* org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-01 22:29 Melleus
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Melleus @ 2015-03-01 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi to all.

I'm afraid to ask. But... Anyway. Does %%(org-calendar-holiday) know
about holiday-local-holidays? I'm not programmer, sorry. I've set up
those local holidays but cannot see them in my agenda.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02  0:33 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-03-02  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[Crossposted to the help-gnu-emacs list, for possible advice on
whether or not this involves a bug in GNU Emacs.]

On 2015-03-02T09:29:09+1100, Melleus said:

 M> I'm afraid to ask. But... Anyway. Does
 %%(org-calendar-holiday) M> know about holiday-local-holidays?
 I'm not programmer, sorry. I've M> set up those local holidays
 but cannot see them in my agenda.

You can examine the definition of an ELisp function by:

1. typing C-h f whilst on a function;
2. typing RET to take you to the documentation for that function;
3. typing TAB then RET to take you to the function definition.

Starting with point on `org-calendar-holiday`, we find that:

- `org-calendar-holiday` calls (if available)
  `calendar-check-holidays` or (otherwise)
  `check-calendar-holidays`;

- `calendar-check-holidays` calls `calendar-holiday-list`;

- `calendar-holiday-list` makes use of the `calendar-holidays`
  variable.

We can examine the documentation for the `calendar-holidays`
variable by moving point onto and typing C-h v RET. On my setup
(manually compiled Emacs 24.4.1 on Debian Wheezy(+updates) x86_64
together with Org 20150223), the documentation suggests that
`calendar-holidays` makes use of the `holiday-local-holidays`
variable; and the documentation for `holiday-local-holidays`
merely refers us back to the documentation for
`calendar-holidays`.

When i scroll down to look at the current value of
`calendar-holidays`, however, i see that neither the current value
nor the original value makes any reference to the
`holiday-local-holidays` variable. And indeed, when i examine my
agenda for next Monday, which is a local holiday i've specified in
`holiday-local-holidays`, i can't see that local holiday. To fix
this, i use M-: to evaluate:

    (setq calendar-holidays (append calendar-holidays
    holiday-local-holidays))

after which the local holiday next Monday appears in my Org
agenda.

Given the documentation for the `calendar-holidays` variable, the
fact that i need to manually add the value of the
`holiday-local-holidays` variable to `calendar-holidays` seems to
me like it might be a coding or documentation bug in Emacs .... ?

Alexis.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02  1:40 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-03-02  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Melleus <melleus@openmailbox.org> writes:

> Hi to all.
>
> I'm afraid to ask. But... Anyway. Does %%
> about holiday-local-holidays? I'm not programmer, sorry. I've set up
> those local holidays but cannot see them in my agenda.

Can you see them in the calendar? If so, I think you should
be able to see them in the agenda too. If you can't see them
in the calendar, then read the doc for calendar-holidays
carefully, in particular this paragraph:

,----
`----

--
Nick

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 15:26   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-03-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexis writes:

> When i scroll down to look at the current value of
> `calendar-holidays`, however, i see that neither the current
> value nor the original value makes any reference to the
> `holiday-local-holidays` variable. And indeed, when i examine my
> agenda for next Monday, which is a local holiday i've specified
> in `holiday-local-holidays`, i can't see that local holiday. To
> fix this, i use M-: to evaluate:
>
>    (setq calendar-holidays (append calendar-holidays
> holiday-local-holidays))
>
> after which the local holiday next Monday appears in my Org
> agenda.

You do not need to add that, calendar-holidays appends
holiday-local-holidays when holidays.el is loaded, just restart
emacs.

> Given the documentation for the `calendar-holidays` variable,
> the fact that i need to manually add the value of the
> `holiday-local-holidays` variable to `calendar-holidays` seems
> to me like it might be a coding or documentation bug in Emacs
> .... ?

It is also not a documentation bug, at least in my emacs
(25.0.50.1) the documentation of calendar-holidays says clearly:

"Note that these variables [`holiday-other-holidays',
`holiday-general-holidays', `holiday-local-holidays',
`holiday-christian-holidays', `holiday-hebrew-holidays',
`holiday-islamic-holidays', `holiday-bahai-holidays',
`holiday-oriental-holidays' and `holiday-solar-holidays'] have no
effect on `calendar-holidays' after it has been set (e.g. after
the calendar is loaded). In that case, customize
`calendar-holidays' directly."

Best,

--
Jorge.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 15:34 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-03-02 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Melleus.

Melleus writes:

> Does %%(org-calendar-holiday) know about holiday-local-holidays?
> I'm not programmer, sorry. I've set up those local holidays but
> cannot see them in my agenda.

They should show up after you restart emacs.

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 17:30   ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2015-03-02 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> They should show up after you restart emacs.

I supposed it should. But in fact in does not work.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 17:32   ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2015-03-02 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> see that local holiday. To fix this, i use M-: to evaluate:
>
>    (setq calendar-holidays (append calendar-holidays
> holiday-local-holidays))
>
> after which the local holiday next Monday appears in my Org agenda.

Works perfectly this way, thank you.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 21:58     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-03-02 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Melleus  writes:

> Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> see that local holiday. To fix this, i use M-: to evaluate:
>>
>>    (setq calendar-holidays (append calendar-holidays
>> holiday-local-holidays))
>
> Works perfectly this way, thank you.
>
> jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:
>
>> They should show up after you restart emacs.
>
> I supposed it should. But in fact in does not work.

holidays.el appends holiday-local-holidays to calendar-holidays
via a defcustom, so if you set holiday-local-holidays in your
.emacs, restart emacs and the local holidays are not in
calendar-holidays, it is because you are calling something that
loads holidays.el before you set holiday-local-holidays.

If you add the code above to your .emacs and later modify your
configuration and remove or move the part that loads holidays.el,
then either your code will fail (because calendar-holidays is not
yet defined) or calendar-holidays will have your local holidays
twice and they will show twice in your agenda.

I think that you should look for whatever calls holidays.el and
set holiday-local-holidays before that.

If not, then at least use eval-after-load so that
calendar-holidays is already defined when the code is run, and
add-to-list so that the entries do not get added twice if they are
already there:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (eval-after-load 'holidays
    '(dolist (holiday holiday-local-holidays)
             (add-to-list 'calendar-holidays holiday))
#+END_SRC

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 22:23     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-03-02 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-03-03T02:26:37+1100, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo said:

 JAA> Alexis writes:

 >> When i scroll down to look at the current value of
 >> `calendar-holidays`, however, i see that neither the current
 >> value nor the original value makes any reference to the
 >> `holiday-local-holidays` variable. And indeed, when i examine
 >> my agenda for next Monday, which is a local holiday i've
 >> specified in `holiday-local-holidays`, i can't see that local
 >> holiday. To fix this, i use M-: to evaluate:
 >>
 >> (setq calendar-holidays (append calendar-holidays
 >> holiday-local-holidays))
 >>
 >> after which the local holiday next Monday appears in my Org
 >> agenda.

 JAA> You do not need to add that, calendar-holidays appends JAA>
 holiday-local-holidays when holidays.el is loaded, just restart
 JAA> emacs.

Not in my Emacs (manually compiled 24.4.1, the most recent
official stable release). My `local-holidays` variable was set for
years, such that only as part of trying to help the OP did i
notice that it's been obsoleted; the documentation for it says:

      This variable is an alias for `holiday-local-holidays'.
      This variable is obsolete since 23.1; use
      `holiday-local-holidays' instead.

So i changed my init to refer to `holiday-local-holidays` instead
of `local-holidays`, and restarted Emacs, and the issue persisted:
the value of `holiday-local-holidays` is /not/ included in
`calendar-holidays` by default. The `(setq calendar-holidays ...`
line i described above is necessary to work around this.

 JAA> It is also not a documentation bug, at least in my emacs
 JAA> (25.0.50.1) the documentation of calendar-holidays says
 clearly:

 JAA> "Note that these variables [`holiday-other-holidays', JAA>
 `holiday-general-holidays', `holiday-local-holidays', JAA>
 `holiday-christian-holidays', `holiday-hebrew-holidays', JAA>
 `holiday-islamic-holidays', `holiday-bahai-holidays', JAA>
 `holiday-oriental-holidays' and `holiday-solar-holidays'] have
 JAA> no effect on `calendar-holidays' after it has been set JAA>
 (e.g. after the calendar is loaded). In that case, customize JAA>
 `calendar-holidays' directly."

In 24.4.1, the documentation is phrased differently; it says:

    Additional holidays are easy to add to the list, just put them
    in the list `holiday-other-holidays' in your init file.
    Similarly, by setting any of `holiday-general-holidays',
    `holiday-local-holidays', `holiday-christian-holidays',
    `holiday-hebrew-holidays', `holiday-islamic-holidays',
    `holiday-bahai-holidays', `holiday-oriental-holidays', or
    `holiday-solar-holidays' to nil in your init file, you can
    eliminate unwanted categories of holidays.

    The aforementioned variables control the holiday choices
    offered by the function `holiday-list' when it is called
    interactively.

    They also initialize the default value of `calendar-holidays',
    which is the default list of holidays used by the function
    `holiday-list' in the non-interactive case.  Note that these
    variables have no effect on `calendar-holidays' after it has
    been set (e.g. after the calendar is loaded).  In that case,
    customize `calendar-holidays' directly.

    The intention is that (in the US) `holiday-local-holidays' be
    set in site-init.el and `holiday-other-holidays' be set by the
    user.

It's the fact that, despite the above docstring, and that, as i
described above, setting the value of `holiday-local-holidays` has
no direct effect on `calendar-holidays` /even after a restart of
Emacs/, that led me to suggest there might be a code bug or a
documentation bug (e.g. maybe some variable needed to be set to
`t` to ensure the value of `holiday-local-holidays` gets included
in `calendar-holidays`).

Since things work for you, and the phrasing for the documentation
for `calendar-holidays` has changed between the most recent stable
release and the development version of Emacs you're using, my
guess is that there is indeed a bug in 24.4.1 and earlier that has
subsequently been fixed. Later today i'll try building from the
first 24.5 pretest and the master branch, and examine what happens
with `holiday-local-holidays` / `calendar-holidays` in both
instances.

Alexis.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 22:54       ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-03-02 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-03-03T08:58:20+1100, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
<jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu> said:

 JAA> holidays.el appends holiday-local-holidays to
 calendar-holidays JAA> via a defcustom, so if you set
 holiday-local-holidays in your JAA> .emacs, restart emacs and the
 local holidays are not in JAA> calendar-holidays, it is because
 you are calling something that JAA> loads holidays.el before you
 set holiday-local-holidays.

 JAA> If you add the code above to your .emacs and later modify
 your JAA> configuration and remove or move the part that loads
 JAA> holidays.el, then either your code will fail (because JAA>
 calendar-holidays is not yet defined) or calendar-holidays will
 JAA> have your local holidays twice and they will show twice in
 your JAA> agenda.

 JAA> I think that you should look for whatever calls holidays.el
 and JAA> set holiday-local-holidays before that.

i just tried moving my `(setq holiday-local-holidays ...)` to the
very first line of my config setup, and lo, that does result in
local holidays appearing in my Org agenda. However, my config
setup is a 3000+ line Org Babel file, in which i group together
things that are related in my mind, and the setup for the calendar
is about a third of the way through this. Thus ....

 JAA> If not, then at least use eval-after-load so that JAA>
 calendar-holidays is already defined when the code is run, and
 JAA> add-to-list so that the entries do not get added twice if
 they are JAA> already there:

 JAA> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp (eval-after-load 'holidays '(dolist
 JAA> (holiday holiday-local-holidays) (add-to-list
 'calendar-holidays JAA> holiday)) #+END_SRC

.... works better in my context, and is more robust, longer-term,
than my original suggestion to use

    (setq calendar-holidays (append calendar-holidays
    holiday-local-holidays))

So, thank you! Although i do note that my suggestion was
nevertheless within the guidelines of the documentation for
`calendar-holidays`:

    Note that these variables have no effect on
    `calendar-holidays' after it has been set (e.g. after the
    calendar is loaded).  In that case, customize
    `calendar-holidays' directly.

i feel the above documentation could be improved by adding that
`eval-after-load` should probably by used in this context, e.g.:

    Note that these variables have no effect on
    `calendar-holidays' after it has been set (e.g. after the
    calendar is loaded).  In that case, customize
    `calendar-holidays' directly, for example by using
    `eval-after-load':

        (eval-after-load 'holidays
                         '(dolist (holiday holiday-local-holidays)
                                   (add-to-list 'calendar-holidays
                                   holiday)))

i'll open a GNU Emacs issue to that effect. :-)

Thanks again!

Alexis.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-02 23:53         ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-03-02 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alexis  writes:

> i just tried moving my `(setq holiday-local-holidays ...)` to
> the very first line of my config setup, and lo, that does result
> in local holidays appearing in my Org agenda.

I am glad it worked out for you.

> However, my config setup is a 3000+ line Org Babel file, in
> which i group together things that are related in my mind, and
> the setup for the calendar is about a third of the way through
> this.

That is definitely the way to go, I do the same:

http://alfaromurillo.bitbucket.org/dotemacs.html

> Thus [...] works better in my context, and is more robust,
> longer-term, than my original suggestion [...] So, thank you!

You are welcome. However, I think that it would be better to check
what exactly loads holidays.el in your configuration (I will
venture a guess that it is a call to org-agenda), and wrap that
part in a (eval-after-load 'holidays '(progn ...)), then you can
get rid of unnecessary code and you do not need to move things
around in your nicely organized org file ;-)

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: org-calendar-holiday and local holidays
@ 2015-03-03 13:43       ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2015-03-03 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> calendar-holidays, it is because you are calling something that
> loads holidays.el before you set holiday-local-holidays.

You're right. Now I understand. Thank you for explaining.