* "Fortran" missing "in List of supported code block languages"?
@ 2015-05-14  6:19 Alain.Cochard
From: Alain.Cochard @ 2015-05-14  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Alain Cochard

I was starting investigating "Working with source code". I tried with
the bloc:

   #+BEGIN_SRC fortran
   #+END_SRC

The 'fortran' keyword is indeed recognized in the edit buffer, and, as
far as I can see, everything works quite well.

But I later realized that 'Fortran' is not mentioned in the list of
supported languages, section 14.7 of the org info manual [File: org,
Node: Languages].  Perhaps because it is still in development?  But if
I had checked this list before, I wouldn't even have tried it, waiting
for better times...  Is there an independent way of checking which
languages are supported?

Thanks

--

(As an aside note, I fail to understand why the 'Emacs Calc' language,
with identifier 'calc', appears before 'C' in the list.  Perhaps

Package: Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/)

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr

* Re: "Fortran" missing "in List of supported code block languages"?
@ 2015-05-14 10:56 John Kitchin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-05-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alain.cochard@unistra.fr, emacs-orgmode@gnu org; +Cc: Alain Cochard

Fortran is supported in the sense that you can edit a block in Fortran mode. But you cannot execute a Fortran block directly afaik. You have to tangle it, compile it and then run the executable.

For example like this:

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/02/04/Literate-programming-example-with-Fortran-and-org-mode/

@ 2015-05-14 11:05 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-05-14 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <johnrkitchin@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there an independent way of checking which languages are supported?

On a file-system level you could do something like:

   ls /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org*/ob* | grep -i fortran
   => /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-fortran.el

In Emacs you could to something like:

   M-x find-library ob- [TAB].

There's also the apropos commands.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!

* Re: "Fortran" missing in "List of supported code block languages"?
@ 2015-05-14 12:37 ` Alain.Cochard
From: Alain.Cochard @ 2015-05-14 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Alain Cochard

John Kitchin writes:

 > Fortran is supported in the sense that you can edit a block in
 > Fortran mode. But you cannot execute a Fortran block directly
 > afaik. You have to tangle it, compile it and then run the
 > executable.

Thanks for the precision.  I guess it would not hurt to mention this
kind of details in the doc, to some extent at least.

 > For example like this:
 >
 > http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/02/04/Literate-programming-example-with-Fortran-and-org-mode/

Very helpful.  Seems to me that having such examples (at least the
simple one) in the doc would be extremely helpful to beginners.

From: Alain.Cochard @ 2015-05-14 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Alain Cochard

Rasmus writes:

 > > Is there an independent way of checking which languages are supported?
 >
 > On a file-system level you could do something like:
 >
 >	ls /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org*/ob* | grep -i fortran
 >	=> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/ob-fortran.el
 >
 > In Emacs you could to something like:
 >
 >	M-x find-library ob- [TAB].
 >
 > There's also the apropos commands.
 >
 > Hope it helps,

It does, thanks.

* Re: "Fortran" missing in "List of supported code block languages"?
@ 2015-05-14 14:01   ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2015-05-14 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:37 AM,  <Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr> wrote:
> John Kitchin writes:
>
>  > Fortran is supported in the sense that you can edit a block in
>  > Fortran mode. But you cannot execute a Fortran block directly
>  > afaik. You have to tangle it, compile it and then run the
>  > executable.

That is not true, you can in fact execute fortran blocks directly.
ob-fortran.el has been part of org since 2011. IMO it is a
documentation bug that it is not listed as a supported language.

Best,
Ista

@ 2015-05-14 14:19 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-14 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Cochard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:

> The 'fortran' keyword is indeed recognized in the edit buffer, and, as
> far as I can see, everything works quite well.
>
> But I later realized that 'Fortran' is not mentioned in the list of
> supported languages, section 14.7 of the org info manual [File: org,
> Node: Languages].

Fixed. Thank you.

Perhaps because it is still in development?  But if

> (As an aside note, I fail to understand why the 'Emacs Calc' language,
> with identifier 'calc', appears before 'C' in the list.

Fixed too.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: "Fortran" missing in "List of supported code block languages"?
@ 2015-05-14 17:21     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-05-14 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:37 AM,  <Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr> wrote:
>> John Kitchin writes:
>>
>>  > Fortran is supported in the sense that you can edit a block in
>>  > Fortran mode. But you cannot execute a Fortran block directly
>>  > afaik. You have to tangle it, compile it and then run the
>>  > executable.
>
> That is not true, you can in fact execute fortran blocks directly.
> ob-fortran.el has been part of org since 2011. IMO it is a
> documentation bug that it is not listed as a supported language.
>
> Best,
> Ista
>

>> Thanks for the precision.  I guess it would not hurt to mention this
>> kind of details in the doc, to some extent at least.
>>
>>  > For example like this:
>>  >
>>  > http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/02/04/Literate-programming-example-with-Fortran-and-org-mode/
>>
>> Very helpful.  Seems to me that having such examples (at least the
>> simple one) in the doc would be extremely helpful to beginners.

Fortran is one of several under-documented babel languages (see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html). There is a
template for users willing to start a first draft of the fortran or
other language documentation (see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#develop).

All the best,
Tom