* Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-13 23:23 Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Is there any issues with adding a version header to org.el in maint and
master?  Maybe 8.4 or 8.4-dev or 8.4-pre for master...

See:

        http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/188780

Rasmus

--
Sådan en god dansk lagereddike kan man slet ikke bruge mere

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-13 23:30 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-13 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Is there any issues with adding a version header to org.el in maint and
> master?

I don't think so. It may require to update README_maintainer
accordingly.

> Maybe 8.4 or 8.4-dev or 8.4-pre for master...

IMO, "8.4" is fine.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-14  0:10   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-14  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Is there any issues with adding a version header to org.el in maint and
>> master?
>
> I don't think so. It may require to update README_maintainer
> accordingly.

Done.

>> Maybe 8.4 or 8.4-dev or 8.4-pre for master...
>
> IMO, "8.4" is fine.

Since (version< "8.4-git" "8.4") => t, I think we can have the -git suffix
before the first release.  Of course, that raises the question of whether
it the version between, say, 8.3.1 and 8.3.2 should really be 8.3.2-git...
I don't feel strongly about this so feel free to change it.

I added a Package-Requires header as well, though I'm not sure if it's
entirely accurate.

Rasmus

--
Vote for proprietary math!

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-14  4:28 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-14  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus writes:
> Is there any issues with adding a version header to org.el in maint and
> master?  Maybe 8.4 or 8.4-dev or 8.4-pre for master...

Yes, we don't want to have to commit this nonsense when we have a proper
VCS.  Now, instead of simply tagging a release you're back to having to
remember that you have to jump through some burning hoops first in a
particular oder, then commit it and then maybe you can tag the release.

> See:
>
>         http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/188780

Yes, nice one.  I can think of some "latent" problems with how Emacs
handles versions, too.  Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-14  9:26   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-14  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Yes, we don't want to have to commit this nonsense when we have a proper
> VCS.  Now, instead of simply tagging a release you're back to having to
> remember that you have to jump through some burning hoops first in a
> particular oder, then commit it and then maybe you can tag the release.

I don't really see the issue...  Can we add a proper Version headers in
the make process for ELPA packages.

> I can think of some "latent" problems with how Emacs handles versions,
> too.

That seems orthogonal to the issue at hand.

Rasmus

--
I almost cut my hair, it happened just the other day

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-14 18:34     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus writes:
> I don't really see the issue...  Can we add a proper Version headers in
> the make process for ELPA packages.

We don't generate org.el; while it would not be impossible to do, I
don't really see why we should just to drop some comment in there.
Besides, it would be perfectly possible to just install the .elc files
(not with package manager, but some Linux distributions actually do
this) and then where do you look for the version comments again?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-18 17:52     ` Achim Gratz
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus writes:
>>> Is there any issues with adding a version header to org.el in maint and
>>> master?
>>
>> I don't think so. It may require to update README_maintainer
>> accordingly.
>
> Done.

Please revert that change.  It's messing with the version numbers on
ELPA since (as I suspected) the idea of using the version from the
header comments in the (main) package file is half-baked.

Since it doesn't appear that there'll be a proper build environment for
ELPA packages anytime soon, the only way out is to generate org.el.  We
could do it just for ELPA, although I suggest we go ahead and do it
across the board.  We can get rid of org-version on the way and put all
the headers someone wants there as well.  From the new, generated org.el
we can then require whatever the contents of org.el moves to.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-18 22:42       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2015-08-18 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Since it doesn't appear that there'll be a proper build environment for
> ELPA packages anytime soon, the only way out is to generate org.el.  We
> could do it just for ELPA, although I suggest we go ahead and do it
> across the board.  We can get rid of org-version on the way and put all
> the headers someone wants there as well.  From the new, generated org.el
> we can then require whatever the contents of org.el moves to.

So there would be two org.el, one bare, non-generated version, with no
Version: header, and another one, generated, with all relevant info?

Am I undestanding well?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-19  4:58         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-19  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> So there would be two org.el, one bare, non-generated version, with no
> Version: header, and another one, generated, with all relevant info?

Of course the non-generated version, being in the same directory, would
need to have a different name.  But otherwise, yes.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-19 20:11       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-19 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

>>> I don't think so. It may require to update README_maintainer
>>> accordingly.
>>
>> Done.
>
> Please revert that change.  It's messing with the version numbers on
> ELPA since (as I suspected) the idea of using the version from the
> header comments in the (main) package file is half-baked.

Feel free to do so.

> Since it doesn't appear that there'll be a proper build environment for
> ELPA packages anytime soon, the only way out is to generate org.el.  We
> could do it just for ELPA, although I suggest we go ahead and do it
> across the board.  We can get rid of org-version on the way and put all
> the headers someone wants there as well.  From the new, generated org.el
> we can then require whatever the contents of org.el moves to.

If the ELPA buildbot has sed wouldn't it just be easier to change

   Version: VER

   Version: VER-HASH

Where HASH is whatever it is that needs to be added.

Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-21 20:38       ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-21 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

>>> I don't think so. It may require to update README_maintainer
>>> accordingly.
>>
>> Done.
>
> Please revert that change.

Done.  I was very busy this week.

Rasmus

--
One thing that is clear: it's all down hill from here

* Re: Add version header to org.el
@ 2015-08-21 20:58         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-08-21 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus writes:
> Done.  I was very busy this week.

No worries.  Now, if Bastien would make up his mind if we generate an
org.el to facade for the file that will have the content (what will we
name this?)… However, this would have to be done on maint, so there's
the question of whether and when we do it there.

Regards,
Achim.