* [OT] document scanner with ADF
@ 2014-03-12  0:59 Samuel Wales
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-12  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

We had a great discussion about scanners and ADFs here a while back.
The Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500 seemed to be a favorite.  We also talked
about what resolutions to scan at.

What's the current status of document scanners for Linux?  How good
are the ADFs physically?

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: [OT] document scanner with ADF
@ 2014-03-12  8:09 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2014-03-12  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Tue, 11 Mar 2014 17:59:59 -0700
schrieb Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>:

> We had a great discussion about scanners and ADFs here a while back.
> The Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500 seemed to be a favorite.  We also talked
> about what resolutions to scan at.
>
> What's the current status of document scanners for Linux?  How good
> are the ADFs physically?

FWIW: As a single data point I can tell we have some Epson Workforce 3520
working around in the department and I´m very surprised by their quality.

(light use)

Detlef

@ 2014-03-14 20:09 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-03-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> We had a great discussion about scanners and ADFs here a while back.
> The Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500 seemed to be a favorite.  We also talked
> about what resolutions to scan at.

I own a ScanSnap 1500S and I scanned about 40.000 pages on OS X to
get my papers into PDFs (with OCR).

> What's the current status of document scanners for Linux?  How good
> are the ADFs physically?

I know somebody (Andreas) who is using those things with Linux.
AFAIR are there some drawbacks but no show-stoppers. Probably I can
get him to jump into this thread.

To me, the good scanner software (OS X or Windows) is an important
reason not to do scanning with my main system which is running
Debian.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: [OT] document scanner with ADF
@ 2014-03-17  9:06 ` Andreas Hirczy
From: Andreas Hirczy @ 2014-03-17  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

> We had a great discussion about scanners and ADFs here a while back.
> The Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500 seemed to be a favorite.

We have got Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M and FI-6130Z - both work near
perfect with Linux and SANE.

If you use SANE, it is necessary to set the driver to ADF first and set
the other parameters (eg. page size) later. This is different from the
epson driver for example - and not done by all frontends.

> We also talked about what resolutions to scan at.

I usually scan at 600 dpi and convert to 300 dpi afterwards.

> What's the current status of document scanners for Linux?  How good
> are the ADFs physically?

I also have an older Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner with ADF - the
driver support on Linux is ok, but mechanically the Fujitsu is much
faster and more robust. We also have a "Canon imageRunner ADVANCE 5235"
which works great as an ADF scanner, but is in a somewhat different
range :)

My script for a quick scan:
-------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# where to store scanned images
TEMPDIR=$(mktemp -d /tmp/scanadf.XXXXXXXXX)

SOURCE="ADF Front"  # possible options: ADF Front|ADF Back|ADF Duplex [ADF Front]
SCANMODE=Gray       # possible options: Lineart|Halftone|Gray|Color [Lineart]
RESOLUTION=600      # possible options: 50..600dpi
SOURCE="ADF Duplex"

TITLE="$(date -I)_$1"

echo "Scanner input source     : $SOURCE"
echo "Chosen title for document: $TITLE"

scanadf --verbose --source "$SOURCE" --mode $SCANMODE  --page-height=297 -l 0 -t 0 -x 210 -y 297 \
    --resolution $RESOLUTION --no-overwrite --output-file ${TEMPDIR}/image-%04d.pnm

for file in ${TEMPDIR}/image-*.pnm; do
    convert ${file} -resize 50% -depth 4 -normalize "${file%.pnm}.png"
#  -linear-stretch 2x2%
done

didjvu bundle --clean --lossy --output "$TITLE.djvu" $TEMPDIR/*.png
ocrodjvu --in-place --engine tesseract "$TITLE.djvu"
djview4 "$TITLE.djvu" &

rm -rf $TEMPDIR

Best regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Hirczy <ahi@itp.tugraz.at>                   http://itp.tugraz.at/~ahi/
Graz University of Technology                        phone: +43/316/873-   8190