* org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-08-27  8:06 Sergey Konoplev
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sergey Konoplev @ 2010-08-27  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Are there ways to use Pomodoro technique
(http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/) with org-mode? If there are what
are the best practices?

Thank you in advice.

--
Sergey Konoplev

Blog: http://gray-hemp.blogspot.com /
Linkedin: http://ru.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp /
JID/GTalk: gray.ru@gmail.com / Skype: gray-hemp / ICQ: 29353802

* Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-08-27 17:15 ` A. Ryan Reynolds
From: A. Ryan Reynolds @ 2010-08-27 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Konoplev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I do this using Org-Mode and a kitchen timer. I clock in when I wind
the timer, and clock out when it dings, instead of just marking with
X's. To record distractions I keep a scratch buffer in org-mode open,
although there may be a better way to capture distractions on the
urgent and unplanned list using remember mode to file them away into a
more organized system. I just haven't had time to read about it. I
like the fact that the urgent & unplanned items don't go anywhere
unless I decide to file them though, because it keeps my to-do list
cleaner that way. During my most distracted periods I tend to capture
a lot of stray to-do items of only marginal utility.

I'm not sure my personal workflow will work exactly right for anyone
but myself (and it's still a work in progress for me too!), but I'm
happy to answer any other questions you might have about it.
--
A. Ryan Reynolds

* Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-08-30  7:31   ` Sergey Konoplev
From: Sergey Konoplev @ 2010-08-30  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A. Ryan Reynolds; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you. I will try it with http://tomatoi.st timer.

--

@ 2010-08-31  9:40 ` Frederic Couchet
From: Frederic Couchet @ 2010-08-31  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    Sergey> Hi all, Are there ways to use Pomodoro technique
    Sergey> (http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/) with org-mode? If there
    Sergey> are what are the best practices?

    Sergey> Thank you in advice.

Hello,

I always start a clock when I work on a task. And for the Pomodoro
technique I use also the org-timer module with some configuration.

Activate the org-timer module :

(add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-timer)

Set a default value for the timer, for example :

(setq org-timer-default-timer 25)

Modify the org-clock-in so that a timer is started with the default
value except if a timer is already started :

(add-hook 'org-clock-in-hook '(lambda ()
      (if (not org-timer-current-timer)
      (org-timer-set-timer '(16)))))

Fred.

* Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-09-02 16:00   ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-09-02 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Frederic Couchet <fcouchet@april.org> writes:

>     Sergey> Hi all, Are there ways to use Pomodoro technique
>     Sergey> (http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/) with org-mode? If there
>     Sergey> are what are the best practices?
>
>     Sergey> Thank you in advice.
>
> I always start a clock when I work on a task. And for the Pomodoro
> technique I use also the org-timer module with some configuration.
[...]

Is there a way to get a countdown timer visible like the one you start
with `C-c C-x .'?

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-09-02 20:30   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-02 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederic Couchet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Frederic Couchet <fcouchet@april.org> writes:

> I always start a clock when I work on a task. And for the Pomodoro
> technique I use also the org-timer module with some configuration.

I created a section about using Org with Pomodoro on Worg:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-gtd-etc.php

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-09-02 21:41     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-02 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> Is there a way to get a countdown timer visible like the one you start
> with `C-c C-x .'?

`org-timer-set-timer' now displays a timer in the modeline.

Also thanks to Frédéric Couchet who asked me to have this feature for
aaaages.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-09-03  6:28       ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-09-03  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to get a countdown timer visible like the one you start
>> with `C-c C-x .'?
>
> `org-timer-set-timer' now displays a timer in the modeline.

Thanks a lot.

> Also thanks to Frédéric Couchet who asked me to have this feature for
> aaaages.

I think I've seen his post ;-)

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2010-09-03 11:54       ` Frederic Couchet
From: Frederic Couchet @ 2010-09-03 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    Bastien> Also thanks to Frédéric Couchet who asked me to have this
    Bastien> feature for aaaages.

Thank you for this patch. Having the countdown in the modeline is very
useful.

Fred.

* Re: org-mode + pomodoro
@ 2014-05-30  8:07 ` Arthur Leonard Andersen
From: Arthur Leonard Andersen @ 2014-05-30  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Are there ways to use Pomodoro technique
> (http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/) with org-mode? If there are what
> are the best practices?
>
> Thank you in advice.

There is the org-pomodoro package.
https://github.com/lolownia/org-pomodoro

It provides `org-pomodoro` function, which starts a countdown.
In the end it starts a short or long break timer accordingly.
You also get clock ticking and pomodoro finishing sounds.