emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* a couple of items
@ 2020-06-03 21:06 Mario Frasca
  2020-06-04 11:53 ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Mario Frasca @ 2020-06-03 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

consider this table, partially from the Wikipedia:

#+PLOT: with:histogram ind:1
| Region         |   Area | Production |Productivity |
|                |  (Mha) |  (Mtonnes) |  (tonnes/ha) |
|----------------+--------+------------+--------------|
| Western Europe |  2.490 |      5.730 |    2.3012048 |
| North America  |  2.960 |      5.756 |    1.9445946 |
| South America  |  0.102 |      0.196 |    1.9215686 |
| Middle East    |  4.462 |      6.950 |    1.5575975 |
| North Africa   |  3.290 |      3.214 |    0.9768997 |
| Others         |  3.756 |      3.540 |    0.9424920 |
|----------------+--------+------------+--------------|
| World          | 17.060 |     25.360 |    1.4865181 |
#+TBLFM: $4=$3/$2

here I have a couple things which I would like to do straight from 
org-plot, and don't work.

1) keep the header on two lines.

2) only plot the middle section, that's excluding the "world" summary.

3) manually indicate the desired colour for each bar.

4) plot one of the columns as points, not as bars.

something unrelated, but still about org-plot:

*) it's very practical that you can split #+PLOT lines, and it would be 
more useful if you could mark any of them as non active, "comment out", 
but so that this doesn't break the search for options.  something like 
#--+PLOT, whatever.  I would use it for alternative settings and it 
would spare me shuffling lines around.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: a couple of items
  2020-06-03 21:06 a couple of items Mario Frasca
@ 2020-06-04 11:53 ` Eric S Fraga
  2020-06-04 21:29   ` Mario Frasca
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-04 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Frasca; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  3 Jun 2020 at 16:06, Mario Frasca wrote:
> consider this table, partially from the Wikipedia:

If you are willing to invoke gnuplot directly, using a src block, the
following is a start towards what you might want.  Proper nice looking
colours etc. left as an exercise for the reader... ;-)

#+begin_src org
  ,#+name: table
  | Region         |   Area | Production | Productivity |
  |                |  (Mha) |  (Mtonnes) |  (tonnes/ha) |
  |----------------+--------+------------+--------------|
  | Western Europe |  2.490 |      5.730 |    2.3012048 |
  | North America  |  2.960 |      5.756 |    1.9445946 |
  | South America  |  0.102 |      0.196 |    1.9215686 |
  | Middle East    |  4.462 |      6.950 |    1.5575975 |
  | North Africa   |  3.290 |      3.214 |    0.9768997 |
  | Others         |  3.756 |      3.540 |    0.9424920 |
  |----------------+--------+------------+--------------|
  | World          | 17.060 |     25.360 |    1.4865181 |
  ,#+TBLFM: $4=$3/$2

  ,#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=table[3:8,] :file plot.pdf
    reset
    set term pdfcairo color
    set xtics rotate 90
    set style fill solid border lt 1
    plot data using 2:xticlabels(1) with histogram linecolor "blue" title 'Area', \
         '' using 3 with histogram lt 1 linecolor "red" title 'Production', \
         '' using 4 with points pt 5 linecolor black title 'Productivity'
  ,#+end_src
#+end_src

-- 
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-640-g9bc0cc


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: a couple of items
  2020-06-04 11:53 ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2020-06-04 21:29   ` Mario Frasca
  2020-06-05 11:38     ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Mario Frasca @ 2020-06-04 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi.  thank you.  seeing hand written code in the target language is 
always useful, when writing a translator.  :+1:  :-)

On 04/06/2020 06:53, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Wednesday,  3 Jun 2020 at 16:06, Mario Frasca wrote:
>> consider this table, partially from the Wikipedia:
> If you are willing to invoke gnuplot directly, using a src block, the
> following is a start towards what you might want.  Proper nice looking
> colours etc. left as an exercise for the reader... ;-)
>
> #+begin_src org
>    ,#+name: table
>    | Region         |   Area | Production | Productivity |
>    |                |  (Mha) |  (Mtonnes) |  (tonnes/ha) |
>    |----------------+--------+------------+--------------|
>    | Western Europe |  2.490 |      5.730 |    2.3012048 |
>    | North America  |  2.960 |      5.756 |    1.9445946 |
>    | South America  |  0.102 |      0.196 |    1.9215686 |
>    | Middle East    |  4.462 |      6.950 |    1.5575975 |
>    | North Africa   |  3.290 |      3.214 |    0.9768997 |
>    | Others         |  3.756 |      3.540 |    0.9424920 |
>    |----------------+--------+------------+--------------|
>    | World          | 17.060 |     25.360 |    1.4865181 |
>    ,#+TBLFM: $4=$3/$2
>
>    ,#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=table[3:8,] :file plot.pdf
>      reset
>      set term pdfcairo color
>      set xtics rotate 90
>      set style fill solid border lt 1
>      plot data using 2:xticlabels(1) with histogram linecolor "blue" title 'Area', \
>           '' using 3 with histogram lt 1 linecolor "red" title 'Production', \
>           '' using 4 with points pt 5 linecolor black title 'Productivity'
>    ,#+end_src
> #+end_src
>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: a couple of items
  2020-06-04 21:29   ` Mario Frasca
@ 2020-06-05 11:38     ` Eric S Fraga
  2020-06-05 12:09       ` TEC
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-05 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Frasca; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday,  4 Jun 2020 at 16:29, Mario Frasca wrote:
> hi.  thank you.  seeing hand written code in the target language is
> always useful, when writing a translator.  :+1:  :-)

Sometimes, or often, a translator is too constraining.  I find it
easier/faster to write my own gnuplot code directly as it gives me the
fine control I need for publication quality figures.

The great thing about gnuplot is that *everything* can be tweaked.  The
bad thing about gnuplot is that everything *can* be tweaked. ;-) Sort of
like Emacs actually.
          
-- 
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-640-g9bc0cc


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: a couple of items
  2020-06-05 11:38     ` Eric S Fraga
@ 2020-06-05 12:09       ` TEC
  2020-06-05 12:24         ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: TEC @ 2020-06-05 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Mario Frasca


Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
> Sometimes, or often, a translator is too constraining.  I find 
> it
> easier/faster to write my own gnuplot code directly as it gives 
> me the
> fine control I need for publication quality figures.
>
> The great thing about gnuplot is that *everything* can be 
> tweaked.  The
> bad thing about gnuplot is that everything *can* be tweaked. ;-) 
> Sort of
> like Emacs actually.

What I like about org-plot is that it basically allows for use of 
big
templates :) you'll see more on this in my upcoming PR ;-)

Timothy.

p.s. See https://tecosaur.github.io/emacs-config/config.html#org 
for a
preview (radar plot)


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: a couple of items
  2020-06-05 12:09       ` TEC
@ 2020-06-05 12:24         ` Eric S Fraga
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-05 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Mario Frasca

On Friday,  5 Jun 2020 at 20:09, TEC wrote:
> What I like about org-plot is that it basically allows for use of big
> templates :) you'll see more on this in my upcoming PR ;-)

I look forward to it! 

-- 
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-640-g9bc0cc


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-06-05 12:24 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-06-03 21:06 a couple of items Mario Frasca
2020-06-04 11:53 ` Eric S Fraga
2020-06-04 21:29   ` Mario Frasca
2020-06-05 11:38     ` Eric S Fraga
2020-06-05 12:09       ` TEC
2020-06-05 12:24         ` Eric S Fraga

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).