* [ANN] It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's... org-icons.el, reloaded !
@ 2010-03-15 13:17 Nicolas Girard
From: Nicolas Girard @ 2010-03-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce a brand new, shiny release for org-icons.
A few minor limitations remain, but I think the code has matured
enough to be used on a daily basis.
See for yourself ! Grab it at [1] and see the following instructions
for installing.

I indend to win this year's Most Ridiculous Release Number Contest, so
I set the current one to 0.271182363. Wish me luck: I seem to have
some quite serious opponents... I dare you, Memoir ! [2].

[1] http://github.com/ngirard/org-icons
[2] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/memoir/

* Installation

1. Apply org-icons.patch on the latest org-mode code:
    cd path/to/org-mode
    patch -p0 < path/to/org-icons/lisp/org-icons.patch
    rm org.elc ; make ; sudo make install

2. Add org-icons/lisp to your load-path:
    (setq load-path (cons "/path/to/org-icons/lisp" load-path))

3. Restart emacs

* Usage

- You can turn on `org-icons-mode' on startup by setting the
  org-startup-with-icons-mode variable to true,

    (setq org-startup-with-icons-mode t)

- You can also enable or disable icon display on a per-buffer level, using

    M-x org-icons-mode

- A key sequence can easily be used for this, like =C-c i= in this example:

    (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
      (lambda () (local-set-key "\C-ci" 'org-icons-mode)))

* Configuration

Conceivably the Org Mode community will agree on how Org icons theme
should be defined, if they make sense. Org Mode's philosophy is to be
as generic as possible and it's not clear to me how to capture what
most people need while keeping in balance with flexibility.

Meanwhile, the set of icons that can be used, `org-icons-set', is a
little bit hardwired into the code.

More flexible are the functions governing which icon to draw, namely
`org-todo-state-icon-at', `org-priority-icon-at', `org-drawer-icon-at'
and `org-special-keyword-icon-at'. Looking at the source code should
be enough for you to redefine these functions to suit your needs. For
instance, you'll most probably want to write in your configuration

  (defun org-todo-state-icon-at (state priority tags)
    (cond
    )
  )

and instead of the dots, a set of (condition icon-name) like

  ((member "SOMEDAY"  tags ) "state-someday")

or more complex, like

  ((equal  "NEXT"     state)
     (if (>= priority 2000) "state-next-important" "state-next"))

* Bugs and limitations

- Documentation is missing.
- No themes yet: see the introduction.
- When cycling from a TODO keyword to no keyword using S-right, the
  latest icon remains displayed.
- When loading an org buffer, font-lock-fontify-buffer is called twice
  if org-startup-with-icons-mode is set to t.
- The standard icon set isn't visually consistent enough

* Please consider...

- the code is still beta;
- any suggestion / contribution warmly welcome.

* Re: [ANN] It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's... org-icons.el, reloaded !
@ 2010-03-15 14:09 ` Alexander Poslavsky
From: Alexander Poslavsky @ 2010-03-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Nicolas Girard wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce a brand new, shiny release for org-icons.
> A few minor limitations remain, but I think the code has matured
> enough to be used on a daily basis.

Tried it today on the latest git-version, works well. This seems a very good idea, is this going to be in mainline org?

Note: maybe you can add:

#+STARTUP: hidestars

to test_icons.org, it just looks better.

thanks for your hard work,

alex

* Re: [ANN] It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's... org-icons.el, reloaded !
@ 2010-03-15 15:06   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-03-15 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Girard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alexander Poslavsky <alexander.poslavsky@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Nicolas Girard wrote:
>
>> I'm pleased to announce a brand new, shiny release for org-icons.
>> A few minor limitations remain, but I think the code has matured
>> enough to be used on a daily basis.
>
> Tried it today on the latest git-version, works well. This seems a very good idea, is this going to be in mainline org?

Hi Nicolas,

My first impression is that this is really nice!

There was another thread recently about the plain theme on the org web
page, and I do agree with the idea of attempting to appeal to more
mainstream tastes in external appearance. The logic, and lisp
technology, underlying org-mode is so sophisticated and represents so
much good work, that it would be a real shame if potential users were
put off trying org-mode merely because it doesn't meet their
expectations of what a computer application looks like. With the support
for image display in modern emacs, it appears that that might be
unnecessary, as you are demonstrating.

If you have time, I'd be excited to hear your suggestions for how
begin_XXX end_XXX blocks should be displayed in your framework. (One
obvious thought is that for begin_src <LANG>, it would be nice to have a
different icon for each language.)

Thanks for this,

Dan