* higher level headline as category
@ 2009-05-08 11:06 Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-08 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

In my custom agenda: Is there a way to get the higher(by1level) *headline as
prefix*?

*Demonstration:*

test1.org:

* headline1
** TODO headline2
** TODO headline3

test2.org:

* headline4
** headline5
*** TODO headline 6
** TODO headline 7        :tag1:

agenda:

headline1    TODO headline2
headline1    TODO headline3
headline4    TODO headline7        :tag1:
headline5    TODO headline6

That would be a supercool feature for my use. :)

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo (spreading the Org virus)

* Re: higher level headline as category
@ 2009-05-08 12:40 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-08 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eraldo Helal <eraldo@eraldo.at> writes:

> In my custom agenda: Is there a way to get the higher(by1level)
> *headline as prefix*?

No, not that I know of.  But you can use the :CATEGORY: property.

> test1.org:
>
> * headline1
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CATEGORY: headline1
    :END:

> ** TODO headline2
> ** TODO headline3
>
> test2.org:

Well, here it's a bit inconvenient.

> * headline4
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CATEGORY: headline4
    :END:

> ** headline5
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CATEGORY: headline5
    :END:

> *** TODO headline 6
> ** TODO headline 7        :tag1:
>
> agenda:
>
> headline1    TODO headline2
> headline1    TODO headline3
> headline4    TODO headline7        :tag1:
> headline5    TODO headline6

I think that should give the desired results, but for deeper structures
always adding a property is really inconvenient.  Once I used properties
quite intensively, but after a while I switched to using tags and
categories only for distinguishing private from work related things (and
there the categories are the org file names).

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Re: higher level headline as category
@ 2009-05-09 12:23   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-05-09 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The *best solution* I can think of... would be to enable to aganda to "*show
parent headline as prefix*".

If this is not possible:

Is there already a *convenient* way to *enter the category* property?
On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 14:40, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :CATEGORY: headline1
>    :END:

Or do I have to type:
   :PROPERTIES:
   :CATEGORY: headline
   :END:
by hand every time?

I would like to be able to add the *category* with a
*keyboard-shortcut*instead of typing all it all out.
Any (alternative) suggestions?

Take care,
Eraldo

* Re: Re: higher level headline as category
@ 2009-05-09 12:29     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-09 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at> writes:

Hi Eraldo,

> I would like to be able to add the *category* with a
> *keyboard-shortcut*instead of typing all it all out.

See

,----[ (info "(org)Property syntax") ]
| `M-<TAB>'
|      After an initial colon in a line, complete property keys.  All
|      keys used in the current file will be offered as possible
|      completions.
|
| `C-c C-x p'
|      Set a property.  This prompts for a property name and a value.  If
|      necessary, the property drawer is created as well.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo