* newline element of org-emphasis-regexp-components no longer honored?
@ 2016-11-08 21:39 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-11-08 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So far as I can tell, the last element of this option is no longer
honored -- I've had it set to 3 for ages, but highlighting and export
only accept 1. I'm on Emacs git, and org-plus-contrib from Elpa.

Does anyone else see this?

* Re: newline element of org-emphasis-regexp-components no longer honored?
@ 2016-11-08 21:48 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-11-08 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> So far as I can tell, the last element of this option is no longer
> honored -- I've had it set to 3 for ages, but highlighting and export
> only accept 1. I'm on Emacs git, and org-plus-contrib from Elpa.
>
> Does anyone else see this?

To provide more information, I use this to set the final element (and
some other elements):

(setf (nth 4 org-emphasis-regexp-components) 3)

That's always done the trick in the past. I just checked `org-emph-re',
and indeed it is still at the default value.

Has anything changed about how this variable is set?

* Re: newline element of org-emphasis-regexp-components no longer honored?
@ 2016-11-11 10:01   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-11 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> So far as I can tell, the last element of this option is no longer
>> honored -- I've had it set to 3 for ages, but highlighting and export
>> only accept 1. I'm on Emacs git, and org-plus-contrib from Elpa.
>>
>> Does anyone else see this?

> To provide more information, I use this to set the final element (and
> some other elements):
>
> (setf (nth 4 org-emphasis-regexp-components) 3)
>
> That's always done the trick in the past. I just checked `org-emph-re',
> and indeed it is still at the default value.
>
> Has anything changed about how this variable is set?

`org-emphasis-regexp-components' was moved to a defvar instead of
a defcustom a long time ago (around 8.0 release). So you probably need
to call `org-set-emph-re' with appropriate arguments to update regexps.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: newline element of org-emphasis-regexp-components no longer honored?
@ 2016-11-11 16:43     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-11-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,

>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> So far as I can tell, the last element of this option is no longer
>>> honored -- I've had it set to 3 for ages, but highlighting and export
>>> only accept 1. I'm on Emacs git, and org-plus-contrib from Elpa.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else see this?

>> To provide more information, I use this to set the final element (and
>> some other elements):
>>
>> (setf (nth 4 org-emphasis-regexp-components) 3)
>>
>> That's always done the trick in the past. I just checked `org-emph-re',
>> and indeed it is still at the default value.
>>
>> Has anything changed about how this variable is set?
>
> `org-emphasis-regexp-components' was moved to a defvar instead of
> a defcustom a long time ago (around 8.0 release). So you probably need
> to call `org-set-emph-re' with appropriate arguments to update regexps.

Well weird, I was sure it was still working up until recently. Anyway,
I'll adjust my setup.

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: newline element of org-emphasis-regexp-components no longer honored?
@ 2016-11-11 22:14       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2016-11-11 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

fyi, it might be just me, but i do not understand the docstring to set-emph-re.

* Re: newline element of org-emphasis-regexp-components no longer honored?
@ 2016-11-11 23:05         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-11-11 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> fyi, it might be just me, but i do not understand the docstring to set-emph-re.

It's highly confusing -- the code, too. I can only guess that you're
supposed to put your modifications to org-emphasis-regexp-components
in the arguments to `org-set-emph-re'. Like:

(org-set-emph-re
  'org-emphasis-regexp-components
  (setf (nth 4 org-emphasis-regexp-components) 3))

Except if I've setf-ed, I don't need the (set var val) thing at all.
Just calling the function without that sexp, and with no args, would do
the trick.

What am I missing?