* kill contents of a headline, but retain properties
@ 2015-08-07 12:44 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-08-07 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have a headline like this:

* Gradebook
:PROPERTIES:
:CUSTOM_ID: gradebook
:END:

some content etc etc etc.

I would like to be able to replace the contents of that headline
automatically, but retain the properties.  Howeve,r if for some reason the
properites drawer is there I don't want to accidentally search to the NEXT
headline and replace ITS content! -- so I don't want to just
re-search-forward ":END:".  I tried this:

(org-open-link-from-string "[[#gradebook]]")
(kill-region (org-element-property :contents-begin (org-element-at-point))
(org-element-property :contents-end (org-element-at-point)))

But "contents-begin" of course starts at the beginning of the property
drawer.  I thought "org-element-contents" might help me but it doesn't.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
matt

* Re: kill contents of a headline, but retain properties
@ 2015-08-07 13:01 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-08-07 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a headline like this:
>
> * Gradebook
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CUSTOM_ID: gradebook
> :END:
>
> some content etc etc etc.
>
> I would like to be able to replace the contents of that headline
> automatically, but retain the properties.

  (org-link-search "[[#gradebook]]")

  (delete-region (org-end-of-meta-data)
                 (progn (outline-next-heading) (point)))

You can also create contents with a dynamic block, which will replace
contents at each update.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: kill contents of a headline, but retain properties
@ 2015-08-07 14:21   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-08-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price, Org Mode

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have a headline like this:
> >
> > * Gradebook
> > :PROPERTIES:
> > :CUSTOM_ID: gradebook
> > :END:
> >
> > some content etc etc etc.
> >
> > I would like to be able to replace the contents of that headline
> > automatically, but retain the properties.
>
>   (org-link-search "[[#gradebook]]")
>
>   (delete-region (org-end-of-meta-data)
>                  (progn (outline-next-heading) (point)))

Thanks for the wizardry, Nicolas.  Very helpful.

> You can also create contents with a dynamic block, which will replace
> contents at each update.
>
> can you just provide a skeletal example so I understand better wha that
means?  thanks so much!

@ 2015-08-07 14:40     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> can you just provide a skeletal example so I understand better wha that
> means?  thanks so much!

There's an example in the manual.  Here's another example:

In org:

    #+begin: thanks :pretext "We have received valuable comments from"
    #+end:

The function:

    (defun org-dblock-write:thanks (params)
      "Reads THANKS file in same folder and format.
    PARAMS can hold :filename, :keyword, and :prefix"
      (when (file-exists-p (or (plist-get params :filename) "THANKS"))
        (insert (or (plist-get params :keyword) "#+thanks: ")
                (plist-get params :prefix) " "
                (replace-regexp-in-string
                 ".*?\\(,\\)[^,]*\\'" ", and"
                 (mapconcat
                  'identity
                  (remove-if
                   (lambda (str) (string-match-p "^\\s-*$" str))
                   (split-string
                    (with-temp-buffer (save-excursion
                                        (insert-file-contents "THANKS"))
                                      (flush-lines  "^\\s-*$" (point-min) (point-max))
                                      (buffer-string)) "\\s-*\n+\\s-*"))
                  ", ")
                 nil nil 1)
                ".")))

You might want to add (org-dblock-update t) to some export hook.

Rasmus

--
This space is left intentionally blank