* Sorting top level items
@ 2007-02-16 10:44 redblue last
From: redblue last @ 2007-02-16 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

When I have top level items like these:

* c
* a
** some subitem
** other subitem
* b
** another subitem
* d

I get a "nothing to sort" error when trying to use "org-sort-entries".
Is there a way to sort those in any way?

* Re: Sorting top level items
@ 2007-02-17 20:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-02-17 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: redblue last; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

To sort top-level entries you need to have an active region containing
the entries you want to sort (using transient-mark-mode).

- Carsten

On Feb 16, 2007, at 11:44, redblue last wrote:

> Hi.
>
> When I have top level items like these:
>
> * c
> * a
> ** some subitem
> ** other subitem
> * b
> ** another subitem
> * d
>
> I get a "nothing to sort" error when trying to use "org-sort-entries".
> Is there a way to sort those in any way?

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Sorting top level items
@ 2007-02-18 10:17   ` redblue last
From: redblue last @ 2007-02-18 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2/17/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> To sort top-level entries you need to have an active region containing
> the entries you want to sort (using transient-mark-mode).

Thanks, this somewhat works.

I have two problems with it.

First minor problem is that it doesn't sort the first entry if it is
at the beginning of the buffer. Only the entries from second to end of
region are sorted.
For example:

* c
* b
* a

would be

* c
* a
* b

If "*c" is the first line in the buffer.

Second problem is if I have something like:

* DONE d
  CLOSED: [2007-02-18 sun]
* TODO a
* TODO b

I get an error saying "Region to sort contains a level above the first entry.

If however I have this:

* DONE d   CLOSED: [2007-02-18 sun]
* TODO a
* TODO b