* [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-05-02  9:12 Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2022-05-02  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I followed the instructions at ...

https://orgmode.org/manual/JavaScript-support.html

... adding the following line to my Org file:

#+INFOJS_OPT: view:info toc:nil

The HTML now contains ...

<script src="https://orgmode.org/org-info.js">
// @license magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1f739d935676111cfff4b4693e3816e664797050&amp;dn=gpl-3.0.txt GPL-v3-or-Later
// @license-end
</script>

... but https://orgmode.org/org-info.js gives 404.

P.S. If someone decides to fix this, please consider adding a test.  Without
it, sooner or later, someone will waste their time again.

Rudy

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 9, x86_64-apple-darwin21.4.0, NS appkit-2113.40 Version 12.3.1 (Build 21E258))
 of 2022-05-01
Package: Org mode version 9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)
--
"One can begin to reason only when a clear picture has been formed in
the imagination."

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-05-02 10:08 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-05-02 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič, Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

> I followed the instructions at ...
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/JavaScript-support.html
>
> ... adding the following line to my Org file:
>
> #+INFOJS_OPT: view:info toc:nil
>
> The HTML now contains ...
>
> <script src="https://orgmode.org/org-info.js">
> // @license magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1f739d935676111cfff4b4693e3816e664797050&amp;dn=gpl-3.0.txt GPL-v3-or-Later
> // @license-end
> </script>
>
> ... but https://orgmode.org/org-info.js gives 404.

Confirmed.

The script is now hosted at
https://orgmode.org/worg/code/org-info-js/org-info.js

Apparently nobody touched this for a very long time. The last change in
this area was 9 years ago.

Bastien,

I do not fully understand why it is hosted in worg. We mention it in the
manual and support in the core. The script is licensed under GPL.
Is there any reason to keep it out of the main Org repo?

> P.S. If someone decides to fix this, please consider adding a test.  Without
> it, sooner or later, someone will waste their time again.

It is a good idea, though I am not sure if it is appropriate to add
network staff into Org tests directly.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-05-29 10:08   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-05-29 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

the https://orgmode.org/org-info.js file is available again, thanks
for reporting this.

> Apparently nobody touched this for a very long time. The last change
> in this area was 9 years ago.

Indeed, it would be good to have someone as a maintainer.  I suspect
the code is stable is still useful to some users.

> I do not fully understand why it is hosted in worg. We mention it in the
> manual and support in the core. The script is licensed under GPL.
> Is there any reason to keep it out of the main Org repo?

I'd like the main Org repository to focus on Org's core, i.e. what is
sync'ed with GNU Emacs core.

I think this nice js hack should live in a dedicated repository, along
with a dedicated HTML exporter that enables it.

>> P.S. If someone decides to fix this, please consider adding a test.  Without
>> it, sooner or later, someone will waste their time again.
>
> It is a good idea, though I am not sure if it is appropriate to add
> network staff into Org tests directly.

I'm sure it's not a good idea to add network-dependent tests :)

Also, we don't want everyone to use https://orgmode.org/org-info.js as
the source for the script, as this would put the server under too much
load pressure, people should rather host the script themselves.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-05-30  3:29     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-05-30  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> Apparently nobody touched this for a very long time. The last change
>> in this area was 9 years ago.
>
> Indeed, it would be good to have someone as a maintainer.  I suspect
> the code is stable is still useful to some users.

Should we create a help request for updates.orgmode.org?

>> I do not fully understand why it is hosted in worg. We mention it in the
>> manual and support in the core. The script is licensed under GPL.
>> Is there any reason to keep it out of the main Org repo?
>
> I'd like the main Org repository to focus on Org's core, i.e. what is
> sync'ed with GNU Emacs core.

This reminds me that Org does not actually consist of a single repo. At
this point, we at least have org, org-contrib, worg, and orgweb.

Should we create a dedicated project page in sr.ht to group everything
together nicely?

> I think this nice js hack should live in a dedicated repository, along
> with a dedicated HTML exporter that enables it.

What about backwards compatibility?

> Also, we don't want everyone to use https://orgmode.org/org-info.js as
> the source for the script, as this would put the server under too much
> load pressure, people should rather host the script themselves.

Should we change the default value of org-html-infojs-options then?
Alongside with possibly changing the relevant ox-publish code.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-05-31  6:51       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-05-31  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

> Should we create a help request for updates.orgmode.org?

Yes, although this is not a pressant issue IMHO.

> Should we create a dedicated project page in sr.ht to group everything
> together nicely?

There is such a SourceHut project: https://sr.ht/~bzg/orgmode/

The README for the project is that of https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/orgweb
because I had to select one, but it is not really what is needed here.

I could actually create a meta-repo with only a README that I would
use for this project.

Also, I could mirror org-mode.git on SourceHut as a read-only repo
that would be part of this project - I'm vary that this may confuse
users, though.  WDYT?

>> Also, we don't want everyone to use https://orgmode.org/org-info.js as
>> the source for the script, as this would put the server under too much
>> load pressure, people should rather host the script themselves.
>
> Should we change the default value of org-html-infojs-options then?
> Alongside with possibly changing the relevant ox-publish code.

I don't think we need to change the default value of
org-html-infojs-options yet - let's do it when org-info.js is made
available for everyone on another URL.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-06-12 11:50         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-06-12 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> There is such a SourceHut project: https://sr.ht/~bzg/orgmode/

The sr.ht project is now on https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/ and lists all
relevant repositories, including a mirror of the official org-mode
repository at https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-mode.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-06-14  4:20           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-14  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> There is such a SourceHut project: https://sr.ht/~bzg/orgmode/
>
> The sr.ht project is now on https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/ and lists all
> relevant repositories, including a mirror of the official org-mode
> repository at https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-mode.

Great! Will it be linked at orgmode.org? Org contribute page is lacking
links to all the repositories (which someone already complained about).
Addition link at the frontpage might also make sense.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-06-14  7:20             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-06-14  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

> Great! Will it be linked at orgmode.org?

Good idea, I just added a link to orgmode.org front page.

> Org contribute page is lacking
> links to all the repositories (which someone already complained about).
> Addition link at the frontpage might also make sense.

Yes, thanks for suggesting this, I also added an overview of Org
repositories on https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-06-21 14:26           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> There is such a SourceHut project: https://sr.ht/~bzg/orgmode/
>
> The sr.ht project is now on https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/ and lists all
> relevant repositories, including a mirror of the official org-mode
> repository at https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-mode.

I just found some complaints about stability of savannah:

https://github.com/doomemacs/doomemacs/blob/master/modules/lang/org/packages.el

    ;; REVIEW I intentionally avoid git.savannah.gnu.org because of SSL
           ;;   issues (see #5655), uptime issues, download time, and lack of
           ;;   shallow clone support.
           :repo "emacs-straight/org-mode"

So, having an official mirror could be handy.

However, https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-mode does not appear to sync
automatically. The last commit in https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-mode/log is
15 days ago.

Can we setup automatic mirror sync?
https://todo.sr.ht/~emacs/emacs/2 could be somewhat useful.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-06-22  3:41             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-06-22  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

> However, https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-mode does not appear to sync
> automatically. The last commit in https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-mode/log is
> 15 days ago.
>
> Can we setup automatic mirror sync?

Sure.

> https://todo.sr.ht/~emacs/emacs/2 could be somewhat useful.

Yes, somewhat: but I'm not yet clear on the steps to set up a mirror.

If anyone can guide me from A to Z, I'd be glad.

There is no hurry on this.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: [BUG] Info JS does not work [9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-467-g2bd34e @ /Users/salutis/src/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2022-06-22  4:11               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-22  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Rudolf Adamkovič, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> https://todo.sr.ht/~emacs/emacs/2 could be somewhat useful.
>
> Yes, somewhat: but I'm not yet clear on the steps to set up a mirror.
>
> If anyone can guide me from A to Z, I'd be glad.

The discussion mentions some cron job.

Quick googling yielded
https://git.sr.ht/~janbaudisch/git-mirror
https://www.edwardthomson.com/blog/mirroring_git_repositories.html
https://dzone.com/articles/mirroring-git-changes-from-one-server-to-another-s

Also, we might try to setup the mirror job via builds.sr.ht, but AFAIK
there is no available periodic build trigger, and you may need to
request running the job via direct API request
(https://man.sr.ht/builds.sr.ht/graphql.md)

Hope it helps.

Best,
Ihor