* Appearance of agenda items generated from dates in properties
@ 2009-10-01  8:39 Andrew Lawson
From: Andrew Lawson @ 2009-10-01  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Sorry if this is in the manual but I couldn't find it refenrenced.

As I find myself using properties more and more often I've often found
that more than one property for an item will have a date associated with
it. These dates will of course appear as expected in the agenda view but
unfortunately with only the title of the item and not the property
name. That makes it difficult to know exactly why the item is in the
agenda without checking further. I'm sure there must be a way of adding
the property name to that title.

Example, id I were storing data about people:

*** James Smith
    :PROPERIES:
    :BIRTHDAY: <2009-04-04 Fri +1y>
    :WEDDINGANIV: <2008-03-24 Fri +1y>
    :END:

Will appear in the agenda on 2009-04-04 as simply 'James Smith'. Ideally
I'd like to see 'James Smith (:BIRTHDAY:)'.

* Re: Appearance of agenda items generated from dates in properties
@ 2009-10-01 11:56 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-10-01 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Gio 1/10/09, Andrew Lawson <adl@absentis.com> ha scritto:
> Example, id I were storing data about people:
>
> *** James Smith
>     :PROPERIES:
>     :BIRTHDAY: <2009-04-04 Fri +1y>
>     :WEDDINGANIV: <2008-03-24 Fri +1y>
>     :END:
>
> Will appear in the agenda on 2009-04-04 as simply 'James
> Smith'. Ideally
> I'd like to see 'James Smith (:BIRTHDAY:)'.

I think that PROPERTIES and agenda are two distinct things.

For agenda view you should use the the "diary" facility[1]

*** James Smith
     :PROPERTIES:
     :CATEGORY: Ann
     :END:
%%(diary-anniversary 04  04 2009) birthday
%%(diary-anniversary 03  24 2009) wedding Ann

[1] 10.3.1 The weekly/daily agenda  (in org-mode v. 6.30e)

cheers,
Giovanni