* Shifting only past timestamps
@ 2015-07-24 19:33 Edward Guyatt
From: Edward Guyatt @ 2015-07-24 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I like to be reminded to check my post on Mondays and Thursdays, every week.
When I've done it on Monday, I mark it 'DONE' so that I can stop org-mode
reminding me until Thursday. Here's how I used to achieve this:

*** URGENT [#A] Check post                                      :important:
DEADLINE: <2015-07-27 Mon +1w -0d>
DEADLINE: <2015-07-30 Thu +1w -0d>

In org-mode 8.2.10, if I mark 'Check post' as 'DONE', both timestamps will be
moved forward one week. This is no good, as I need to be reminded to check my
post on Thursday.

I think I got the desired behaviour in the last version of org-mode I used,
which I think was this 7.8.11 from this package:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/org-mode

How can I make org-mode shift only the timestamps from the past?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

* Re: Shifting only past timestamps
@ 2015-07-25 17:04 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2015-07-25 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Edward,

Edward Guyatt <edwardguyatt@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> I like to be reminded to check my post on Mondays and Thursdays, every
> week. When I've done it on Monday, I mark it 'DONE' so that I can stop
> org-mode reminding me until Thursday. Here's how I used to achieve
> this:
>
> *** URGENT [#A] Check post                                      :important:
> DEADLINE: <2015-07-27 Mon +1w -0d>
> DEADLINE: <2015-07-30 Thu +1w -0d>

This is, I believe, technically invalid by the current standards of Org
syntax.  See http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html under "Clock,
Diary Sexp, and Planning"; planning elements have to be on the same
line, and I am pretty sure you can't have two deadlines.  I am surprised
Org operates on the second one at all.

I solve this problem by just having two different headlines, each with
their own deadline, like:

*** URGENT [#A] Check post                                      :important:
DEADLINE: <2015-07-27 Mon +1w -0d>

*** URGENT [#A] Check post                                      :important:
DEADLINE: <2015-07-30 Thu +1w -0d>

I know it may not seem terribly elegant, but it's simple, and it's the
only way I can think of to have the deadlines recur on fixed days of the
week.  (If that's not important to you, you could use habits instead of
two headlines.)

Best,
Richard