* pabbrev
@ 2007-09-17  7:41 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2007-09-17  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I just discovered pabbrev-mode
(http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord/download/emacs/pabbrev.el),
which seems really great, but in org-mode (5.09) the suggestions don't
show up until i press TAB twice (meaning that if there are several
suggestions, I have to press 0-9 to choose one each time). Does anyone
know of a way to get it to work alright with org-mode? (I understand that
the TAB key is "taken" for view-cycling when in headlines, but I can't see
any good reason why the suggestions shouldn't automatically show up in
org-mode...)

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

* Re: pabbrev
@ 2007-09-17 11:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-17 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 17, 2007, at 9:41, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just discovered pabbrev-mode
> (http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord/download/emacs/
> pabbrev.el), which seems really great, but in org-mode (5.09) the
> suggestions don't show up until i press TAB twice (meaning that if
> there are several suggestions, I have to press 0-9 to choose one each
> time). Does anyone know of a way to get it to work alright with
> org-mode? (I understand that the TAB key is "taken" for view-cycling
> when in headlines, but I can't see any good reason why the suggestions
> shouldn't automatically show up in org-mode...)

I am curious if you find this useful after a while, Phillip himself
says that it is more useful for programming than for writing text.
It works much better for repetitive text than for expressive text.

I *think* you need to add org-self-insert-command and (if you
use orgtbl-mode) orgtbl-selt-insert-command to the list in
pabbrev-expand-after-command-list.

- Carsten

* Re: pabbrev
@ 2007-09-17 15:34   ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2007-09-17 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

På Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:44:53 +0200, skrev Carsten Dominik
<dominik@science.uva.nl>:

> On Sep 17, 2007, at 9:41, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just discovered pabbrev-mode
>> (http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord/download/emacs/pabbrev.el),
>> which seems really great, but in org-mode (5.09) the suggestions don't
>> show up until i press TAB twice (meaning that if there are several
>> suggestions, I have to press 0-9 to choose one each time). Does anyone
>> know of a way to get it to work alright with org-mode? (I understand
>> that the TAB key is "taken" for view-cycling when in headlines, but I
>> can't see any good reason why the suggestions shouldn't automatically
>> show up in org-mode...)
>
> I am curious if you find this useful after a while, Phillip himself
> says that it is more useful for programming than for writing text.
> It works much better for repetitive text than for expressive text.

Well, I use org-mode for taking notes while reading, and for psychology
texts eg. it's really nice not having to write "suprachiasmatic" out every
time (plus, in Norwegian, as in German, compound nouns get bunched
together into one word).

> I *think* you need to add org-self-insert-command and (if you
> use orgtbl-mode) orgtbl-selt-insert-command to the list in
> pabbrev-expand-after-command-list.

Thanks lots, this works great :-)

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

* Re: Re: pabbrev
@ 2007-09-18  2:59     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2007-09-18  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Kevin Brubeck Unhammer" <pixiemotion@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, I use org-mode for taking notes while reading, and for psychology
> texts eg. it's really nice not having to write "suprachiasmatic" out every
> time (plus, in Norwegian, as in German, compound nouns get bunched together
> into one word).

For specific long words, I find the default binding of M-/ extremely useful.
It doesn't get in your way, yet it's there for every buffer when you need it.

John