to execute a code block, it fails, looking for
"inf-newlisp."  That's "inferior-mode," right?  Can I work
around that somehow?  There is a newlisp mode available
here:
http://github.com/may/newlisp-mode
I'm running Org-mode 7.01.

Org-mode is great!  I sure hope you guys are tolerant of
stupid questions, because I've got a bunch of them.
:-)

--
signature riding a horse: "clopclopclopclop"
-tom

* Re: [BABEL] help adding a language, please?
@ 2010-07-22 22:30 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-22 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scrawler; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi,

scrawler@gmail.com writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> Org-mode newbie, here.  I'd like to add newlisp to the list
> of languages that babel supports.

That's fantastic.

> I got ob-template.el and replaced all occurrences of "template" with
> "newlisp."
>
> When I try to execute a code block, it fails, looking for
> "inf-newlisp."  That's "inferior-mode," right?  Can I work
> around that somehow?  There is a newlisp mode available
> here:
> http://github.com/may/newlisp-mode
> I'm running Org-mode 7.01.

This depends if you'd rather execute newlisp code blocks in a "session"
(i.e. in an inferior newlisp buffer, which would require newlisp-mode),
or if you'd rather evaluate newlisp externally.  Most languages support
both types of evaluation, but I'd recommend starting with a single
execution mode (whichever will be simpler to implement), and then
incrementally adding functionality.

I just installed newlisp locally, it looks like a nice language, I may
start using this as I've been looking for a light-weight lisp/scheme for
small scripting tasks.

I just put together the following, which works for me as a simple
evaluation function -- note this takes the "external evaluation" path.

(defun org-babel-execute:newlisp (body params)
  (let ((tmp-file (make-temp-file "org-babel-newlisp")))
    (with-temp-file tmp-file
      (insert
       (format "(println (begin\n%s\n))\n(exit)" body)))
    (prog1 (org-babel-eval (format "newlisp -f %s" tmp-file) "")
      (delete-file tmp-file))))

Note, this doesn't make use of *any* of Babels header argument
functionality, but it could serve as a place to start.

> Org-mode is great!  I sure hope you guys are tolerant of
> stupid questions, because I've got a bunch of them.
> :-)

Please don't be shy about asking questions, we can be a very
understanding bunch.

Happy Hacking -- Eric

* Re: [BABEL] help adding a language, please?
@ 2010-07-22 23:20 ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2010-07-22 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scrawler; +Cc: Org Mode

Is there an instruction manual documenting how the new org-babel
language extensions should work? This would really be helpful, because
I had trouble figuring out how to make sessions work in the pre-7.0
api (i'm adding Common Lisp support.) Documenting for how a language
extension is supposed to behave, would be great.

@ 2010-07-23 16:01   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: scrawler, Org Mode

Hi David,

The instructions currently live at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.php#develop

The bulk of the information is contained in the documentation strings
and the comments of the ob-template.el file (linked to from the above).

It should be fairly complete, but please let me know if you see any
avenues of improvement.

-- Eric

@ 2010-07-23 16:04     ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2010-07-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: scrawler, Org Mode

Ah, this is great! Thanks Eric :) and I will keep everyone updated on
my progress with the wacky "hypermedia programming" thing i've been
working on. Really what it boils down to is Common Lisp support for
babel, and an add-on module that brings attachments and other data
into the mix.

It's a combination paper/tutorial/elisp library bundled into one file.

The rough draft in progress is here, if anyone is interested in peeking:

http://github.com/dto/hypo/raw/master/hypo.org