* Erratum in "The Org Manual" 9.6
@ 2023-09-10 12:02 Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-10 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

There are some links, that I am afraid don't work:

17.14.1 Packages that Org cooperates with

‘calc.el’ by Dave Gillespie
[...] See Section “Embedded Mode” in calc.

# that link doesn't work, it seems it tries to open the file calc.pdf

‘constants.el’ by Carsten Dominik [...]
http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools.

# That link is dead. Maybe this would be the correct one:
https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/c.dominik/#orgf869524

Best regards

* Re: Erratum in "The Org Manual" 9.6
@ 2023-09-11  8:13 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-11  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: Org-mode

Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

> There are some links, that I am afraid don't work:
>

> 17.14.1 Packages that Org cooperates with
>
> ‘calc.el’ by Dave Gillespie
> [...] See Section “Embedded Mode” in calc.
>
> # that link doesn't work, it seems it tries to open the file calc.pdf

It works on my side, when opening from inside org-manual.org, from Info
manual page, and from https://orgmode.org/manual/Cooperation.html. May
you please provide more details?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Should we move constants.el by Carsten Dominik to Org orphanage? (was: Erratum in "The Org Manual" 9.6)
@ 2023-09-11  8:18 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-11  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske, Bastien, Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode

Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

> There are some links, that I am afraid don't work:
> ‘constants.el’ by Carsten Dominik [...]
> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools.
>

> # That link is dead. Maybe this would be the correct one:
> https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/c.dominik/#orgf869524

The source code at https://github.com/cdominik/constants-for-Emacs has
not been changed since the end of 2020, and I have last seen Carsten
being active on mailing lists at the beginning of 2021.

So, we may instead consider marking the package at
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-orphanage.html and maybe inside
https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/ project.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Should we move constants.el by Carsten Dominik to Org orphanage?
@ 2023-10-16  5:46   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2023-10-16  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Maske, Carsten Dominik, Org-mode

> Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There are some links, that I am afraid don't work:
>> ‘constants.el’ by Carsten Dominik [...]
>> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools.
>>

>> # That link is dead. Maybe this would be the correct one:
>> https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/c.dominik/#orgf869524
>
> The source code at https://github.com/cdominik/constants-for-Emacs has
> not been changed since the end of 2020, and I have last seen Carsten
> being active on mailing lists at the beginning of 2021.

(My guess is that Carsten still skims through the list from time to
time.)

> So, we may instead consider marking the package at
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-orphanage.html and maybe inside
> https://sr.ht/~bzg/org/ project.

I see no reason not to use
https://github.com/cdominik/constants-for-Emacs as the source for
constants.el, the package seems stable (as its name suggests...)

I've fixed the link in the manual.

Of course, if Carsten wants to move the package to Org orphanage,
no problem.

 Bastien

* Re: Should we move constants.el by Carsten Dominik to Org orphanage?
@ 2023-10-16  9:11     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-10-16  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: Maske, Carsten Dominik, Org-mode

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> I see no reason not to use
> https://github.com/cdominik/constants-for-Emacs as the source for
> constants.el, the package seems stable (as its name suggests...)

I was mostly concerned that a pull request back from 2020 is still open.

That said, there is indeed no rush and actually no urgent need to do
anything - it is not like we are getting an large inflow of bug reports
related to constants.el.

--

@ 2023-10-16 10:11       ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2023-10-16 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Maske, Carsten Dominik, Org-mode

> Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I see no reason not to use
>> https://github.com/cdominik/constants-for-Emacs as the source for
>> constants.el, the package seems stable (as its name suggests...)
>
> I was mostly concerned that a pull request back from 2020 is still
> open.

AFAICT the PR is about whitespaces in the README, so not a blocker.

> That said, there is indeed no rush and actually no urgent need to do
> anything - it is not like we are getting an large inflow of bug reports
> related to constants.el.

Indeed :)

--
 Bastien Guerry