From: Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@mac.com>
To: Org Mode List <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: RSI
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:22:13 -0500	[thread overview]

Emacs can definitely lead to RSI - Richard Stallman, the creator,
developed it.

I am quite prone to RSI, which led me to VIM due to its modal
operation (very few modifier key combos). I used VIM for quite a while
and did not have any issues, but org-mode pulled me to emacs. I now
use a kinesis keyboard and have no RSI issues. The keyboard combined
with the idea expressed below that you use different hands when
pressing control key combinations has really helped. The Kinesis puts
all the control keys (control, meta, command) on your thumbs. Its
expensive, but worth every penny to me at least. Check them out at http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/

Keith

On Sep 1, 2009, at 1:11 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Orgers,
>
> Repetitive strain injury is real and important.
>
> One thing that you can do is to ensure that you have a keyboard that
> has modifier keys on both sides.  You should pound a new habit into
> your cerebellum: use two hands.
>
> For example, c-c c-o should look like this:
>
>  r hand presses ctrl
>  l hand presses c
>  let go
>  l hand presses ctrl
>  r hand presses o
>  let go
>
> This is obviously inefficient, but it is the correct thing.
>
> Ideally, the most important c-c and c-x operations would be on the
> lhs.  That way, you can hold down ctrl and press the two keys.
>
> Many (maybe even most) will find this idea strange.  But I urge all of
> you to try it for a few months.
>

> On 2009-09-01, PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matt Lundin <mdl <at> imapmail.org> writes:
>>>
>>> An aside: Swapping caps-lock and control makes C-c a very convenient
>>> key combination.
>>>

>> If things come that one can also configure e.g. the right control
>> key as a special prefix key which makes such combinations even
>> more convenient, because unlike "C-c a" you can press "Rctrl a"
>> with two hands.
>>
>> In case of right handed people the right control key is usually
>> unused, so it's practical to use it for something else than it's
>> original purpose.

> Myalgic encephalomyelitis causes death (Jason et al. 2006)
> and severe suffering.  Conflicts of interest are destroying
> research.  What people "know" is wrong.  Silence = death.
> http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

Keith Lancaster
klancaster1957@mac.com