* Link type for HTML5 videos
@ 2017-01-22 17:15 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2017-01-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It would be nice to have a link type to export HTML5 videos. Currently,
the only way to insert videos is to use the #+BEGIN_video, #+END_video
block with literal #+HTML in them. This seems a little kludgy. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Arun Isaac.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Link type for HTML5 videos
@ 2017-01-22 18:08 ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2017-01-22 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Arun Isaac

On 01/22/2017 12:15 PM, Arun Isaac wrote:

> It would be nice to have a link type to export HTML5 videos. Currently,
> the only way to insert videos is to use the #+BEGIN_video, #+END_video
> block with literal #+HTML in them. This seems a little kludgy. Thoughts?

If there is to be a link type to videos, then I think there should be
one for audio too.

Scott Randby

@ 2017-01-22 18:22   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-01-22 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac, Scott Randby, emacs-orgmode

What would these links look like? And what should they render too?

@ 2017-01-22 21:40     ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2017-01-22 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, Arun Isaac, emacs-orgmode

On 01/22/2017 01:22 PM, John Kitchin wrote:
> What would these links look like? And what should they render too?

I wasn't suggesting support for the idea, I was just suggesting that it
makes sense to to both video and audio if they are to be done.

However, I currently use export blocks to do video and audio export. I
don't have a problem with continuing that practice since it works well
for me. Here are two examples:

#+begin_export html
  <audio
    id="audio-tag"
    controls
    preload="metadata">
    <source src="quadratic.mp3"/>
    Your browser does not support the <code>audio</code> tag.
  </audio>
#+end_export

#+begin_export html
  <video
    id="video-tag"
    src="quadratic.webm"
    controls
    preload="metadata">
    Your browser does not support the <code>video</code> tag.
  </video>
#+end_export

Styling is done via a CSS file.

It might be difficult to agree on what a video or audio link type
renders to by default.

Scott

@ 2017-01-22 21:59       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-01-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: Arun Isaac, emacs-orgmode

That looks too rich for a link to me unless alot of it is always the
same, or derived, e.g. the id tags.

Something like this is what a link would look like:

video:quadratic.webm

and the html export could certainly generate what you put in the html
block below.

See
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2016/11/04/New-link-features-in-org-9/
for how to make a link, try it and report back if it is useful.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

@ 2017-01-23  3:02         ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2017-01-23  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Arun Isaac, emacs-orgmode

On 01/22/2017 04:59 PM, John Kitchin wrote:
> That looks too rich for a link to me unless alot of it is always the
> same, or derived, e.g. the id tags.

That is why I said that agreeing on the default HTML export for the link
type will be difficult.

Scott

@ 2017-01-23  5:01         ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2017-01-23  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was thinking of something like

#+ATTR_HTML: controls
#+POSTER: quadratic.png
video:quadratic.webm

exporting to the following HTML.

<video controls src="quadratic.webm" poster="quadratic.png"></video>

> That looks too rich for a link to me unless alot of it is always the
> same, or derived, e.g. the id tags.

It is quite rich. But, note that even img tags, especially with the
newer 'srcset' and 'sizes' attributes, are quite rich. Yet, we use links
to insert inline images. If videos cannot be properly handled by links,
neither can images.

> Something like this is what a link would look like:
>
> video:quadratic.webm
>
> and the html export could certainly generate what you put in the html
> block below.
>
> See
> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2016/11/04/New-link-features-in-org-9/
> for how to make a link, try it and report back if it is useful.

I can use the new link features to develop something that works for my
particular use case. No issues with that. But, I was wondering if a more
general video link type can be developed for inclusion into org mode itself.

@ 2017-01-24  9:24 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2017-01-24  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:

> It would be nice to have a link type to export HTML5 videos. Currently,
> the only way to insert videos is to use the #+BEGIN_video, #+END_video
> block with literal #+HTML in them. This seems a little kludgy. Thoughts?

I think this is a good idea.  You can check if HTML5 is expected output.
IMO, it's not much different from doing the "right thing" for tikz files
in LaTeX.

Rasmus

--
This space is left intentionally blank