* Dealing with wide labels in description environment
@ 2021-01-22  9:20 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2021-01-22  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am exporting to PDF via LaTeX and have the following

 - short label :: this looks fine
 - very annoying overly long label :: this doesn't

on export, the long label protrudes into the definitions column.

I have tried tweaking options such as labelindent and labelwidth in a
somewhat haphazard manner with, say,

  #+attr_latex: :options [labelindent=0pt, labelwidth=10ex]

but most of my attempts seem to have the main effect of just shifting
the whole list to the right without right-justifying the labels.

Does anyone know how to do this properly?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: Dealing with wide labels in description environment
@ 2021-01-22 11:20 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-01-22 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: orgmode

Hello,

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> I have tried tweaking options such as labelindent and labelwidth in a
> somewhat haphazard manner with, say,
>
>   #+attr_latex: :options [labelindent=0pt, labelwidth=10ex]
>
> but most of my attempts seem to have the main effect of just shifting
> the whole list to the right without right-justifying the labels.

The question is more on the side of LaTeX, and the enumitem package
(which you must have loaded for those options. See:
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/enumitem). For the effect you are looking for
you can try this (for horizontal lengths, it is better to use 'em' than
'ex):

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}

#+attr_latex: :options [labelindent=0em,itemindent=0em,align=right,labelwidth=10em,labelsep=.5em,leftmargin=15.5em]
- short label :: this looks fine
- very annoying overly long label :: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing
  elit. Donec hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl,
  tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis
  dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Nulla posuere. Donec vitae dolor. Nullam
  tristique diam non turpis. Cras placerat accumsan nulla. Nullam rutrum. Nam vestibulum
  accumsan nisl.

Regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Dealing with wide labels in description environment
@ 2021-01-22 12:37   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2021-01-22 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Juan,

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> I have tried tweaking options such as labelindent and labelwidth in a
>> somewhat haphazard manner with, say,
>>
>>   #+attr_latex: :options [labelindent=0pt, labelwidth=10ex]
>>
>> but most of my attempts seem to have the main effect of just shifting
>> the whole list to the right without right-justifying the labels.
>
> The question is more on the side of LaTeX, and the enumitem package
> (which you must have loaded for those options. See:
> https://www.ctan.org/pkg/enumitem). For the effect you are looking for
> you can try this (for horizontal lengths, it is better to use 'em' than
> 'ex):

Yes, of course - using Org for a decade so or has helped me avoid and thus
forget about certain LaTeX details.

> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}
>
> #+attr_latex: :options
> [labelindent=0em,itemindent=0em,align=right,labelwidth=10em,labelsep=.5em,leftmargin=15.5em]
> - short label :: this looks fine
> - very annoying overly long label :: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing
>   elit. Donec hendrerit tempor tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl,
>   tincidunt et, mattis eget, convallis nec, purus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis
>   dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Nulla posuere. Donec vitae dolor. Nullam
>   tristique diam non turpis. Cras placerat accumsan nulla. Nullam rutrum. Nam vestibulum
>   accumsan nisl.

Thank, that's what I needed - 'leftmargin' seems to be the main thing
that was missing.

Gruß

Loris