From: Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: General question on dealing with Latex to word conversion
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:31:09 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Marvin,

> Org mode is now a part of my daily work-flow, not only do I use it for
> teaching, scheduling my time, but I also use it to store my research notes.
> The only snag is several of my collaborators is tied to microsoft word, and
> thus my only work around is to export my notes and draft from Org to plain
> text and then reformat everything in word, which real time sync., especially
> when I have to retype equations in Mathtype.

Hmm.  Given that at least one person in your team must adapt to the
others, might I ask why that person has to be you?  Is there a reason
that your collaborators can't use Org mode and/or LaTeX?  (Or at least
export their work to plain text, so you can incorporate it in your Org
files?)

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, or insensitive to your particular
situation.  But since no one else has said it, I just wanted to point
out that it might be easier or more efficient, in terms of overall
person-hours, to convert from Word to Org, rather than the other way
around.

(I don't know anything about MathType, but it would seem within the
realm of possibility to *automatically* convert a Word document
containing MathType that has been exported as plain text into something
Org and/or LaTeX can understand.  This site, for example, makes it look
like MathType can export to TeX and LaTeX, so maybe that gets you most
of the way there:

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/features.htm)

Best,
Richard