* Unable to configure emacs 27.2 to use org 9.5
@ 2021-10-18 20:37 Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2021-10-18 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all!

This is really depressing. I'm using org since more than a decade.
In the early days using a git clone, since some years with package
from org-elpa, then melpa.

I have installed 9.5 with package-install in a clean emacs session,
it is shown as installed, too, but whatever I try, my org-version is
shown as 9.4.6, which is included in 27.2.
(I assume, and therefore citeproc unavailable)

The installation instructions here
https://orgmode.org/elpa.html
do not help me the slightest.

Same with
https://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation

I did exactly
---
Using Emacs packaging system

Recent Emacs distributions include a packaging system which lets you
install Elisp libraries. You can install Org from the “package menu”,
with M-x list-packages. See (emacs)Package Menu.
---
but that obviously is not enough.

Really, really frustrated. May be I should step away from emacs and only
use nano or some such.

What is the magic I am missing?

Any help appreciated
Detlef

* Re: Unable to configure emacs 27.2 to use org 9.5
@ 2021-10-18 22:28 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-10-18 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Detlef,

Detlef Steuer writes:

> I have installed 9.5 with package-install in a clean emacs session,
> it is shown as installed, too, but whatever I try, my org-version is
> shown as 9.4.6, which is included in 27.2.
> (I assume, and therefore citeproc unavailable)

Have you looked in your elpa directory if you see this path: .../elpa/org-9.5/?

Have you tried uninstalling Org and reinstalling it?

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

Juan Manuel Macías

https://juanmanuelmacias.com/

* Re: Unable to configure emacs 27.2 to use org 9.5
@ 2021-10-19  7:56 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-10-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Detlef Steuer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 18 Oct 2021 at 22:37, Detlef Steuer wrote:
> I have installed 9.5 with package-install in a clean emacs session,
> it is shown as installed, too, but whatever I try, my org-version is
> shown as 9.4.6, which is included in 27.2.

You might like to try configuring and initializing the package system in
~/.emacs.d/early-init.el
That file is loaded before your .emacs or init.el files.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.60, Org release_9.5-93-gd87250
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* [mostly solved] Re: Unable to configure emacs 27.2 to use org 9.5
@ 2021-10-19  8:32   ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2021-10-19  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Mon, 18 Oct 2021 22:28:42 +0000
schrieb Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net>:

> Hi Detlef,
>
> Detlef Steuer writes:
>
> > I have installed 9.5 with package-install in a clean emacs session,
> > it is shown as installed, too, but whatever I try, my org-version is
> > shown as 9.4.6, which is included in 27.2.
> > (I assume, and therefore citeproc unavailable)
>
> Have you looked in your elpa directory if you see this path:
> .../elpa/org-9.5/?

Yes, it is there.

I now tried on a second machine and everything worked as expected,
after I removed org-plus-contrib from my elpa directory there.
On machine number one there is no such directory. I will try to
re-initialize everything elpa there and see what will happen.

So there is hope and nano may remain a desperate threat :-)

Thank you!

Detlef

--
"Wozu leben wir, wenn nicht dazu, uns gegenseitig das Leben
 einfacher zu machen. (George Eliot)"

Dr. Detlef Steuer
Helmut-Schmidt-Universität
Fakultät WiSo