* org-babel: interactive terminal support
@ 2009-09-23  1:11 Benjamin Andresen
From: Benjamin Andresen @ 2009-09-23  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

after seeing org-babel I immediately thought of the eev project by
Eduardo Ochs (http://angg.twu.net/)

Basically I wanted to do what he does in this video:
http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/anim/channels.anim.html

So I wrote a small org-babel gnu screen interface.
Eev does the same with "expect" but is very line-centric. And GNU Screen
can slurp in whole files. (I guess one could support several backends if
this proves useful)

The translated org-babel syntax looks like this:

* Listen on port 1234
  #+begin_src screen :session receiver :results silent
    netcat -l -p 1234
  #+end_src

* Send things to port 1234
  #+begin_src screen :session sender :results silent
    {
     echo hi
     sleep 1
     echo bye
     sleep 1
    } | netcat -c localhost 1234
  #+end_src

I've put the code on github if anyone is interested in this:
http://github.com/bandresen/org-babel-screen

A few things are still hardcoded, like the use of /bin/zsh. If you guys
think this is a worthwhile addition to org-babel, let me know what the
right parameter would be.

HTH,
benny