* BUG: ELPA package
@ 2013-03-28 21:52 W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-03-28 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi,

When upgrading from one GNU ELPA package to the next (in my case, from
ELPA version org-20130318 to org-20130325), `load-path' is not refreshed
by installing the new package, which means that `org-reload' does not
work without manually fixing `load-path' and evaluating (load "org").  I
would expect the ELPA package to fix the load path automatically and
maybe even run `org-reload' immediately after compilation.

I was scared I might have to kill all my nice emacs-uptime because of
this :)

Org-mode version 7.9.4 (7.9.4-elpa @
/home/grml/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130325/)

GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of 2013-01-22
on biber, modified by Debian

Best,
Will

--
BOFH excuse #2:

solar flares

* Re: BUG: ELPA package
@ 2013-03-28 22:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-28 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W. Greenhouse; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Will,

wgreenhouse-sGOZH3hwPm2sTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org (W. Greenhouse)
writes:

> When upgrading from one GNU ELPA package to the next (in my case, from
> ELPA version org-20130318 to org-20130325), `load-path' is not refreshed
> by installing the new package, which means that `org-reload' does not
> work without manually fixing `load-path' and evaluating (load
> "org").

Yes -- this is known limitation of the package installation mechanism.

Here are the ELPA installation instructions in the manual:

  Recent Emacs distributions include a packaging system which
  lets you install Elisp libraries.  You can install Org with
  M-x package-install RET org.  You need to do this in a session
  where no .org file has been visited.

The last sentence is the one important here.

HTH,

--
 Bastien