* breaking URLs
@ 2011-07-15 20:21 Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2011-07-15 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Greetings!

My goal is to export an orgmode file to LaTeX and then compile to PDF.

My orgmode file contains many URLs. What is the best way to have them
break?   A simple URL in the orgmode file will not break.  if I place
the URL in  \url{my url}  it is exported as

\url{[[my url]] [[my url]]}   however the URL is nicely split to the
next line in the pdf.

if I use \href{my url} then the LaTeX file does not compile and gives
the following error message:

ERROR: pdfTeX error (ext1): \pdfendlink cannot be used in vertical mode.

--- TeX said ---
\close@pdflink ->\Hy@endcolorlink \pdfendlink

Any advise?

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine

Email: hindiogine@gmail.com
Skype: hindiogine
Website: http://people.cehd.tamu.edu/~sindiogine

* Re: breaking URLs
@ 2011-07-18  8:57 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-18  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Henri-Paul,

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> My goal is to export an orgmode file to LaTeX and then compile to PDF.
>
> My orgmode file contains many URLs. What is the best way to have them
> break?   A simple URL in the orgmode file will not break.  if I place
> the URL in  \url{my url}  it is exported as
>
> \url{[[my url]] [[my url]]}   however the URL is nicely split to the
> next line in the pdf.

I would welcome ideas/code to have more flexibility wrt the way urls
are handled by the LaTeX exporter.

> if I use \href{my url} then the LaTeX file does not compile and gives
> the following error message:
>

> ERROR: pdfTeX error (ext1): \pdfendlink cannot be used in vertical
> mode.

This looks like a LaTeX related problem, and I'm not export enough to
help here.  I hope someone will be able to give you further advice.

 Bastien

* Re: breaking URLs
@ 2011-07-18 16:18   ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2011-07-18 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Bastien!

2011/7/18 Bastien <bzg@altern.org>:
>> the URL in  \url{my url}  it is exported as
>>
>> \url{[[my url]] [[my url]]}   however the URL is nicely split to the
>> next line in the pdf.
>
> I would welcome ideas/code to have more flexibility wrt the way urls
> are handled by the LaTeX exporter.

If there would be a way of having the URL in orgmode be exported to
LaTeX as \url{my url} without the square brackets and the repetition
that would be all that is necessary for me.  I have no idea why the
LaTeX exporter add the brackets and duplicates the link.

>> ERROR: pdfTeX error (ext1): \pdfendlink cannot be used in vertical
>> mode.
>
> This looks like a LaTeX related problem, and I'm not export enough to
> help here.  I hope someone will be able to give you further advice.

Yes, that is a LaTeX issue.  I do not know the "hyperref" package well
enough to understand that problem.

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine

Curriculum & Instruction
Texas A&M University
TutorFind Learning Centre

@ 2011-07-26 11:24     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-26 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bastien!
>
> 2011/7/18 Bastien <bzg@altern.org>:
>>> the URL in  \url{my url}  it is exported as
>>>
>>> \url{[[my url]] [[my url]]}   however the URL is nicely split to the
>>> next line in the pdf.
>>
>> I would welcome ideas/code to have more flexibility wrt the way urls
>> are handled by the LaTeX exporter.
>
> If there would be a way of having the URL in orgmode be exported to
> LaTeX as \url{my url} without the square brackets and the repetition
> that would be all that is necessary for me.  I have no idea why the
> LaTeX exporter add the brackets and duplicates the link.

You want to customize `org-export-latex-href-format'.

This variable used to make two "%s" mandatory, to insert both the link
and its path.  You can now use only one "%s" if you want, since latest
git commit.

  (setq org-export-latex-href-format "\url{%s}")

will do what you want.

Thanks for bringing this up!

--
 Bastien

* Re: breaking URLs
@ 2011-07-26 17:13       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>   (setq org-export-latex-href-format "\url{%s}")

Of course this should be:

(setq org-export-latex-href-format "\\url{%s}")

Best,

--
 Bastien