* Re: Orgmode: exporter for taskjuggler
       [not found] <AANLkTikuBjHXg8HfuxAXm+_rTu6OJfRZJqU2tzGQG-FT@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-09-02 10:03 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-09-02 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Christian,
>
> I'm very interested in using your taskjuggler export from orgmode.
> Unfortunately, I'm on a Windoze box, and getting TJ2 to work is a big
> pain ...  However, TJ3 is fairly straightforward, since it's Ruby, so
> I'm wondering, do you have any plans of including support for TJ3 as
> well?  I know it's still in alpha, but just asking :)

I myself use tj2, so the exporter is tested for that. Initially I had
thought that the exporter was also working for tj3 since the differences
in the syntax are supposedly very minor. But I've had reports by users
that the exporter generates code that doesn't work with tj3.

I just installed tj3 and tested it with a generated tjp file. There are
a number of problems: you need to replace all occurrences of "purge
allocations" with "purge allocate". Also you seem to be required to mark
all milestones explicitly (with "milestone"). Thirdly you need to
change the report definitions.

- The issue with purge allocate needs to be changed in the exporter
  code. For now you will have to search and replace as mentioned above.

- The milestone issue can be dealt with by assigning the milestone
  property to an item. It would be nicer if this just worked if an item
  doesn't have an effort property.

- The problems with reports can be solved by changing the report
  definition (via customize)

I'll have to work with the taskjuggler list to see if and what we can do
about these issues, if we can somehow ease the migration.

Hope that helps
Christian

--
Christian Egli

* Re: Orgmode: exporter for taskjuggler
@ 2010-09-03 17:32   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbszh.ch> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Christian,
>>
>> I'm very interested in using your taskjuggler export from orgmode.
>> Unfortunately, I'm on a Windoze box, and getting TJ2 to work is a big
>> pain ...  However, TJ3 is fairly straightforward, since it's Ruby, so
>> I'm wondering, do you have any plans of including support for TJ3 as
>> well?  I know it's still in alpha, but just asking :)
>
> I myself use tj2, so the exporter is tested for that. Initially I had
> thought that the exporter was also working for tj3 since the differences
> in the syntax are supposedly very minor. But I've had reports by users
> that the exporter generates code that doesn't work with tj3.
>
> I just installed tj3 and tested it with a generated tjp file. There are
> a number of problems: you need to replace all occurrences of "purge
> allocations" with "purge allocate". Also you seem to be required to mark
> all milestones explicitly (with "milestone"). Thirdly you need to
> change the report definitions.
>
> - The issue with purge allocate needs to be changed in the exporter
>   code. For now you will have to search and replace as mentioned above.
>
> - The milestone issue can be dealt with by assigning the milestone
>   property to an item. It would be nicer if this just worked if an item
>   doesn't have an effort property.
>
> - The problems with reports can be solved by changing the report
>   definition (via customize)
>
> I'll have to work with the taskjuggler list to see if and what we can do
> about these issues, if we can somehow ease the migration.

Christian,

thanks for looking into this.

After a lot of googling, I actually managed to get TJ2 to run on my box,
but it's a pain ...  TJ3 would certainly make life easier.

I'll look into the issues you mentioned ...

Thanks and Cheers
Markus

* Re: Re: Orgmode: exporter for taskjuggler
@ 2010-09-05 17:17     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> After a lot of googling, I actually managed to get TJ2 to run on my box,
> but it's a pain ...  TJ3 would certainly make life easier.

Same here.

Looking forward support of tj3 in org-taskjuggler.el...

Thanks Christian!

--
 Bastien