* One year after - questions and suggestions
@ 2009-03-14 16:43 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-03-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten and all,

it's been one year now that I stopped actively contributing to Org, but
I didn't stop using it, of course.  Here is a loooong list of questions
and suggestions I have.  I tested them over a fresh Org and Emacs, both
pulled from their repos this morning.

I apologize if most of this has already been mentionned in discussions I
missed - I digged the mailing list a bit but I didn't check thoroughly.

Thanks!

- BUG: When export a descriptive list to ASCII, replace the ":"
  separator by a single ":".

- BUG: Switch to a state requiring an annotation, cancel the annotation,
  there will be an empty :LOGBOOK: drawer.  Remove it?

- BUG: When picking up a date with `org-time-stamp', <up> and <down> will
  browse the minibuffer history.  I think it does not make sense here.

- BUG/FR: When building completion list for refiling, don't include the
  very entry we are trying to refile.

- BUG: In agenda mode, C-e goes to the [last-1] char of the line.  (Note
  that this is not visible when the entries finishes with a link.)

- BUG: Weird result of C-c * when used before the first heading.

- BUG: Properties inserting in a remember buffer are not indented
  correctly when the remember note goes to its target.  For example:

  * My remember note
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort: 10
    :END:

  Is refiled to the Notes entries:

  * Notes
  ** My remember note
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort: 10
   :END:

  ... but the drawer does not align with the stars.

- BUG?: When deleting an attachment, the :ID: property is not itself
  deleted.  Not sure if it's wrong, but it's weird.

- FR: In addition to the {+} {:} facilities for dynamically computing a
  property's value, have a way to use a calc or a tbl formula?
  Additionnally, have a _DEFAULT suffix to define defaults.

- FR: A function to display the link the cursor is on (the same way the
  mouse displays a small popup.)  This function would particularily be
  useful in the agenda view.

- FR: C-c C-l in agenda view to edit link at point?  (Or is this
  producing to much overlap between org-agenda and the normal org
  editing mode?)

- FR: Highlight the currently clocked-in task in agenda-mode?

- FR: When selecting an attachment, if there is already a directory
  defined for this the current entry, then use this directory as the
  default directory for browsing and select the attachment.

- FR: All numeric values within brackets are highlighted.  Since this
  type of footnotes is now discouraged, I think it make sense not to
  highlight those values (having digits in square brackets is not so
  rare.)

- FR: When refiling to a non-existent entry, create this entry on the
  fly?

- FR: Allow to insert "+1d"-type strings when picking up a date with
  `org-time-stamp'.

- FR: Symmetric to individual lead time, I wish I can have individual
  "remaining" time - for example, the number of days during which a
  deadline is still visible in the agenda view.  (That would happily
  steal 90% of what org-expiry.el is trying to achieve.)

- FR: IMHO, turning off follow-mode in the agenda view should restore
  the window configuration we had before turning follow-mode on.  (By
  the way, not being able to use `C-x 1' when follow-mode is on is quite
  confusing.)

- FR: Following a sh: or an elisp: link prompts the user for
  confirmation.  Can we have a variable that let the user to globally
  turn this off?

- FR: Visually mark (with #) entries that are marked in the agenda view?

- FR: When setting a mark in the agenda view, go to the next line?
  (Like in buffer-menu and other menu mode.)

- FR: When undoing an archive command, correctly delete was has been
  added to the archive file?

- FR: Symmetric to `C-c / b' have a `C-c / a' command to select entries
  that are after a date?

- FR: Maybe `?' could provide a little help in agenda mode.

- FR: Grouping several :clock: lines when clocking periods are very
  close to each other (with a user-defined threshold).  For example,
  clocking 5 times 10 minutes within the same hour would be rounded up
  to one hour.

- Q: How to set a recurring time range (say an 2-days event)?

  For example: <2009-03-14 sam>--<2009-03-15 dim> recurring each month.
  I know I could use a diary sexp but I wonder if it's possible withing
  Org's syntax.

- Q: Is there a way to select properties which values are = < > to a
  numeric value?

- Q: `org-attach-auto-tag' has no effect when attaching a directory
  (instead of a file)?

- Q/FR: Is there a way to set `org-enforce-todo-dependencies' per task?
  (By the way, if I understand correctly, the :ORDERED: property only
  makes sense when `org-enforce-todo-dependencies' is non-nil, right?)

- Q/FR: How to go at the end of a field in a table?  Maybe C-a and C-e
  could be contextually redefined to do this, since a table is such a
  specific editing context.

- Q/FR: How to delete the timestamp of an entry from the agenda?  Maybe
  `C-c C-d SPC', `C-c C-s SPC' could respectively delete deadlines and
  scheduled properties.  Or maybe C-c C-u could remove any timestamp
  (this keystroke is free in org-agenda-mode since outline-mode is not
  loaded.)

Thanks for any feedback,

--
 Bastien

* Re: One year after - questions and suggestions
@ 2009-03-15 13:54 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-15 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 14, 2009, at 5:43 PM, Bastien wrote:

> Hi Carsten and all,
>
> it's been one year now that I stopped actively contributing to Org,
> but
> I didn't stop using it, of course.  Here is a loooong list of
> questions
> and suggestions I have.  I tested them over a fresh Org and Emacs,
> both
> pulled from their repos this morning.
>
> I apologize if most of this has already been mentionned in
> discussions I
> missed - I digged the mailing list a bit but I didn't check
> thoroughly.
>
> Thanks!

> - BUG: When export a descriptive list to ASCII, replace the ":"
>  separator by a single ":".m

Fixed.  I am also removing the list bullet for this case.

> - BUG: Switch to a state requiring an annotation, cancel the
> annotation,
>  there will be an empty :LOGBOOK: drawer.  Remove it?

Yes.  done.

> - BUG: When picking up a date with `org-time-stamp', <up> and <down>
> will
>  browse the minibuffer history.  I think it does not make sense here.

This has now its own history list.

> - BUG/FR: When building completion list for refiling, don't include
> the
>  very entry we are trying to refile.

This is a bit hard, and Org will throw a good error if you try.

> - BUG: In agenda mode, C-e goes to the [last-1] char of the line.
> (Note
>  that this is not visible when the entries finishes with a link.)

It does because I want to avoid problems with the overlay keymaps
and stuff like this.  Why is it a problem?

> - BUG: Weird result of C-c * when used before the first heading.

Fixed.

> - BUG: Properties inserting in a remember buffer are not indented
>  correctly when the remember note goes to its target.  For example:
>
>  * My remember note
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :Effort: 10
>    :END:
>
>  Is refiled to the Notes entries:
>
>  * Notes
>  ** My remember note
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :Effort: 10
>   :END:
>
>  ... but the drawer does not align with the stars.

It is for me.  The reason why the indentation adaptation does not work
it probably because you have lines that are not indented at all in the
note as well.  This will inhibit org-adapt-indentation when pasting
a subtree.  Only if all lines are indented at least one space, then
indentation will be adapted during pasting.

> - BUG?: When deleting an attachment, the :ID: property is not itself
>  deleted.  Not sure if it's wrong, but it's weird.

The ID property is something independent of the attachment,  how
could Org know that you do not need it for different purposes?

formulas....."

> - FR: A function to display the link the cursor is on (the same way
> the
>  mouse displays a small popup.)  This function would particularily be
>  useful in the agenda view.

C-c C-l  LOOK  RET RET   :-)
Hard to find new key bindings for these.
TODO

> - FR: C-c C-l in agenda view to edit link at point?  (Or is this
>  producing to much overlap between org-agenda and the normal org
>  editing mode?)
>
> - FR: Highlight the currently clocked-in task in agenda-mode?

Good one.
TODO

> - FR: When selecting an attachment, if there is already a directory
>  defined for this the current entry, then use this directory as the
>  default directory for browsing and select the attachment.

You mean if there is an attachment directory defined?
What do you mean by "when selecting and attachment"?

> - FR: All numeric values within brackets are highlighted.  Since this
>  type of footnotes is now discouraged, I think it make sense not to
>  highlight those values (having digits in square brackets is not so
>  rare.)

I guess we should have an option to disable these as footnote markers,
yes.
TODO

> - FR: When refiling to a non-existent entry, create this entry on the
>  fly?

This has been requested frequently - I am not sure if I can do this
with all the different completion interfaces...
TODO

> - FR: Allow to insert "+1d"-type strings when picking up a date with
>  `org-time-stamp'.

This works for me, what am I missing here?

> - FR: Symmetric to individual lead time, I wish I can have individual
>  "remaining" time - for example, the number of days during which a
>  deadline is still visible in the agenda view.  (That would happily
>  steal 90% of what org-expiry.el is trying to achieve.)

I think the purpose of deadlines is for them sting you until you do
something about them?  For me it seems that this would be counter
productive.  Why don't you tick off these items ok archive/kill them????

> - FR: IMHO, turning off follow-mode in the agenda view should restore
>  the window configuration we had before turning follow-mode on.

Hmmm, I am not sure.  When you press SPC to look at an entry, the config
is also not restored.  Still, maybe a good idea........
TODO

>  (By
>  the way, not being able to use `C-x 1' when follow-mode is on is
> quite
>  confusing.)
>
> - FR: Following a sh: or an elisp: link prompts the user for
>  confirmation.  Can we have a variable that let the user to globally
>  turn this off?

Yes, there is such a variable: org-confirm-elisp-link-function
and org-confirm-shell-link-function.

> - FR: Visually mark (with #) entries that are marked in the agenda
> view?

I am not sure what you are talking about, what marking???

> - FR: When setting a mark in the agenda view, go to the next line?
>  (Like in buffer-menu and other menu mode.)

I am not sure what you are talking about, what marking???

> - FR: When undoing an archive command, correctly delete was has been
>  added to the archive file?

This is hard and error-prone.

> - FR: Symmetric to `C-c / b' have a `C-c / a' command to select
> entries
>  that are after a date?

Implemented, thanks.

> - FR: Maybe `?' could provide a little help in agenda mode.

Hmmm, yes, why not.  What should it say?
Because, the keys are available in the menu.

> - FR: Grouping several :clock: lines when clocking periods are very
>  close to each other (with a user-defined threshold).  For example,
>  clocking 5 times 10 minutes within the same hour would be rounded up
>  to one hour.

With things nicely tugged way into drawers, I see no reasons to do this.

> - Q: How to set a recurring time range (say an 2-days event)?
>
>  For example: <2009-03-14 sam>--<2009-03-15 dim> recurring each month.
>  I know I could use a diary sexp but I wonder if it's possible withing
>  Org's syntax.

Would be nice, but handling time stamps is already extremely
complex because of all the little things I added.  I think I
would like to rewrite the entire timestamp handling first,
which will not happen.

> - Q: Is there a way to select properties which values are = < > to a
>  numeric value?

yes! "PROPERTY<5" in any tags/property search

> - Q: `org-attach-auto-tag' has no effect when attaching a directory
>  (instead of a file)?
>
> - Q/FR: Is there a way to set `org-enforce-todo-dependencies' per
> task?
>  (By the way, if I understand correctly, the :ORDERED: property only
>  makes sense when `org-enforce-todo-dependencies' is non-nil, right?)

No, this is currently not possible.  I guess we could have
another property for this.  However, this would only work
locally, not for the agenda because if you do not set the global
option, the test looking for dependencies is optimized away.
I believe this is good.

> - Q/FR: How to go at the end of a field in a table?  Maybe C-a and C-e
>  could be contextually redefined to do this, since a table is such a
>  specific editing context.

Word-motion commands?  I am not comfortable with overloading C-a and C-
e.

> - Q/FR: How to delete the timestamp of an entry from the agenda?
> Maybe
>  `C-c C-d SPC', `C-c C-s SPC' could respectively delete deadlines and
>  scheduled properties.  Or maybe C-c C-u could remove any timestamp
>  (this keystroke is free in org-agenda-mode since outline-mode is not
>  loaded.)

I believe C-u C-c C-s and C-u C-c C-d do this for Deadlines.  You men
the time stamp w/o any keyword????

- Carsten

* Re: One year after - questions and suggestions
@ 2009-03-15 16:26   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-03-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>> - BUG: In agenda mode, C-e goes to the [last-1] char of the line.
>> (Note that this is not visible when the entries finishes with a
>> link.)
>
> It does because I want to avoid problems with the overlay keymaps
> and stuff like this.  Why is it a problem?

Well, it is not really.

>>  ... but the drawer does not align with the stars.
>
> It is for me.  The reason why the indentation adaptation does not work
> it probably because you have lines that are not indented at all in the
> note as well.  This will inhibit org-adapt-indentation when pasting
> a subtree.  Only if all lines are indented at least one space, then
> indentation will be adapted during pasting.

Good to know, thanks.

>> - BUG?: When deleting an attachment, the :ID: property is not itself
>>  deleted.  Not sure if it's wrong, but it's weird.
>
> The ID property is something independent of the attachment,  how
> could Org know that you do not need it for different purposes?

For me the ID was created by attaching a file.  I expected detaching it
would delete the ID, but of course, IDs can have other purposes.

>>  property's value, have a way to use a calc or a tbl formula?
>>  Additionnally, have a _DEFAULT suffix to define defaults.
>
> There was a patch recently on the mailing list, subject "elisp
> formulas....."

Seen it, will test it closely.

>> - FR: A function to display the link the cursor is on (the same way
>> the
>>  mouse displays a small popup.)  This function would particularily be
>>  useful in the agenda view.
>
> C-c C-l  LOOK  RET RET   :-)

:)

> Hard to find new key bindings for these.

But C-c C-l is not accessible from the agenda, right?

>> - FR: When selecting an attachment, if there is already a directory
>>  defined for this the current entry, then use this directory as the
>>  default directory for browsing and select the attachment.
>
> You mean if there is an attachment directory defined?

Yes.

> What do you mean by "when selecting and attachment"?

C-c C-a should be aware of any previously defined directory, and take
this directory as the default directory when browsing for other files
to attach.  Am I more clear?

>> - FR: Allow to insert "+1d"-type strings when picking up a date with
>>  `org-time-stamp'.
>
> This works for me, what am I missing here?

Weird.  C-c C-s + 1 d RET does only insert today's date here, no "+1d"
string.

>> - FR: Symmetric to individual lead time, I wish I can have individual
>>  "remaining" time - for example, the number of days during which a
>>  deadline is still visible in the agenda view.  (That would happily
>>  steal 90% of what org-expiry.el is trying to achieve.)
>
> I think the purpose of deadlines is for them sting you until you do
> something about them?  For me it seems that this would be counter
> productive.  Why don't you tick off these items ok archive/kill them????

Well, let's say I plan to do something next week but it's not high
priority.  I want it to pop up in my agenda view next week, and stay for
three days, because passed this delay, I know I won't have any interest
in doing it anymore.  Having something like +3d looks consistent to me
-- but I agree I can find workarounds.  Or just fix my habits :)

>> - FR: Following a sh: or an elisp: link prompts the user for
>>  confirmation.  Can we have a variable that let the user to globally
>>  turn this off?
>
> Yes, there is such a variable: org-confirm-elisp-link-function
> and org-confirm-shell-link-function.

Great, thanks!

>> - FR: Visually mark (with #) entries that are marked in the agenda
>> view?
>
> I am not sure what you are talking about, what marking???

Sorry I meant when marking an entry with `k m' in agenda view.

>> - FR: When setting a mark in the agenda view, go to the next line?
>>  (Like in buffer-menu and other menu mode.)
>
> I am not sure what you are talking about, what marking???

Same here.  `k m' would jump to the next unmarked entry.

>> - FR: Maybe `?' could provide a little help in agenda mode.
>
> Hmmm, yes, why not.  What should it say?

Will think of it.

> Because, the keys are available in the menu.

Yeah, but maybe some people don't use menus (I don't).

>> - FR: Grouping several :clock: lines when clocking periods are very
>>  close to each other (with a user-defined threshold).  For example,
>>  clocking 5 times 10 minutes within the same hour would be rounded up
>>  to one hour.
>
> With things nicely tugged way into drawers, I see no reasons to do this.

The main reason was to cheat and try pretend you've been working 1 hour
when you really worked 50 minutes :)

>> - Q: Is there a way to select properties which values are = < > to a
>>  numeric value?
>
> yes! "PROPERTY<5" in any tags/property search

Great!

>> - Q/FR: How to go at the end of a field in a table?  Maybe C-a and C-e
>>  could be contextually redefined to do this, since a table is such a
>>  specific editing context.
>
> Word-motion commands?  I am not comfortable with overloading C-a and C-
> e.

forward-paragraph and backward-paragraph would make sense, no?  For now
M-} jumps out of the table.

>>  `C-c C-d SPC', `C-c C-s SPC' could respectively delete deadlines and
>>  scheduled properties.  Or maybe C-c C-u could remove any timestamp
>>  (this keystroke is free in org-agenda-mode since outline-mode is not
>>  loaded.)
>
> I believe C-u C-c C-s and C-u C-c C-d do this for Deadlines.  You men
> the time stamp w/o any keyword????

The problem is that you don't see whether an entry is scheduled or has a
deadline in agenda view.  How do you decide which one to delete?

Thanks for all answers!

--

@ 2009-03-19 16:40     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-19 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 15, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Bastien wrote:

>>> property's value, have a way to use a calc or a tbl formula?
>>> Additionnally, have a _DEFAULT suffix to define defaults.
>>
>> There was a patch recently on the mailing list, subject "elisp
>> formulas....."
>
> Seen it, will test it closely.

Please do, I am interested in this patch, maybe you see ways
to expand the possibilities.

>>> - FR: A function to display the link the cursor is on (the same way
>>> the
>>> mouse displays a small popup.)  This function would particularily be
>>> useful in the agenda view.
>>
>> C-c C-l  LOOK  RET RET   :-)
>
> :)
>
>> Hard to find new key bindings for these.
>
> But C-c C-l is not accessible from the agenda, right?

No, it is not, and I'd rather not make it.  There could be several links
in a headline, and the agenda is really meant to have commands that
do not depend on where in the line the cursor is.

I guess you could add to post-command-hook in the agenda something
like this, to use the echo area if it is empty:

(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (add-hook 'post-command-hook
		      (lambda ()
			(unless (current-message)
			  (if (looking-at ".*?\\[\\[\\(.*?\\)\\]")
			      (message "Link to: %s"
				       (org-match-string-no-properties 1)))))
		      t t)))

>>> - FR: When selecting an attachment, if there is already a directory
>>> defined for this the current entry, then use this directory as the
>>> default directory for browsing and select the attachment.
>>
>> You mean if there is an attachment directory defined?
>
> Yes.
>
>> What do you mean by "when selecting and attachment"?
>
> C-c C-a should be aware of any previously defined directory, and take
> this directory as the default directory when browsing for other files
> to attach.  Am I more clear?

No, not clear to me.

Do you mean that the attachment directory should become the default?
No, maybe you mean that if I have already attached a/b/c/file,
the next time you want to attach a file from the same directory, a/b/c?

>>> - FR: Allow to insert "+1d"-type strings when picking up a date with
>>> `org-time-stamp'.
>>
>> This works for me, what am I missing here?
>
> Weird.  C-c C-s + 1 d RET does only insert today's date here, no "+1d"
> string.
>
>>> - FR: Symmetric to individual lead time, I wish I can have
>>> individual
>>> "remaining" time - for example, the number of days during which a
>>> deadline is still visible in the agenda view.  (That would happily
>>> steal 90% of what org-expiry.el is trying to achieve.)
>>
>> I think the purpose of deadlines is for them sting you until you do
>> something about them?  For me it seems that this would be counter
>> productive.  Why don't you tick off these items ok archive/kill
>> them????
>
> Well, let's say I plan to do something next week but it's not high
> priority.  I want it to pop up in my agenda view next week, and stay
> for
> three days, because passed this delay, I know I won't have any
> interest
> in doing it anymore.  Having something like +3d looks consistent to me
> -- but I agree I can find workarounds.  Or just fix my habits :)
>
>>> - FR: Following a sh: or an elisp: link prompts the user for
>>> confirmation.  Can we have a variable that let the user to globally
>>> turn this off?
>>
>> Yes, there is such a variable: org-confirm-elisp-link-function
>> and org-confirm-shell-link-function.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
>>> - FR: Visually mark (with #) entries that are marked in the agenda
>>> view?
>>
>> I am not sure what you are talking about, what marking???
>
> Sorry I meant when marking an entry with `k m' in agenda view.
>
>>> - FR: When setting a mark in the agenda view, go to the next line?
>>> (Like in buffer-menu and other menu mode.)
>>
>> I am not sure what you are talking about, what marking???
>
> Same here.  `k m' would jump to the next unmarked entry.
>
>>> - FR: Maybe `?' could provide a little help in agenda mode.
>>
>> Hmmm, yes, why not.  What should it say?
>
> Will think of it.
>
>> Because, the keys are available in the menu.
>
> Yeah, but maybe some people don't use menus (I don't).

I use them to look up keys, nothing else :-)

>>> - FR: Grouping several :clock: lines when clocking periods are very
>>> close to each other (with a user-defined threshold).  For example,
>>> clocking 5 times 10 minutes within the same hour would be rounded up
>>> to one hour.
>>
>> With things nicely tugged way into drawers, I see no reasons to do
>> this.
>
> The main reason was to cheat and try pretend you've been working 1
> hour
> when you really worked 50 minutes :)

Yes, I can see that, but anything automatic would probably create
crap.  Editing time stamps is easy enough though....

> Great!
>
>>> - Q/FR: How to go at the end of a field in a table?  Maybe C-a and
>>> C-e
>>> could be contextually redefined to do this, since a table is such a
>>> specific editing context.
>>
>> Word-motion commands?  I am not comfortable with overloading C-a
>> and C-
>> e.
>
> forward-paragraph and backward-paragraph would make sense, no?  For
> now
> M-} jumps out of the table.
>
>>> `C-c C-d SPC', `C-c C-s SPC' could respectively delete deadlines and
>>> scheduled properties.  Or maybe C-c C-u could remove any timestamp
>>> (this keystroke is free in org-agenda-mode since outline-mode is not
>>> loaded.)
>>
>> I believe C-u C-c C-s and C-u C-c C-d do this for Deadlines.  You men
>> the time stamp w/o any keyword????
>
> The problem is that you don't see whether an entry is scheduled or
> has a
> deadline in agenda view.  How do you decide which one to delete?

Well, the prefix in the agenda does tell you if it is scheduled or a
deadline!

- Carsten

* Re: One year after - questions and suggestions
@ 2009-03-21 17:21     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode