* org-preview-latex-fragment, pstricks
@ 2014-08-14 17:14 Christian Straßer
From: Christian Straßer @ 2014-08-14 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I have a problem producing correct preview images when using pstricks.
Here's a minimal example to illustrate the problem.
I have an org-file "test.org" with the following content:

\begin{equation}
\varphi
\end{equation}
\begin{pspicture}
\psframebox{text in box}
test outside box
\rnode{a}{a} \rnode{b}{b}
\ncline{a}{b}
\end{pspicture}

Executing "org-preview-latex-fragment" is successful for both
environments (the equation and the pspicture). So no error message is
produced and no orgtex*.log files are in /tmp. The problem is though
that for the pspicture environment the psframebox is not produced.
"Test in a box" appears without a box.

In order to see whether the same problem appears for tex-files and
preview-latex I created a corresponding tex-file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pstricks}
\begin{document}
\begin{pspicture}
\psframebox{text in box}
test outside box
\end{pspicture}
\end{document}

Here everything is displayed as expected/desired.

Similar problems can be produced e.g. when drawing lines with the
\ncline command and using other pstricks-commands.

Here's the relevant settings from my .emacs:
(custom-set-variables
'(org-latex-create-formula-image-program (quote dvipng))
 '(org-latex-default-packages-alist (quote (("AUTO" "inputenc" t)
("T1" "fontenc" t) ("" "fixltx2e" nil) ("" "graphicx" t) (""
"longtable" nil) ("" "float" nil) ("" "wrapfig" nil) ("" "rotating"
nil) ("normalem" "ulem" t) ("" "amsmath" t) ("" "textcomp" t) (""
"marvosym" t) ("" "wasysym" t) ("" "amssymb" t) ("" "hyperref" nil)
"\\tolerance=1000" ("" "pstricks" t) ))))

I also tried to set the org-latex-create-formula-image-program to
imagemagick: the problem remains the same.
I also tried to remove the pstricks-entry from
org-latex-default-packages-alist and manually add it via
#+LATEX_HEADER
which did not change the result.

Finally, here's my org-mode version: 8.2.7b.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Christian

* Re: org-preview-latex-fragment, pstricks
@ 2014-08-14 19:01 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-08-14 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Straßer <christian.strasser@ugent.be> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a problem producing correct preview images when using pstricks.
> Here's a minimal example to illustrate the problem.
> I have an org-file "test.org" with the following content:
>
> \begin{equation}
> \varphi
> \end{equation}
> \begin{pspicture}
> \psframebox{text in box}
> test outside box
> \rnode{a}{a} \rnode{b}{b}
> \ncline{a}{b}
> \end{pspicture}

I had to get rid of the \rnode and \ncline calls - apparently I don't
have the packages where they are defined.

But once I did that, the preview succeeded and I get a box around
"text in box".

Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-177-gfe133a @
/home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)

> Executing "org-preview-latex-fragment" is successful for both
> environments (the equation and the pspicture). So no error message is
> produced and no orgtex*.log files are in /tmp. The problem is though
> that for the pspicture environment the psframebox is not produced.
> "Test in a box" appears without a box.
>
> In order to see whether the same problem appears for tex-files and
> preview-latex I created a corresponding tex-file:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{pstricks}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{pspicture}
> \psframebox{text in box}
> test outside box
> \end{pspicture}
> \end{document}
>
> Here everything is displayed as expected/desired.

Are there orgtex*.tex files in /tmp? If so, try processing one of those
from the command line and see what you get. If not, the trick I use is
to introduce a deliberate error (call undefined macro \foo) in the tex
code and then try the preview. That leaves a .tex file behind, which I
can edit to get rid of the error and then process by hand. It might be
interesting to compare that with what you have above.

> Similar problems can be produced e.g. when drawing lines with the
> \ncline command and using other pstricks-commands.
>
> Here's the relevant settings from my .emacs:
> (custom-set-variables
> '(org-latex-create-formula-image-program (quote dvipng))
>  '(org-latex-default-packages-alist (quote (("AUTO" "inputenc" t)
> ("T1" "fontenc" t) ("" "fixltx2e" nil) ("" "graphicx" t) (""
> "longtable" nil) ("" "float" nil) ("" "wrapfig" nil) ("" "rotating"
> nil) ("normalem" "ulem" t) ("" "amsmath" t) ("" "textcomp" t) (""
> "marvosym" t) ("" "wasysym" t) ("" "amssymb" t) ("" "hyperref" nil)
> "\\tolerance=1000" ("" "pstricks" t) ))))

I don't know whether this causes your problems (probably not),
but as the doc for the variable says, it's not a good idea to change
org-latex-default-packages-alist unless there is a conflict. You should
add the pstricks entry to org-latex-packages-alist instead and leave
org-latex-default-packages-alist alone.

--
Nick