* Bug in org-export-icalendar
@ 2008-11-11 13:17 Harri Kiiskinen
From: Harri Kiiskinen @ 2008-11-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

when exporting org entries to icalendar files, I noticed a small bug.

Both of these are valid in org-mode and result in similar entries in
the agenda, with the date and time set:

---test.org---
* Thing 16:00-18:00
  <2008-11-11 Tue>
* Another Thing
  <2008-11-11 Tue 16:00-18:00>
---test.org---

makes

--
Tuesday    11 November 2008
               8:00...... ----------------

But when exported (org-export-icalendar-this-file; same behaviour with
org-export-icalendar-combine-agenda-files), the times are set
correctly only in the second, "Another Thing", whereas in the first,
the time period ends up in the description, but not in the DTSTART -
DTEND pair. See example:

---test.ics---
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:test
PRODID:-//Harri Kiiskinen//Emacs with Org-mode//EN
X-WR-TIMEZONE:EET
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID: TS-4tvh2qp0tfe0@localhost.localdomain.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20081111
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20081112
SUMMARY:Thing 16:00-18:00
CATEGORIES:test
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID: TS-bgki2qp0tfe0@localhost.localdomain.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me
DTSTART:20081111T160000
DTEND:20081111T180000
SUMMARY:Another Thing
CATEGORIES:test
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR
---test.ics---

Best,

Harri K.

* Re: Bug in org-export-icalendar
@ 2008-11-11 16:34 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-11 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harri Kiiskinen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Harri,

yes, only times in time stamps will be used in iCalendar export.
Times in the headline
are too unpredictable.  The agenda uses them as a service because
nothing really bad can happen.  But if you want consistency across
applications, you should define times in a consistent way, i.e. in the
stamp.

- Carsten

On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Harri Kiiskinen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when exporting org entries to icalendar files, I noticed a small bug.
>
> Both of these are valid in org-mode and result in similar entries in
> the agenda, with the date and time set:
>
> ---test.org---
> * Thing 16:00-18:00
>  <2008-11-11 Tue>
> * Another Thing
>  <2008-11-11 Tue 16:00-18:00>
> ---test.org---
>
> makes
>
> --
> Tuesday    11 November 2008
>               8:00...... ----------------
>              10:00...... ----------------
>              12:00...... ----------------
>              14:00...... ----------------
>              16:00...... ----------------
>  test:       16:00-18:00 Thing
>  test:       16:00-18:00 Another Thing
>              18:00...... ----------------
>              20:00...... ----------------
> --
>
> But when exported (org-export-icalendar-this-file; same behaviour with
> org-export-icalendar-combine-agenda-files), the times are set
> correctly only in the second, "Another Thing", whereas in the first,
> the time period ends up in the description, but not in the DTSTART -
> DTEND pair. See example:
>
> ---test.ics---
> BEGIN:VCALENDAR
> VERSION:2.0
> X-WR-CALNAME:test
> PRODID:-//Harri Kiiskinen//Emacs with Org-mode//EN
> X-WR-TIMEZONE:EET
> CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
> BEGIN:VEVENT
> UID: TS-4tvh2qp0tfe0@localhost.localdomain.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me
> DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20081111
> DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20081112
> SUMMARY:Thing 16:00-18:00
> CATEGORIES:test
> END:VEVENT
> BEGIN:VEVENT
> UID: TS-bgki2qp0tfe0@localhost.localdomain.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me
> DTSTART:20081111T160000
> DTEND:20081111T180000
> SUMMARY:Another Thing
> CATEGORIES:test
> END:VEVENT
> END:VCALENDAR
> ---test.ics---
>
> Best,
>
> Harri K.

* Inheritance of LOCATION when exporting ICal (Was: Re: Bug in org-export-icalendar)
@ 2008-11-13 14:41   ` Harri Kiiskinen
From: Harri Kiiskinen @ 2008-11-13 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug in org-export-icalendar
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:34:20 +0100

> yes, only times in time stamps will be used in iCalendar export.  Times in the headline
> are too unpredictable.  The agenda uses them as a service because nothing really bad can happen.  But if you want consistency across applications, you should define times in a consistent way, i.e. in the stamp.

Ok, explanation quite satisfactory. Second wish:

When exporting to icalendar, would it be possible to make the property
LOCATION to respect the setting in org-use-property-inheritance? I
like to group seminars under one heading, so I could just set the
LOCATION property there, and still get it exported to the .ics file
for each of the sub-headings.

If I understand correctly, the place to change is in org-exp.el, lines
4336 and 4458: (org-entry-get nil "LOCATION") from nil to 'selective'
or something.

Perhaps the selective inheritance could be allowed for DEADLINE
and SCHEDULED, too? I could imagine using this, too.

Best,

Harri K

* Re: Inheritance of LOCATION when exporting ICal (Was: Re: Bug in org-export-icalendar)
@ 2008-11-14  7:02     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-14  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harri Kiiskinen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Harri,

On Nov 13, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Harri Kiiskinen wrote:

> From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
> Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug in org-export-icalendar
> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:34:20 +0100
>
>> yes, only times in time stamps will be used in iCalendar export.
>> Times in the headline
>> are too unpredictable.  The agenda uses them as a service because
>> nothing really bad can happen.  But if you want consistency across
>> applications, you should define times in a consistent way, i.e. in
>> the stamp.
>
> Ok, explanation quite satisfactory. Second wish:
>
> When exporting to icalendar, would it be possible to make the property
> LOCATION to respect the setting in org-use-property-inheritance? I
> like to group seminars under one heading, so I could just set the
> LOCATION property there, and still get it exported to the .ics file
> for each of the sub-headings.
>
> If I understand correctly, the place to change is in org-exp.el, lines
> 4336 and 4458: (org-entry-get nil "LOCATION") from nil to 'selective'
> or something.

almost correct,

   (org-entry-get nil "LOCATION" 'selective)

would be the right thing to do.  Why don't you try locally
and let us know how it works?  One problem is that if you have
large file with N entries, using property inheritance will
eventually make the time required for export scale as N^2,
because for each matching entry, Org will have to scan back
to top-level to find if it should inherit.  On could use a
different implementation to make sure that is scales as N, but
the current algorithm does not.

> Perhaps the selective inheritance could be allowed for DEADLINE
> and SCHEDULED, too? I could imagine using this, too.

Same problem as above, and I am no sure if it would break anything.
Maybe maybe not.

- Carsten