* org-export-latex-classes issue
@ 2010-10-20 19:11 chris.m.malone
From: chris.m.malone @ 2010-10-20 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'ma n00b to Lisp and org-mode so please forgive me if the answer is
obvious. I'm using version 7.01h of org-mode.

I'm trying to set up a custom Latex class to use for preparing a document.
Some Google searching showed that I need to add this class to the
org-export-latex-classes symbol. I tried to do this in my .emacs file, for
example following what is listed at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php by adding the
following to my .emacs file:

(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
'("article"
"\\documentclass{article}"
("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))

I know that org-export-latex-default-class is already set to "article" but
this example already shows that something is wrong. When I load emacs the
debugger complains that org-export-latex-classes is an empty list:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-export-latex-classes)
add-to-list(org-export-latex-classes ("article" "\\documentclass{article}"
("$
eval-buffer(#<buffer *load*> nil "/home/cmalone/.emacs" nil t) ; Reading at$
load-with-code-conversion("/home/cmalone/.emacs" "/home/cmalone/.emacs" tt)
load("~/.emacs" tt)
#[nil "^H\205\276^@ \306=\203^Q^@\307^H\310Q\202A^@ \311=\2033^@\312\307\31$
command-line()
normal-top-level()

As far as I can tell, org-export-latex-classes is set to nil in
org-latex.el, but this isn't loaded until the export dispatcher calls
org-export-as-latex. Is this correct? Coincidentally, if I export to latex,
the appropriate .tex file is created without issue.

My original goal was to setup a custom Latex class - I have tried in the
same manner as that used above for the "article" class and the debugger
produces the same result. However, when I attempt to export to latex I get
the error that my custom class isn't in the org-export-latex-classes list,
presumably because of the failure in loading the .emacs file.

Any advice?

Chris

* Re: org-export-latex-classes issue
@ 2010-10-20 19:49 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-20 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.m.malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 20, 2010, at 9:11 AM, chris.m.malone@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a n00b to Lisp and org-mode so please forgive me if the answer
> is obvious. I'm using version 7.01h of org-mode.
>
> I'm trying to set up a custom Latex class to use for preparing a
> document. Some Google searching showed that I need to add this class
> to the org-export-latex-classes symbol. I tried to do this in
> my .emacs file, for example following what is listed at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php
>  by adding the following to my .emacs file:
>
> (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
> '("article"
> "\\documentclass{article}"
> ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")))
>

> I know that org-export-latex-default-class is already set to
> "article" but this example already shows that something is wrong.
> When I load emacs the debugger complains that org-export-latex-
> classes is an empty list:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-export-latex-classes)
> add-to-list(org-export-latex-classes ("article" "\
> \documentclass{article}" ("$
> eval-buffer(#<buffer *load*> nil "/home/cmalone/.emacs" nil t) ;
> Reading at$
> load-with-code-conversion("/home/cmalone/.emacs" "/home/
> cmalone/.emacs" t t)
> load("~/.emacs" t t)
> #[nil "^H\205\276^@ \306=\203^Q^@\307^H\310Q\202A^@ \311=\2033^@
> \312\307\31$
> command-line()
> normal-top-level()
>
> As far as I can tell, org-export-latex-classes is set to nil in org-
> latex.el, but this isn't loaded until the export dispatcher calls
> org-export-as-latex. Is this correct? Coincidentally, if I export to
> latex, the appropriate .tex file is created without issue.
>
> My original goal was to setup a custom Latex class - I have tried in
> the same manner as that used above for the "article" class and the
> debugger produces the same result. However, when I attempt to export
> to latex I get the error that my custom class isn't in the org-
> export-latex-classes list, presumably because of the failure in
>
> Any advice?
>
> Chris_______________________________________________

Hi Chris,

My tutorial might have been over-optimistic about the ease of
configuration.  Perhaps you also need this in your .emacs before you
add-to-list:

  (require 'org-latex)

All the best,
Tom

* Re: org-export-latex-classes issue
@ 2010-10-20 19:54   ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2010-10-20 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

That fixed it - I figured it was something simple.  Thanks!

Chris

@ 2010-10-20 20:01     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-20 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Malone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode