* Purpose of and documentation for the next branch (was: Re: Branch "next" garbled)
@ 2018-10-12  2:02 Adrian Bradd
From: Adrian Bradd @ 2018-10-12  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Marco Wahl, emacs-orgmode

Not 5 minutes later did I find this in another thread:

>> Also, I'd like to avoid making changes to "master" branch. It
>> should be
>> considered frozen while we're waiting for Org 9.2. Please
>> install next
>> new features (that one is OK, I guess) in "next" branch, and
>> rebase it
>> on top of "master".

So the next branch is a temporary replacement for master while
master is frozen awaiting a release?

> It might be worth the effort to document the role of the "next"
> branch somewhere.

Perhaps on the worg developer page?

Adrian Bradd <adrian.bradd@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
>> To prevent further complications with this branch, I suggest to
>> treat is
>> like master and master like maint. I.e., every commit done in
>> master is
>> duplicated into next so that final merge is easier.
>
> Sorry if this is obvious, but what is the next branch?
>
> This is the first I have heard of it (not that my org-fu is all
> that comprehensive). I took a look around but I couldn't find
> any
> details about it in the mail archives. Granted I wasn't
> expecting
> much from a search that included the phrase "next branch". It
> isn't mentioned on worg in the developers section either
> (https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/index.html).
>
> Cheers,

Cheers,

--
Adrian Bradd

* Re: Purpose of and documentation for the next branch
@ 2018-10-12  9:24 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-10-12  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bradd; +Cc: Marco Wahl, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Adrian Bradd <adrian.bradd@gmail.com> writes:

> So the next branch is a temporary replacement for master while master
> is frozen awaiting a release?

Indeed.

>> It might be worth the effort to document the role of the "next"
>> branch somewhere.
>
> Perhaps on the worg developer page?

It's really a temporary thing because I didn't want to push more changes
into master. It will go away as soon as Org 9.2 is out, which shouldn't
be too long now. I don't think we need a documentation for that.

--
Nicolas Goaziou