* Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-18 21:26 Andrea Crotti
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-12-18 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I wanted finally to fix the following problem, I would like to use
meta-left/right to switch frame, and that's one of the keys that orgmode
uses.

I added the two values here to the org-disputed-keys

[(meta left)]
            Value: [(meta control left)]
[(meta right)]
            Value: [(meta control right)]

but still it doesn't work, in orgmode meta-left is always bound to the
org action, not to other-frame as it is in other modes...

Any suggestions?

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-19 19:20 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-19 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I wanted finally to fix the following problem, I would like to use
> meta-left/right to switch frame, and that's one of the keys that orgmode
> uses.
>
> I added the two values here to the org-disputed-keys
>
> [(meta left)]
>             Value: [(meta control left)]
> [(meta right)]
>             Value: [(meta control right)]
>
> but still it doesn't work, in orgmode meta-left is always bound to the
> org action, not to other-frame as it is in other modes...

Isn't switching to frame a function of your window manager and not
emacs?  That is, shouldn't this be a case of telling your window manage,
whatever that may be, to switch frames when these keys are pressed?

Or am I missing something fundamental here?
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.25.geb0d)

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-20  5:49   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-12-20  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sunday 19 December 2010 11:20 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Andrea Crotti<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> I wanted finally to fix the following problem, I would like to use
>> meta-left/right to switch frame, and that's one of the keys that orgmode
>> uses.
>>
>> I added the two values here to the org-disputed-keys
>>
>> [(meta left)]
>>              Value: [(meta control left)]
>> [(meta right)]
>>              Value: [(meta control right)]
>>
>> but still it doesn't work, in orgmode meta-left is always bound to the
>> org action, not to other-frame as it is in other modes...
>
> Isn't switching to frame a function of your window manager and not
> emacs?  That is, shouldn't this be a case of telling your window manage,
> whatever that may be, to switch frames when these keys are pressed?
>
> Or am I missing something fundamental here?

I think Andrea meant to say switching window. But none the less, Emacs
has the ability to switch frames, `C-x 5 o' or even your regular
`switch-buffer'. But I think it does it by talking to the window manager.

This can be very useful when you have multiple emacs frames for one
instance of emacs on different desktops. If you have configured your
window manager appropriately simply switching to a buffer shown on
another desktop can switch you to that desktop and raise the Emacs frame
with the buffer. :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-20  8:20 ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-12-20  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Dear Andrea,

I have this in my .emacs file

(defun my-org-mode-stuff ()
  (define-key org-mode-map [(meta tab)] 'previous-user-buffer)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<right>") 'forward-char-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<left>") 'backward-char-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<up>") 'previous-line-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<down>") 'next-line-mark))

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'my-org-mode-stuff)

this was a suggestion from the list (thanks to PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com>) and works for me, I realize that this was not exactly what you were asking for but thought it might help.

Warm regards,
 Stefan

On 18.12.2010, at 22:26, Andrea Crotti wrote:

> I wanted finally to fix the following problem, I would like to use
> meta-left/right to switch frame, and that's one of the keys that orgmode
> uses.
>
> I added the two values here to the org-disputed-keys

> [(meta left)]
>            Value: [(meta control left)]
> [(meta right)]
>            Value: [(meta control right)]
>
> but still it doesn't work, in orgmode meta-left is always bound to the
> org action, not to other-frame as it is in other modes...
>
> Any suggestions?

Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung
Gleuelerstr. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany
Tel.: +49-221-4726-213  FAX +49-221-4726-298
Tel.: +49-221-478-5713  Mobile: 0160-93874279
Email: vollmar@nf.mpg.de   http://www.nf.mpg.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-20 13:08   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-12-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Isn't switching to frame a function of your window manager and not
> emacs?  That is, shouldn't this be a case of telling your window manage,
> whatever that may be, to switch frames when these keys are pressed?
>
> Or am I missing something fundamental here?

Well yes and no, I could many programs running, and I want a key that
lets me switch only between the emacs frames, without showing me the
other windows.

Having that working it would be even better that the operating system
only show me one instance of emacs frames, not all of them.

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-20 13:09     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-12-20 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> I think Andrea meant to say switching window. But none the less, Emacs
> has the ability to switch frames, `C-x 5 o' or even your regular
> switch-buffer'. But I think it does it by talking to the window
> manager.
>
> This can be very useful when you have multiple emacs frames for one
> instance of emacs on different desktops. If you have configured your
> window manager appropriately simply switching to a buffer shown on
> another desktop can switch you to that desktop and raise the Emacs
> frame with the buffer. :)

I meant switching frames...
I normally would keep the frames in the same desktop, maybe different
instances of emacs on different desktops (I have one for gnus and one
for everything else).

An example of a window manager configuration to do this anyway?

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-20 13:11   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-12-20 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de> writes:

> Dear Andrea,
>
> I have this in my .emacs file
>
> (defun my-org-mode-stuff ()
>   (define-key org-mode-map [(meta tab)] 'previous-user-buffer)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<right>") 'forward-char-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<left>") 'backward-char-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<up>") 'previous-line-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<down>") 'next-line-mark))
>
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'my-org-mode-stuff)
>
> this was a suggestion from the list (thanks to PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com>) and works for me, I realize that this was not exactly what you were asking for but thought it might help.

I'm quite sure that also would work for me, that's the normal way to
proceed.
But since org-mode has this disputed-keys feature which is quite a good
idea I wanted to use it if possible...

Looks like that the key meta-left which would be bound to "other-frame"
is not seen as used by org-mode, that's my explanation...

* Re: Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-20 14:23       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-12-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andrea,

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This can be very useful when you have multiple emacs frames for one
>> instance of emacs on different desktops. If you have configured your
>> window manager appropriately simply switching to a buffer shown on
>> another desktop can switch you to that desktop and raise the Emacs
>> frame with the buffer. :)
>
> I normally would keep the frames in the same desktop, maybe different
> instances of emacs on different desktops (I have one for gnus and one
> for everything else).
>
> An example of a window manager configuration to do this anyway?

I use XFCE. In XFCE you can check the radio button for the option,
"Window Manager Tweaks --> Focus --> Honor standard ICCCM focus hint
--> Switch to window's workspace".

:)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-20 14:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-12-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 18, 2010, at 10:26 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

> I wanted finally to fix the following problem, I would like to use
> meta-left/right to switch frame, and that's one of the keys that
> orgmode
> uses.
>
> I added the two values here to the org-disputed-keys

> [(meta left)]
>            Value: [(meta control left)]
> [(meta right)]
>            Value: [(meta control right)]
>
> but still it doesn't work, in orgmode meta-left is always bound to the
> org action, not to other-frame as it is in other modes...
>
> Any suggestions?

Did you do

(setq org-replace-disputed-keys t)

- Carsten

* Re: Disputed keys
@ 2010-12-21 16:56     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-12-21 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I use the function other-frame for that, which is bound to `C-x 5 o' as
Suvayu mentioned. To make this easier (since I use it frequently) I just
bind "other-frame" to "C-c o" with
(global-set-key "\C-co"    'other-frame)

This works very well for me.

--
Darlan

At Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:49:53 -0800,
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 19 December 2010 11:20 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> > Andrea Crotti<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>  writes:
> >
> >> I wanted finally to fix the following problem, I would like to use
> >> meta-left/right to switch frame, and that's one of the keys that orgmode
> >> uses.
> >>
> >> I added the two values here to the org-disputed-keys
> >>
> >> [(meta left)]
> >>              Value: [(meta control left)]
> >> [(meta right)]
> >>              Value: [(meta control right)]
> >>
> >> but still it doesn't work, in orgmode meta-left is always bound to the
> >> org action, not to other-frame as it is in other modes...
> >
> > Isn't switching to frame a function of your window manager and not
> > emacs?  That is, shouldn't this be a case of telling your window manage,
> > whatever that may be, to switch frames when these keys are pressed?
> >
> > Or am I missing something fundamental here?
>
> I think Andrea meant to say switching window. But none the less, Emacs
> has the ability to switch frames, `C-x 5 o' or even your regular
> `switch-buffer'. But I think it does it by talking to the window manager.
>
> This can be very useful when you have multiple emacs frames for one
> instance of emacs on different desktops. If you have configured your
> window manager appropriately simply switching to a buffer shown on
> another desktop can switch you to that desktop and raise the Emacs frame
> with the buffer. :)
>
> --
> Suvayu

* Re: Disputed keys