* Generating indexes
@ 2014-07-03 21:25 John Tait
From: John Tait @ 2014-07-03 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Is is possible to produce an index using lines beginning with #+INDEX in
usual HTML or PDF export without setting up a publishing project?

Thanks, John

* Re: Generating indexes
@ 2014-07-04 13:48 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-04 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Tait <johngtait@gmail.com> writes:

> Is is possible to produce an index using lines beginning with #+INDEX
> in usual HTML or PDF export without setting up a publishing project?

It should be possible to use the machinery that publishing uses in the
HTML case, but I haven't tried.

For PDF, it is fairly easy: you have to add some stuff in the preamble
and then add a line to print the index - like this:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{makeidx}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \makeindex

* foo
#+INDEX: this
this

#+LATEX: \printindex

You have to make sure that your org-latex-pdf-process runs the
makeindex program. I use texi2dvi and it does that automatically.
I presume latexmk would also. But if you use the default of "three calls
to pdflatex", you will need to modify it. Do

C-h v org-latex-pdf-process RET

for more info.
--
Nick