* Spurious "Non-existent agenda file" message?
@ 2018-06-08  7:38 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-06-08  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Suddenly, maybe after an update to Org 9.1.13, I get the error

  Non-existent agenda file refile.org.  [R]emove from list or [A]bort?

when generating the agenda.  However, the file exists (and has done for
years).  If I press 'R', the agenda is built, but the offending file is
not removed and entries from the file are included in the agenda.

The entry is the 3rd of 3 files.  I added a 4th to check whether it is
an off-by-one error, but still only the 3rd entries is considered
non-existent.

If I add a file to 'org-agenda-files' which really is missing, I get the
error, but when I press 'R' the entry really is removed from the list.
Even if I remove 'refile.org' from the list, I still get the error that
'refile.org' is missing.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Baffled,

Loris

* Re: Spurious "Non-existent agenda file" message?
@ 2018-06-08 14:46 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-06-08 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: org-mode-email

Sometimes I see this when a buffer is open to a file that has never been
saved. This can happen when I start a new org file and try to do some
agenda thing before I save it, or when some function/process opens an
org-file in a new directory for example, and an agenda thing happens before
it has been saved.

You could check to see if there is a refile.org buffer open (not
necessarily to the existing file, just one named refile.org) but that has
not been saved. I don't know why such a buffer would be open, but if it is,
it might be a cause of that problem.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2018-06-11  8:56   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-06-11  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

The problem didn't occur this morning when I constructed the agenda, so
I suspect you may be right about it having to do with some transitory
state.  However, I couldn't provoke the error by creating unsaved buffer
with the appropriate name, but I shall look more carefully at what
buffers are open next time the problem crops up.

Thanks

Loris

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Sometimes I see this when a buffer is open to a file that has never
> been saved. This can happen when I start a new org file and try to do
> some agenda thing before I save it, or when some function/process
> opens an org-file in a new directory for example, and an agenda thing
> happens before it has been saved.
>
> You could check to see if there is a refile.org buffer open (not
> necessarily to the existing file, just one named refile.org) but that
> has not been saved. I don't know why such a buffer would be open, but
> if it is, it might be a cause of that problem.
>
> John
>
> -----------------------------------
> Professor John Kitchin
> Doherty Hall A207F
> Department of Chemical Engineering
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Pittsburgh, PA 15213
> 412-268-7803
> @johnkitchin
> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu
>
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:38 AM, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>
>  Suddenly, maybe after an update to Org 9.1.13, I get the error
>
>  Non-existent agenda file refile.org. [R]emove from list or [A]bort?
>
>  when generating the agenda. However, the file exists (and has done for
>  years). If I press 'R', the agenda is built, but the offending file is
>  not removed and entries from the file are included in the agenda.
>
>  The entry is the 3rd of 3 files. I added a 4th to check whether it is
>  an off-by-one error, but still only the 3rd entries is considered
>  non-existent.
>
>  If I add a file to 'org-agenda-files' which really is missing, I get the
>  error, but when I press 'R' the entry really is removed from the list.
>  Even if I remove 'refile.org' from the list, I still get the error that
>  'refile.org' is missing.
>
>  Any ideas what I could try next?
>
>  Baffled,
>
>  Loris
>
>  --
>  This signature is currently under construction.

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de