* hiding PROPERTIES line
@ 2010-08-03 16:11 Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2010-08-03 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to hide/show the :PROPERTIES: line representing the
properties locker,
either globally or for a subtree?  I'd like to store some properties
for every entry (e.g. its creation time),
but then the :PROPERTIES: lines add too much clutter, even in the
drawer-collapsed state.
Is there a way to hide/show them just like the closed outline subtrees
are hidden/shown?
thanks,
ilya

* Re: hiding PROPERTIES line
@ 2010-08-04  4:47 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-04  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Is there a way to hide/show the :PROPERTIES: line representing the
> properties locker, either globally or for a subtree?

Nope.

Well, every UI element you hide must be partly visible, so that the user
knows how to unhide (or unfold) it.  I cannot think of a reasonable way
to 100% hide the :PROPERTIES: drawer while giving the user a hint that
there is one...

--
 Bastien

* Re: hiding PROPERTIES line
@ 2010-08-04 16:35   ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2010-08-04 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> to 100% hide the :PROPERTIES: drawer while giving the user a hint that
> there is one...

What about a command to hide/unhide _all_ :PROPERTY: lines?
Then they're out-of-the-way in ordinary use, and you can do the
command and see if there's a property
drawer on a given entry.

Better, you would hide all :PROPERTY: drawers that contain only
specified properties.
Then you could have tree-wide properties (such as entry creation or
modification times) for every entry,
without cluttering the tree.   You could set the entry creation
property at creation time, and entry
modification property at save time (by seeing which entries have
changed since last save).
Then you could quickly find recently-modified entries either globally
or in a given subtree.

Also, it would be good to have a command to hide :LOGBOOK: lines in
the same way.
Usually they're only needed for computing time totals spent under each
tree branch,
but you don't care about the details recorded in a given :LOGBOOK:
drawer.   More generally,
you could have a list of "hideable" drawers that are completely
hidden/revealed by the command,
unless they meet a condition specified by a callback function.

Would that be hard to add?

thanks,

ilya

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
> Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to hide/show the :PROPERTIES: line representing the
>> properties locker, either globally or for a subtree?
>
> Nope.
>
> Well, every UI element you hide must be partly visible, so that the user
> knows how to unhide (or unfold) it.  I cannot think of a reasonable way
> to 100% hide the :PROPERTIES: drawer while giving the user a hint that
> there is one...
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: hiding PROPERTIES line
@ 2010-08-04 22:34     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-08-04 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ilya,

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Would that be hard to add?

IMHO it would be both hard to implement and confusing for the user.

I'd be glad to be proved wrong on both points, but please tackle the
first one first :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: hiding PROPERTIES line
@ 2010-08-04 23:19       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-08-04 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Ilya Shlyakhter, emacs-orgmode

I believe that what Ilya wants is already implemented as a bug (IMO).

With certain settings, going to an entry from the agenda causes it to
look like this:

  * test ...
  ** subtree

The ellipses hide all body text.

IMO this should not be allowed to happen, because the user cannot
achieve that state using TAB alone.  That is just my preference.  But
Ilya wants it, so maybe by investigating the bug he can investigate
how to do it the way he wants.

All of the above is IIRC.  Please take a look at a recent post from me
for details.

Samuel

On 2010-08-04, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
> Hi Ilya,
>
> Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> Would that be hard to add?
>
> IMHO it would be both hard to implement and confusing for the user.
>
> I'd be glad to be proved wrong on both points, but please tackle the
> first one first :)
>
> --
>  Bastien

Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly disease for 25 years]
Retrovirus: http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/index.html -- PLEASE DONATE
===
PNAS must publish the original Lo and Alter NIH/FDA XMRV paper
verbatim along with the new paper.