* org-open-at-point (C-c C-o) doesn't work anymore
@ 2011-07-29 22:37 Hsiu-Khuern Tang
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2011-07-29 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi all,

When I try C-c C-o to open a link in an Org buffer, e.g.,
http://www.google.com, I get:

org-babel-open-src-block-result: Symbol's value as variable is void:
org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp

This is the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp)
  org-babel-get-src-block-info()
  org-babel-open-src-block-result(nil)
  call-interactively(org-babel-open-src-block-result t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

Trying to search for org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp in the source
led me to this commit

commit 6da29f151915fd86f40b51cbb999d3b2792aff0e
Author: Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Jun 23 11:24:33 2010 -0700

    integrating org-babel into org.el
is quite basic and many people must use it, I'm guessing I'm doing
something wrong.  Help please?

Thanks!

Hsiu-Khuern.

* Re: org-open-at-point (C-c C-o) doesn't work anymore
@ 2011-07-30  5:45 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-30  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hsiu-Khuern Tang <tangoh@gmail.com> writes:
> I haven't found a similar report on the mailing list.  Since C-c C-o
> is quite basic and many people must use it, I'm guessing I'm doing
> something wrong.  Help please?

Since you don't really say what you're doing it is hard to tell, but my
guess is you are either using an uncompiled or partially compiled
version of org-mode and/or the org-install.el is not current (or
present).  If you are using an uncompiled version, try:

make clean
make autoloads

Otherwise if you've installed org-mode previously, try a re-install:

make clean
make install

Check that you have

(require 'org-install)

in your startup sequence somewhere and that it picks up the correct
org-install.el (from your version of org-mode, not the one that comes
with your version of emacs).

HTH,
Achim.

* Re: org-open-at-point (C-c C-o) doesn't work anymore
@ 2011-07-30 21:23 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-07-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hsiu-Khuern Tang; +Cc: orgmode

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Hsiu-Khuern Tang <tangoh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I try C-c C-o to open a link in an Org buffer, e.g.,
> http://www.google.com, I get:
>
> org-babel-open-src-block-result: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp
>
> This is the backtrace:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp)
>  org-babel-get-src-block-info()
>  org-babel-open-src-block-result(nil)
>  call-interactively(org-babel-open-src-block-result t nil)
>  execute-extended-command(nil)
>  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
>
> Trying to search for org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp in the source
> led me to this commit

> is quite basic and many people must use it, I'm guessing I'm doing
> something wrong.  Help please?

I experienced this as well, but with a different issue. See this
thread of mine from today:
--- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg44887.html

The following both (well, using either one) fixed my issue as well as
the C-c C-o issue:

1) make clean
2) git reset --hard release_7.7

It looks like that commit might be an issue after all.

John

Thanks to Jambunathan for his suggestion -- I had no idea what to do.

@ 2011-07-31  8:48   ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2011-07-31  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi John and Achim,

Thanks for your replies.  I tried your suggestions, and here are the results:

- Achim's suggestions:

I normally install org-mode from a .deb that I create using a
debian/rules file copied from the debian org-mode package, so I
believe I'm using the correct org-install.elc file.  I also tried
uninstalling the deb package and installing org-mode under /usr/local
via "make install" and got the same results.

- John's suggestions:

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I experienced this as well, but with a different issue. See this
> thread of mine from today:
> --- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg44887.html
>
> The following both (well, using either one) fixed my issue as well as
> the C-c C-o issue:
>
> 1) make clean
> 2) git reset --hard release_7.7
>
> It looks like that commit might be an issue after all.

Running

git reset --hard release_7.7

does solve my C-c C-o problem -- this suggests to me that some patch
since release_7.7 is responsible?  I do see a patch -- commit
9ff7f80f51a15c -- that seems related, but I'm not familiar enough with
elisp/git to diagnose this.

@ 2011-07-31  9:14 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-31  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hsiu-Khuern Tang <tangoh@gmail.com> writes:
> org-babel-open-src-block-result: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp

Thanks for reporting this.  I've just posted a patch in another thread:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/45159

As a workaround you can also do an M-x org-reload (bound to C-c C-x !).

Regards,
Achim.