* Keeping org-id entries updated with buffer position changes
@ 2023-09-26 23:54 Sebastian Wålinder
From: Sebastian Wålinder @ 2023-09-26 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

I often use org-id to create persistent links to headings like this:

* Foo
:PROPERTIES:
:ID:       BAR
:END:

[[BAR][Link]]

However, after inserting a line above foo, following the link BAR will take me to the wrong line, because the org-id database hasn't been updated with the headline's new position.

Running `org-id-update-id-locations` fixes this issue, but takes forever to run because it goes through all my org files.

How would I keep these links updated when I make frequent edits? Is there a function that updates the IDs in a single file only? If so, I could advice the open link function to run it first and update all the positions quickly before following the link.

Thoughts?

Thanks!