* Logging work
@ 2008-11-13 21:56 Flávio de Souza
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-11-13 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am using org mode to organize my personal projects at home
and my projects at work.

Generally I work on two or three big projects at work and a
few tasks ( not directly related to a specific  project ).

Org-mode is working well for me, but I also need to log working time.
I need logging time for every specific project task. I found that
org-mode has great logging work time feature and I can make many
kinds of reports with it.

I would like to have a time summary at the end of each day for all the
tasks I worked on this specific day. I would like to know if it is possible
since I log time in different project files. Can you help me?

I dont know if it is clear, but in different projects I can have
the same type of task, so I want a summary by type of task.

Flávio.

* Re: Logging work
@ 2008-11-13 22:16 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-13 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flávio de Souza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:

> I am using org mode to organize my personal projects at home
> and my projects at work.
>
> Generally I work on two or three big projects at work and a
> few tasks ( not directly related to a specific  project ).
>
> Org-mode is working well for me, but I also need to log working time.
> I need logging time for every specific project task. I found that
> org-mode has great logging work time feature and I can make many
> kinds of reports with it.
>
> I would like to have a time summary at the end of each day for all the
> tasks I worked on this specific day. I would like to know if it is possible
> since I log time in different project files. Can you help me?
>
> I dont know if it is clear, but in different projects I can have
> the same type of task, so I want a summary by type of task.

Hi Flávio,

I'm assuming you are clocking your tasks which creates clock lines.  In
this case the agenda can summarize your clocked tasks - it will include
any tasks you have that contribute to the agenda (ie. are in
org-agenda-files)

'R' in the agenda will display the summary report of clocked times.
This is across multiple files but similarly named tasks will not be
combined.  If you only want the time for a single day then limit the
agenda to single day view (with 'd') and display the report.

You can move the date with the left and right arrow keys and the report
will display the summary for that date.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Logging work
@ 2008-11-14  0:25   ` Flávio de Souza
From: Flávio de Souza @ 2008-11-14  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the help. I did not know about the agenda 'R' command.

I have just tried it. This looks like a great feature.

Altough I did not get time for similar tasks, I think it is
not going to be a big problem.

Flávio.

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> flaviostz@gmail.com (Flávio de Souza) writes:
>
>> I am using org mode to organize my personal projects at home
>> and my projects at work.
>>
>> Generally I work on two or three big projects at work and a
>> few tasks ( not directly related to a specific  project ).
>>
>> Org-mode is working well for me, but I also need to log working time.
>> I need logging time for every specific project task. I found that
>> org-mode has great logging work time feature and I can make many
>> kinds of reports with it.
>>
>> I would like to have a time summary at the end of each day for all the
>> tasks I worked on this specific day. I would like to know if it is possible
>> since I log time in different project files. Can you help me?
>>
>> I dont know if it is clear, but in different projects I can have
>> the same type of task, so I want a summary by type of task.
>>

> Hi Flávio,
>
> I'm assuming you are clocking your tasks which creates clock lines.  In
> this case the agenda can summarize your clocked tasks - it will include
> any tasks you have that contribute to the agenda (ie. are in
> org-agenda-files)
>
> 'R' in the agenda will display the summary report of clocked times.
> This is across multiple files but similarly named tasks will not be
> combined.  If you only want the time for a single day then limit the
> agenda to single day view (with 'd') and display the report.
>
> You can move the date with the left and right arrow keys and the report
> will display the summary for that date.
>
> HTH,
> Bernt

Flávio de Souza