* Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
@ 2009-05-21 13:50 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-05-21 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

An outline, when exported as PDF, shows no sections.  When exporting to
LaTeX, the following message is received:

   ERROR: LaTeX Error: Too deeply nested.

   --- TeX said ---

   Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

   l.110 \begin{itemize}

   --- HELP ---
   There are too many list-making environments nested within one another.
  How many levels of nesting are permitted may depend upon what computer
   you are using, but at least four levels are provided, which should be
   enough.

When I am able to clear out a couple of levels of /begin{itemize}, LaTeX
does compile, and produces a file with sections as expected.

Is there a solution, or something I ought to know?

I have tried to set some options, like sec:5, in the outline, but to no
effect.  In the PDF, instead of sections with numbers, one finds several
stars, as though this were an ascii export.

Thank you for any advice.

Alan Davis

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
    ---- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
@ 2009-05-21 14:27 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-21 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Alan,

this is a fundamental limitation in LaTeX

See http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=toodeep

The only thing you can do in Org is to increase the number of headline
levels to the maximum possible:

#+OPTION H:5

is I think the maximum you can get.  You cal also create a
LaTeX class with more headline leves and push H even further.
I believe there are some clases which provide at least subsubparagraph.

If you have a good idea how to represent deeper levels in LaTeX, maybe
we
can do something clever in the LaTeX exporter.

Besides this, I see no further way out of this problem.

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-21 14:52   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

Replying to my own message:

On May 21, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> this is a fundamental limitation in LaTeX
>
> See http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=toodeep
>
> The only thing you can do in Org is to increase the number of
> headline levels to the maximum possible:
>
> #+OPTION H:5
>
> is I think the maximum you can get.  You cal also create a
> LaTeX class with more headline leves and push H even further.
> I believe there are some clases which provide at least
> subsubparagraph.
>
> If you have a good idea how to represent deeper levels in LaTeX,
> maybe we
> can do something clever in the LaTeX exporter.
>
> Besides this, I see no further way out of this problem.

I just realize that your question provides the answer to a question
I had for a long time:  Why did Bastien implement lower
levels in the LaTeX export as {description} lists instead of
{itemize} lists.  Now I know the answer:  Because the number of levels
in a description list is not limited.

I recently changed Bastien's code to use itemize instead, for
consistence with HTML export.  Fortunately I left the old code
in, with a customization option.  Please try:

(setq org-export-latex-low-level 'description)

- Carsten

> HTH
>
> - Carsten
>
> On May 21, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
>
>> An outline, when exported as PDF, shows no sections.  When
>> exporting to LaTeX, the following message is received:
>>
>>   ERROR: LaTeX Error: Too deeply nested.
>>
>>   --- TeX said ---
>>
>>   See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>>   Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>>
>>   l.110 \begin{itemize}
>>
>>   --- HELP ---
>>   There are too many list-making environments nested within one
>> another.
>>  How many levels of nesting are permitted may depend upon what
>> computer
>>   you are using, but at least four levels are provided, which
>> should be
>>   enough.
>>
>> When I am able to clear out a couple of levels of /begin{itemize},
>> LaTeX does compile, and produces a file with sections as expected.
>>
>> Is there a solution, or something I ought to know?
>>
>> I have tried to set some options, like sec:5, in the outline, but
>> to no effect.  In the PDF, instead of sections with numbers, one
>> finds several stars, as though this were an ascii export.
>>
>> Thank you for any advice.
>>

>> Alan Davis
>>
>> It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
>> there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
>>    ---- Bertrand Russell

=======================
PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS
=======================
prof.dr. Carsten Dominik				dominik@uva.nl
Astronomical Institute 'Anton Pannekoek' 	 	www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik
Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam		phone 	+31-20-5257477/7491
SCIENCE PARK 904, ROOM C4-106			fax   	+31-20-5257484
1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mail: PO BOX 94249, 1090GE, Amsterdam

* Re: Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
@ 2009-05-21 20:14     ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-05-21 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode, Carsten Dominik

 Thank you for the response.

> On May 21, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>

>> The only thing you can do in Org is to increase the number of headline
>> levels to the maximum possible:
>>
>> #+OPTION H:5

This doesn't work for me.

>> is I think the maximum you can get.  You cal also create a
>> LaTeX class with more headline leves and push H even further.
>> I believe there are some clases which provide at least subsubparagraph.
>>

>> If you have a good idea how to represent deeper levels in LaTeX, maybe we
>> can do something clever in the LaTeX exporter.

??????

> I just realize that your question provides the answer to a question
> I had for a long time:  Why did Bastien implement lower
> levels in the LaTeX export as {description} lists instead of
> {itemize} lists.  Now I know the answer:  Because the number of levels
> in a description list is not limited.
>
> I recently changed Bastien's code to use itemize instead, for
> consistence with HTML export.  Fortunately I left the old code
> in, with a customization option.  Please try:
>
> (setq org-export-latex-low-level 'description)

So far, this doesn't solve my problem.  Should I then use description lists
for all outline entries?

I don't understand why  I  do not see "section" or "subsection", and the
sections often come out with bare stars.  Is this also because the number of
levels has been exceeded?

Thank you again.  This is the first limitation of LaTeX I have not seen an
immediate way around.

Alan

* Re: Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
@ 2009-05-21 22:44       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-21 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode, Carsten Dominik

On May 21, 2009, at 10:14 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

>  Thank you for the response.
>

> On May 21, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
> The only thing you can do in Org is to increase the number of
> headline levels to the maximum possible:
>
> #+OPTION H:5
>
> This doesn't work for me.

Typo:

> is I think the maximum you can get.  You cal also create a
> LaTeX class with more headline leves and push H even further.
> I believe there are some clases which provide at least
> subsubparagraph.
>

> If you have a good idea how to represent deeper levels in LaTeX,
> maybe we
> can do something clever in the LaTeX exporter.
>
> ??????
>

> I just realize that your question provides the answer to a question
> I had for a long time:  Why did Bastien implement lower
> levels in the LaTeX export as {description} lists instead of
> {itemize} lists.  Now I know the answer:  Because the number of levels
> in a description list is not limited.
>
> I recently changed Bastien's code to use itemize instead, for
> consistence with HTML export.  Fortunately I left the old code
> in, with a customization option.  Please try:
>
> (setq org-export-latex-low-level 'description)
>
> So far, this doesn't solve my problem.  Should I then use
> description lists for all outline entries?

No.  This should just take your

******** headline

and export it as a description list item.  Works just fine in my tests
here.

> I don't understand why  I  do not see "section" or "subsection", and
> the sections often come out with bare stars.  Is this also because
> the number of levels has been exceeded?

No, this must be a different bug, which I cannot reproduce.  Example
file???

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-22  1:38       ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-05-22  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

Alan E. Davis wrote:

> I don't understand why  I  do not see "section" or "subsection", and the
> sections often come out with bare stars.  Is this also because the
> number of levels has been exceeded?

Are you, by any chance, using a top-level org file with
#+INCLUDE lines?  If so, you need to put at least one
line with a single start before the include directives.  I had
a similar problem in the past and this solved my problem.

That is:

* Introduction
#+INCLUDE "abc.org"
#+INCLUDE "def.org"

Each of the included org files can have their own top-level headlines
and these are turned into the appropriate LaTeX sectioning commands.

Mark

* Re: Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
@ 2009-05-22  8:17         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-05-22  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On May 21, 2009, at 10:14 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
>> I don't understand why  I  do not see "section" or "subsection", and
>> the sections often come out with bare stars.  Is this also because
>> the number of levels has been exceeded?
>
> No, this must be a different bug, which I cannot reproduce.  Example
> file???

Carsten,

I have been having this problem the past two days but had avoided
posting until I determined it wasn't my fault.  For the following org
file:

#----------------------------------------------- cut here
#+TITLE:     t.org
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+EMAIL:     e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
#+DATE:      2009-05-11 Mon
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:

* Testing embedded aligned equations

  \begin{eqnarray}
    x &=& a_i + b_j + c_{k} \\
    y &=& \sqrt{x}
  \end{eqnarray}

  \begin{eqnarray*}
    x &=& a_i + b_j + c_{k} \\
    y &=& \sqrt{x}
  \end{eqnarray*}
*** This is a subsection
with not very much text
*** but another
which might have had more text in an ideal world.
#----------------------------------------------- cut here

exporting to latex works fine if you export the whole file.  If,
however, you select a region, such as the region starting from the
         "*** This is a subsection"
line to the end of the file, the latex export doesn't convert the
leading *s to sections, putting the *s directly into the latex:

,----
| \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
| \tableofcontents
| \vspace*{1cm}
| \textbf{*} This is a subsection
| with not very much text
| \textbf{*} but another
| which might have had more text in an ideal world.
|
| \end{document}
`----

hope this helps.

* Re: Re: Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
@ 2009-05-23  6:26           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-23  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Indeed, there was a bug there.  Fixed now, thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-23 22:39             ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-05-23 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric S Fraga