* org-agenda and org-agenda-columns, display time text property
@ 2023-11-18 21:50 Richard Sent
From: Richard Sent @ 2023-11-18 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi org mode!

Quick disclaimer, this may already exist and I missed it in my research.
If it does, please reinterpret this as a plea for help as opposed to a
feature request! :)

It would be nice if there was a way to display the time text property
while using org-columns in the agenda by modifying
org-local-columns-format (or similar variables). Something like

;; in appropriate hook or similar
(setq org-local-columns-format "%AGENDA_TIME %ITEM ..."

The next-best option, %TIMESTAMP, will display the raw timestamp for the
agenda item, but this isn't ideal.

a) it's overly wordy compared to the time text property e.g. [2023-11-18
Sat 11:30] vs. "11:30 ┄┄┄┄┄ "
b) repeating timestamps are displayed as  [2023-11-11 Sat 14:30 +2d],
meaning you can't tell what time a particular entry is scheduled.

org-columns does add some unique advantages to org-agenda. For example,
I like to add a LOCATION property to my entries and use %LOCATION to
display the location in the agenda. It's a shame that there's a tradeoff
when doing this.

I have found an implementation that accomplishes this at
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/59940 and discussion at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-08/msg00090.html,
but this seems to focus on a different problem related to
org-agenda-columns-add-appointments-to-effort-sum. It does not look like
the implementation discussed ever made its way in.

Thanks!
Richard

* Re: org-agenda and org-agenda-columns, display time text property
@ 2023-12-08 21:49 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-08 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Sent; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Sent <richard@freakingpenguin.com> writes:

> It would be nice if there was a way to display the time text property
> while using org-columns in the agenda by modifying
> org-local-columns-format (or similar variables). Something like
>
> ;; in appropriate hook or similar
> (setq org-local-columns-format "%AGENDA_TIME %ITEM ..."
> a) it's overly wordy compared to the time text property e.g. [2023-11-18
> Sat 11:30] vs. "11:30 ┄┄┄┄┄ "
> b) repeating timestamps are displayed as  [2023-11-11 Sat 14:30 +2d],
> meaning you can't tell what time a particular entry is scheduled.
>
> org-columns does add some unique advantages to org-agenda. For example,
> I like to add a LOCATION property to my entries and use %LOCATION to
> display the location in the agenda. It's a shame that there's a tradeoff
> when doing this.
>
> I have found an implementation that accomplishes this at
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/59940 and discussion at
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-08/msg00090.html,
> but this seems to focus on a different problem related to
> org-agenda-columns-add-appointments-to-effort-sum. It does not look like
> the implementation discussed ever made its way in.

Providing a way to get some column values from agenda buffer does make
sense. Patches welcome!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,